Trapping???

ld-airgrafix

Im having issues with trapping, tried finding youtube videos, but they are few years old, nothing newer, and unless receipe has changed, then I m having issues. The planks hammer nails combo doesn't  work for me , is it a bug? recently I had to abandon a very good save because foraging wouldn't load up for me, now it seems to be trapping, hate starting new games not knowing if a feature will bug out or not

While I play survival character builds almost exclusively I still find trapping to be extremely wonky. I think it has to do with the "distance from character" requirement but it simply seems to be touchy at best for me. I personally see no problem with traps right outside your house catching things and feel like the fact that they don't is why people get put off by it.

I can confirm that its wonky. You need 75 tiles from the traps and you CAN NOT violate that, apparently, which means trapping anywhere near your base is out. I set up a system where i basically set down stones from forraging as a path and literally set sown a line of 75 stones one tile at a time and made a road. I drew a line that I wouldn't cross and then ran down the 75 stones when it was time to do the trap work. THis worked i think but then I had a nasty run in with carpentry and that character died. 

The easiest way to figure out the correct distance to your base is to use the farming information pop up. So plant one crop at your base, right click to get the information window, leave it open, walk into the direction you want to place the traps, as soon as you are in the correct distance the farming pop window will disappear.

Important is that you choose a place you won't visit often during the next day(s) during loot runs. And areas with foraging work for the most traps (except mouse traps). Mouse traps have a better chance in urban areas.

3 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

The easiest way to figure out the correct distance to your base is to use the farming information pop up. So plant one crop at your base, right click to get the information window, leave it open, walk into the direction you want to place the traps, as soon as you are in the correct distance the farming pop window will disappear.

Important is that you choose a place you won't visit often during the next day(s) during loot runs. And areas with foraging work for the most traps (except mouse traps). Mouse traps have a better chance in urban areas.

Interesting trick :)

Another way move about 10 tiles from the outskirt of your base area, start digging in a line for 75 tiles, setup trap after that.   Bonus you will get a trail to get back to your trap.  Especially useful in forested area.

You will be eating tons of rabbit and birds in no time.

Archived