"Bleak Outlook" Zombie game art

Ive been working on a game i decided to call 

6Nb6amM.png

(didnt see ANYTHING use a name like this through 6 months of google search monitoring and i feel like it sounds good and fits the theme)

so heres a dump of art im doing for it

Colorado Nature Scene mockup (pine trees are the only things i spent time on like 10-15 mins per tree, same with the sky and the rest like the mountain and rocks and grass are just crude quick mock up drawings i did where i basically just flailed my mouse around making lines like a madman to get a point across.

tOWGaOA.png

skies i made for the mockup

2803D86.png

i eventually used this one V

cQ0I07h.png

some character designs

zu6xi2s.png < Indianapolis BLUZONE military / volunteers

K2uE9y7.png < Human Basemodels (small sorry) took a long time to get an artstyle im happy with and this is it, basically stumbled upon it when i started randomly drawing vertical lines and realized that basic shapes get along                          well together to form small pixel art humans

apC2z1N.png  < Midwestern Suburb Home

well not much left to show or say since i dont wanna reveal too much, i decided to start this cause after playing the last of us i felt a void in me cause no game after it was able to do me justice and pretty much every game i actively play for my friend has me bored and uninterested, so i set out to create a game that had all the things i loved from the last of us (brutal violence, frantic (melee) combat, intense gunfights, desperate situations after society's downfall, traveling the usa, A WHOLE FUCKING LOT OF BEAUTY, the way survivors were portrayed like) and things i love from other games (open world traveling, freedom of choice, customization etc) along with adding a few things to it that i personally enjoy that neither had such as realistic blood splatter (differing from weapon to weapon like high velocity splatter from firearms and average dripping splatter from melee weapons for example) and a slightly more indepth fighting system that shares some minor similarities to condemned or mma games using grappling and different positions and attacks to gain an edge in combat, or a more realistic and enjoyable scavenging experience with fully animated looting for different containers and such

in the end this is a private project more or less as in im making it mainly so i can have something to play that i can actually enjoy and i already spent like 70 bucks on an animating tool called spriter and a pixel art tool called pyxeledit that im not really satisfied with so i hope ill actually pull through with this one this time

That's some mighty impressive pixel art you've got there, those trees are immaculate.  Definitely looking forward to updates on this.

If happen to need help with anything, I have a good amount of experience with Unity2D and a lot of free time at the moment.

(Also do art and animation.)

1 hour ago, Fuji said:

That's some mighty impressive pixel art you've got there, those trees are immaculate.  Definitely looking forward to updates on this.

If happen to need help with anything, I have a good amount of experience with Unity2D and a lot of free time at the moment.

(Also do art and animation.)

are you good at shading with pixels (creating shadows mainly) ?

• 4 weeks later...

i made a new artstyle for the characters, allows me to add a lil more detail although i have to redo a lot of the previously finished sprites now that the humans are a bit bigger

1QdpycQ.png  humans

n7Er6ME.png  bandits 1 "surplus"

dJI1rVu.png  bandits 2 "wanderers"

also got new clouds done, they look like watercolors now in my opinion and skies look much nicer than before 

t8b948F.png  sky1 "creepingnight"

rough draft on that one^ only had 3 clouds done and this one needed like 10 so i whipped a few extra up within like 5 mins so its not a sky that im going to include into the game cause i prefer quality over quantity

your thoughts on the characters, clothing, and skies?

OO1ptW5.gif  my first ever (spriter) animation pretty proud of it although it obviously isnt perfect //// also the arms are very long, i fixed it as seen in the pics above the arms are like 4 pixels shorter

its just a quick idea of what the running should look like, i went through several different types and im the happiest with this one-

the idea is that the animations are supposed to portray him as desperate, tired, starving *yet* powerful/intimidating, cautious and ready to cave your skull in by any means necessary

best way i found to show this in a running animation for example would be arms that dont move much but elbows flexed as a pseudo pugilistic stance, hes too tired to move them much yet ready to get into a fight

legs do most of the movement yet arent too 'energetic' while the body is slightly arched over as hes tired, yet ready like a spearhead to go in head first literally

maybe im just overthinking this but its practically midnight and i feel like goin to sleep now lol

Archived