Remove Carpentry Requirement for moving some furniture

CzarUltra

Realistically, moving a mattress isn't as involved as the game makes it seem. It's easier to build a log wall then move a bed.  That makes no sense. Sure taking apart a bed frame is kind of annoying, but anybody with a screwdriver can do it.  Same goes with bookshelves, tables, dressers, etc.  It makes little sense and for me at least, takes the immersion away from the game.

Same goes for moving crates, that's something that doesn't necessarily needs to be taken apart before you move it. It can be pushed/pulled or lifted -- if anything that would require a certain amount of strength and nothing else.

So I think removing any carpentry skill requirements from certain furniture would be beneficial.

1 hour ago, IndigoRebel said:

I 100% agree with this.

Same goes for a stove all you need to do is unplug it.

As long as it isn't a gas stove or a wood stove.

This stuff is a bit too nit-picky. Is this a decorating sim or a zombie apocalypse sim?

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:00 PM, CzarUltra said:

This needs to happen. I tried to move 3 beds and one couch, with 2 in carpentry and each of them was destroyed. I'm pissed lol

I know what you guys are saying, I have yet to be able to get my carpentry score above level two or three, but every house has at least one bed. Just go to another bed and try to move it. Your carpentry score is bound to improve in the process. Speaking as someone who has moved a bed or two in my day, keeping them from being damaged is difficult. Especially the ones that were kits from Ikea, etc. They seem to be designed to stay in place once constructed. I don't really see how this is too far off from reality. Sorry. Screws and fiberboard are a bad combination.

There are some real oddities still, though, like moving electrical stoves is hard enough as moving industrial stoves that are connected with kitchen absorbers, or moving the foldable beds being as hard as any kind kind of beds and possibly much more I haven't tested (like mattresses). I'm also annoyed by non-movable crates, especially seeing how they block each other, but at least that's less ridiculous than others :)

I have to give credit for the moving system being new, so that will hopefully improve over time.

However, I still agree with @CzarUltra and moving items that are not being bolt-on to the ground, should be possible by unskilled person without prior expertise, given he/she have appropriate tools. I've helped moving and (dis)assembling most of the furniture when we moved with my wife to another house and nothing really broke, as well as assembled ikea-like bed with a two-person mattress. Some of those things were indeed really heavy though, but not impossible to be moved by one person. If all, carrying it should tire you and slow you down (which is implemented, given the weight is right) and potentially risk you a back or similar injury (which is not implemented, but I assume will be somewhere down the road to accompany encumbrance moodle). At least the fridges are freely movable now, so maybe it's actually currently being worked on :) 

Gameplay wise, there are already other incentives and ways to level up carpentry, electrical and new metalworking skill other than simply picking things up - you can craft, construct and disassembly a lot of things, so allowing to move these things without prior expertise and losing crafting exp seems like a good deal.

I kinda wish the carrying system would be overhauled a little - picking up chairs and putting them into your backpack or holding them one-handed makes no sense. I really like the old generator and corpse moving systems a lot, as the items can't occupy anything other than your two hands that way. At least you no longer can pick up and drop furniture-items on ground, that's a progress :) 

P. S. It would be awesome if the vehicles could be used to help moving heavy stuff in the future. That would add some more depth to barricading and general decoration base building.

On 3/20/2017 at 2:47 PM, Erkinwine said:

I know what you guys are saying, I have yet to be able to get my carpentry score above level two or three, but every house has at least one bed. Just go to another bed and try to move it. Your carpentry score is bound to improve in the process. Speaking as someone who has moved a bed or two in my day, keeping them from being damaged is difficult. Especially the ones that were kits from Ikea, etc. They seem to be designed to stay in place once constructed. I don't really see how this is too far off from reality. Sorry. Screws and fiberboard are a bad combination.

Well if I were talking about playing in a singleplayer game, I'd grind until I had the capability to move the bed without any hassle -- that's never a problem. However, in the case I'm referring to, I was playing on RP server with skill gains set to a minimum.

And I disagree, I've moved mattresses and bed-frames of all shapes and sizes and I've never once damaged them more than just a scuff. They're usually quite sturdy and if the frame is metal, 9/10 you don't even need tools to take it apart. At any rate, even if you were extremely clumsy, it'd be next to impossible to destroy a mattress by dropping it.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:31 PM, CzarUltra said:

And I disagree, I've moved mattresses and bed-frames of all shapes and sizes and I've never once damaged them more than just a scuff. They're usually quite sturdy and if the frame is metal, 9/10 you don't even need tools to take it apart. At any rate, even if you were extremely clumsy, it'd be next to impossible to destroy a mattress by dropping it.

Metal bed frames are of little difficulty, except where they join with the headboard and foot. If these are not solid wood, you are going to have a problem, even if you don't damage it. Frames made entirely of wood are a different case entirely. I have encountered a number of frames, where holes need to be re-drilled once a screw is removed because the wood will no longer hold it. Trying to change where pieces are connected causes other issues with stability.

I never mentioned mattresses. The fact is, the game doesn't consider the mattress to be a separate component. The bed is a unit by itself. Break any part of the bed and the mattress won't work. That doesn't mean the mattress is broken.

Your problems are not caused by the game mechanics. They are caused by a decision someone made creating your world. That isn't the dev's fault. These are the rules of the world your survivors live in. Just like you learned to live with gravity, they must live with fragile furniture.

Actually, the biggest problem moving big furniture is getting it through the door frame ;). You will be tired AF, but everything is movable as long as it fits. Can confirm that after moving lots of furniture for our home, and I'm nowhere near as strong (though can't say either say I'm skinny by any metric; the opposite actually  :D). (Actually we got some help with it with a friends, but we didn't had to disassembly anything excelp remobing shelves/drawers and making sure the doors won't open by duct-taping it).

On the other hand I never moved a fridge, which are currently movable ;).Though I am genuinely surprised how the two people from the shop brought 2 meters fridge by themselves on our 3rd floor within several minutes lol. Can't say I'm not glad we bought it with the service for that.

I think it would be cool to not having disassembly some items to move, as I suggested here (sorry for shameless link), them (especially stuff as big paintings, which doesn't make much sense), but I'm not sure how feasible it is with the current mechanics.

EDIT: Which actually got me thinking, it would be nice to have removable shelves, it would be a nice alternative to craft it - hint, hint devs ;).

Edited by Faalagorn

18 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

EDIT: Which actually got me thinking, it would be nice to have removable shelves, it would be a nice alternative to craft it

I've thought of this, too. Perhaps some of these changes can happen later to cosmetically improve play and feel, but I'm happy enough with the way things work for now as I wait for the things that have a higher priority, like anims, NPCs, vehicles. I even heard mention of armor (Armour for the British and Canadian chaps). I could really dig some armor - even if it was just leathers for riding bikes, etc. Anything that keeps the zeds from sinking their nasty little chompers into my ever-so delicate flesh.