Issue with Custom Map Spawn Points

MonolithicBacon

Hello again folks. Dipping my toes into the mapping pool, but after so much time away, I've forgotten how to fix the issues that I managed to navigate last time.

At present, I've been following Ringo's new mapping guide as close to the letter as I can, but I've run into issues with the spawn points.

Similar to the problem Xeonyx had back in 2015 the spawn point tool does not seem to work as intended. I am able to place the diamonds onto the map, but upon selecting them, there is no menu of professions to choose from. Instead, I have to type a custom profession (unemployed and all have run into the same issues). Either way, if I type unemployed and set the spawn points, the coordinates update on my spawnpoint.lua with the following:

Spoiler

objects = {
  { name = "", type = "SpawnPoint", x = 1038, y = 1469, z = 0, width = 1, height = 1,
    properties = {
      Professions = "unemployed"
    }
  }
}

Once everything is saved and packaged again, I load up the mod as per instructions, find the map, create a new character (I've tried several careers including unemployed) and receive the following error message in the console.

Spoiler

1489427441070 znet: ZNetFriends::OnPersonaStateChange
1489427446297 Loading: media/maps/West Point, KY/objects.lua
1489427446387 Loading: media/maps/Muldraugh, KY/objects.lua
1489427446493 Loading: C:\Users\Bacon\Zomboid\mods\Mod_MeteorPark\media\maps\MeteorPark\objects.lua
1489427447064 MAX #ZONES is 14
java.lang.RuntimeException: can't create player at x,y,z=11702,6896,0 because the square is null
    at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.init(IsoWorld.java:1929)
    at zombie.gameStates.GameLoadingState$1.runInner(GameLoadingState.java:245)
    at zombie.gameStates.GameLoadingState$1.run(GameLoadingState.java:220)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)
1489427448938 znet: Java_zombie_core_znet_SteamUtils_n_1Shutdown

Can anyone see why the map would be failing to load? Am I wrong in thinking that it's the spawnpoint causing the issue (considering that the coordinates on the map and in the console are completely different)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I would love to put an answer up here permanently, as I remember the same thing happening 2 years ago!

Mono

I still think you're having some kind of settings issue from having multiple versions of TileZed. Your spawnpoint.lua looks completely off, should look something like:

function SpawnPoints()
return {
  constructionworker = {
    { worldX = 46, worldY = 34, posX = 40, posY = 152, posZ = 0 },
    { worldX = 45, worldY = 35, posX = 43, posY = 42, posZ = 0 },

etc.

I would still suggest that the first thing you should do is remove all version of Tilezed along with the contents of your "c:\users\yourname\.tilezed" folder and then re-install the latest verison without changing any of the settings, it should then work, havn't had any spawn issues with other modders using the guide so far.

1 hour ago, Butter Bot said:

Format looks off, unless this is special to the mapping tool itself. Take a look at how it's done with Project Zomboid\media\maps\Muldraugh, KY\spawnpoints.lua

Maybe I'm wrong, @RingoD123?

9 minutes ago, RingoD123 said:

I still think you're having some kind of settings issue from having multiple versions of TileZed. Your spawnpoint.lua looks completely off, should look something like:

function SpawnPoints()
return {
  constructionworker = {
    { worldX = 46, worldY = 34, posX = 40, posY = 152, posZ = 0 },
    { worldX = 45, worldY = 35, posX = 43, posY = 42, posZ = 0 },

etc.

I would still suggest that the first thing you should do is remove all version of Tilezed along with the contents of your "c:\users\yourname\.tilezed" folder and then re-install the latest verison without changing any of the settings, it should then work, havn't had any spawn issues with other modders using the guide so far.

I thought that too, and yet when I look at my spawnpoint.lua files for Phoenix, they had the same, strange layout. I'm wiping all versions of TileZed now and trying again, so I'll let you know.

Either way, could I just copy and edit the Muldraugh version to have only the spawn point that I have set (changing all coordinates and format)?

Just now, MonolithicBacon said:

I thought that too, and yet when I look at my spawnpoint.lua files for Phoenix, they had the same, strange layout. I'm wiping all versions of TileZed now and trying again, so I'll let you know.

Either way, could I just copy and edit the Muldraugh version to have only the spawn point that I have set (changing all coordinates and format)?

Yes you can copy another spawnpoint file and change your spawnpoints manually if you like, but going off how many little problems you are experiencing with starting a new project in the newest tilezed, something is definitely funky and probably worth sorting out before you go any further as who knows what else might pop up.

Agreed. I will move all of my old save files onto a separate drive (including the new map) and try to wipe all trace of the mapping software from the computer. Besides the downloaded files and the .tilezed folder, is there any other area that should be removed? Nothing to uninstall?

42 minutes ago, MonolithicBacon said:

Agreed. I will move all of my old save files onto a separate drive (including the new map) and try to wipe all trace of the mapping software from the computer. Besides the downloaded files and the .tilezed folder, is there any other area that should be removed? Nothing to uninstall?

I think that's all you should need to do.

Unfortunately, still no luck.

Every time I "Write Spawn Points" it creates this:

Spoiler

function SpawnPoints()
return {
  unemployed = {
    { worldX = 3, worldY = 4, posX = 138, posY = 269, posZ = 0 }
  }
}
end

While this is correct, in the objects.lua it reads this:

Spoiler

objects = {
  { name = "", type = "SpawnPoint", x = 1038, y = 1469, z = 0, width = 1, height = 1,
    properties = {
      Professions = "unemployed"
    }
  }
}

Two different sets of coordinates. I believe this is what's causing my issue. However, if I try to edit the objects file before loading up the game, it still causes the same issue.

This is what shows up in the console:

Spoiler

1489436746810 Loading: C:\Users\Bacon\Zomboid\mods\Mod_MeteorPark\media\maps\MeteorPark\objects.lua
1489436747043 MAX #ZONES is 7
java.lang.RuntimeException: can't create player at x,y,z=11702,6896,0 because the square is null

Sorry to continue to be a hassle!

Edited by MonolithicBacon

14 minutes ago, RingoD123 said:

You don't want an object.lua until you have created your zones, what happens if you just delete your objects.lua?

Nothing good!

Spoiler

1489438171445 znet: ZNetFriends::OnPersonaStateChange
1489438179269 Loading: media/maps/West Point, KY/objects.lua
1489438179360 Loading: media/maps/Muldraugh, KY/objects.lua
1489438179461 can't find map objects file: media/maps/MeteorPark/objects.lua
1489438179687 MAX #ZONES is 7