Police Gear

8 posts in this topic

I reckon some folks here have seen this on the Steam forums some time ago, but I wanted to compile a slightly updated list of some law enforcement gear that might be nifty to have in the game and appropriate to mention now, with the ever-approaching animations/clothing/weapons update.

I am also hoping to broaden the scope of to-be-included police gear beyond riot gear; this post is mainly about standard carry, normal police gear you'd find even in a small county sheriff's department that'd be appropriate for the setting of Project Zomboid. 

Let's begin!

1: Police Batons (Specifically PR 24s) - Tried and tested, these are traditional police batons; A weapon among law enforcement officers that would've been standard carry back in the early 1990s. Typically made out of sturdy plastic. Noted especially for its lethality.

Spoiler

Image result for pr 24The PR-24 - a symbolic image of law enforcement.

2: Police Bulletproof Vest - A common must-have with police officers that could be used to deflect bites in single player (and stop bullets fired by NPCs when the day arrives) , while also useful in multiplayer, with the drawbacks including weight and overheating.

3: Police Duty Belt -I find it a bit weird that I can find a pistol or a radio on a zombie when there's no place they could be hiding such items on their person; pockets are too small, and I don't see them clipped on. I do think it'd be useful both gameplay-wise and graphically to include somewhat of a visual cue as to what a zombie/player is carrying and where they're carrying it.

Enter: The Belt.

This is equipment that's a staple to police uniforms and designed to hold most of the gear used by police officers on a daily basis. They generally hold: handcuffs, pistols, extra magazines/pistol rounds, flashlights, handheld radios, batons, knife or multi-functional tools, keys, basic first aid items, and disposable gloves, which are used to treat wounded victims or investigate crime scenes, and could be used when moving corpses in-game.

Spoiler

Image result for police duty beltHere, the baton, service weapon, keys, and other general items can be seen on the belt.

4: Police Flashlight(s) - While there typically isn't a mandatory flashlight that police officers have to use, most carry one with them at all times.

-Some choose to use the big stinger-type flashlights, which are large and heavy (good for self-defense).

-Others prefer smaller flashlights, which can put out a radiant 1000+ lumens, enough to illuminate a street for up to a few hundred yards. The smaller flashlights can also can be mounted to pistols, useful during night pursuits.

5: Police Handcuffs - Very self explanatory item. Most handcuffs are made of steel, making them very durable and are near impossible to have the locks picked by perpetrators. Most police officers carry 2-3 pairs on their gear belts so they can apprehend multiple suspects when they are without backup, often when they are patrolling unpopulated or rural areas *cough* Muldraugh and West Point *cough*. This is one that could be useful in multiplayer for hostage situations, or in single player when NPCs are added.

6: Police Radios/Microphones - Officers use their radios to inform dispatch of the current situation. The radio is usually held in a pouch attached to a loop in the equipment belt and can be easily removed, while some radios have an external microphone attached to the radio that can be clipped to the uniform. Can serve as additional radios in-game while providing insight to local/county police chatter and military broadcasts.

Useful gameplay-wise to just attach it and inform both players and possibly NPCs of information, with above-mentioned radio broadcasts. 

Graphically - I think it'd just be awesome, and add a huge amount of atmosphere.

Spoiler

Radio1.pngUndeadDeputy2.png

Here, we can see the microphone still attached to the radio in both positions.  The first is regularly clipped onto the lapel of the uniform, while the second has slipped off.  In my opinion, both would add a great deal of atmosphere - especially to see a fallen officer with his microphone out, knowing he called for backup that no longer existed.

7: Police CruisersConfirmed! It is worth a mention that police cruisers tend to carry weaponry (usually a shotgun) in the trunk with some ammunition.  Police cruisers are also equipped with radios near the driver's seat that could be used for further communication, along with very loud sirens. :-D

All of these items were common around the 1990s, even in areas such as rural Muldraugh/West Point, and certainly in large cities such as Louisville.

I'd love to hear any thoughts, recommendations, or anything else on the subject. :-)