Vehicles act like one time sledgehammers

Zomboid

Vehicles should act like one time sledgehammers completely smashing a hole in a wall but then causing the vehicle to be totaled.  Also for the sake of charity you should have to BUCKLE YOUR SEAT BELT MANUALLY! If you don't a high impact should result in a very nice animated fly out of the windshield death.

Edited by Zomboid

3 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Vehicles should act like one time sledgehammers completely smashing a hole in a wall but then causing the vehicle to be totaled.  Also for the sake of charity you should have to BUCKLE YOUR SEAT BELT MANUALLY! If you don't a high impact should result in a very nice animated fly out of the windshield death.

You watch too many movies 

Иркутск-01.07.15ДТП-на-Волжской-1024x576.jpg

07fe579161b272d3f2329cf0cc8c7894.jpg

0dtpd.jpg

and how would you make it clear in game wich vehicle can break wich wall? imo people would just assume they're all supposed to break through and complain when that doesn't happen.

on the other hand, all the walls in zomboid are actually wooden wall masked as bricks, iirc, that's why fire spreads so easily. but still, i can see a lot of griefing with this implemented. i could just run my car through your defences if there are no real downsides of this other than breaking the vehicle

37 minutes ago, Livio Persemprio said:

and how would you make it clear in game wich vehicle can break wich wall? imo people would just assume they're all supposed to break through and complain when that doesn't happen.

on the other hand, all the walls in zomboid are actually wooden wall masked as bricks, iirc, that's why fire spreads so easily. but still, i can see a lot of griefing with this implemented. i could just run my car through your defences if there are no real downsides of this other than breaking the vehicle

I'd assume cars get more rare as time goes on and they wont be easy to maintain, and if you crash into someones house with a smaller car you wouldn't do much, but a semi truck or large vehicle on the other hand would do a bit of damage, but if you look at the pics i posted, not even a semi could get through most of the house, it got like 5 feet in and stopped.

30 minutes ago, Queen Glory said:

I'd assume cars get more rare as time goes on and they wont be easy to maintain, and if you crash into someones house with a smaller car you wouldn't do much, but a semi truck or large vehicle on the other hand would do a bit of damage, but if you look at the pics i posted, not even a semi could get through most of the house, it got like 5 feet in and stopped.

that's a good starting point, but there is no multiple level of damages to pre-made walls at the moment, right now you can either remove the tile entirely or having the wall standing proudly as if it were mocking our player made walls.

theoretically i'm all for it, but if we want to suggest it and have some chances that devs consider it, we need a way to make it work in the game without too much of an effort. for example adding different level of damages to pre-made walls looks like something easy, but it would probably require to rework every single wall in game, wich brings us back to the point where this would work as just removing the tile entirely like the sledgehammer does, wich again begs the question: how would it work with different kinds of vehicles?

27 minutes ago, Livio Persemprio said:

how would it work with different kinds of vehicles?

Really only need two classes of vehicles, one of which can maybe function as a sledgehammer at full speed. Whether it's a sledgehammer car or not though, full speed impact should mean destruction of car and "2nd story fall damage" for characters (unless we want seatbelts to reduce that).

Not a lot of things can easily be flattened by vehicles. Common houses can be pretty resilient if everything is done right. IMO it's not worth it to have it be a consistent thing as specifically "one time sledgehammers" until the game is capable of determining whether you are simply hitting siding or a brick wall and not let you plow through it if it's the latter. 

4 hours ago, Livio Persemprio said:

i can see a lot of griefing with this implemented. i could just run my car through your defences if there are no real downsides of this other than breaking the vehicle

This would actually be a good implementation of this, because this kind of thing has happened a few times in the Walking Dead universe and stuff like that. Raiding a base? Crash a heavy delivery truck through the front gate. I'd prefer this as opposed to having people simply sledge down walls and not even have the scrap to pick up after. At least this way you can incur PC damage and possibly broken limbs at the expense of a quicker entry and the attention of a lot of zed.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

you know what? i think you got a point. this would definetively be better, even though i haven't run into this issue myself yet because i can't enjoy pvp as long as the shooting system is so ridicolously broken, but that is a story for another day.

i'd really like some insight by some of the devs on how the health damage system is supposed to work when you crash your car into stuff, that would help a lot the discussion, but more or less i think the suggestion is pretty much good the way it is now, i can only imagine how cool would look to start a battle between groups with somebody smashing a wall open with a car. ok, now i'm hyped ;_;

12 hours ago, Drama_Setter said:

You watch too many movies 

You posted pictures of cars impacting at low speeds and or more reinforced buildings... concrete+brick... This game does take place in Kentucky and most of the houses are made of wood... but even brick will fall if it is thin enough.

Image result for car smash into house

2315802-3x2-940x627.jpg

Also it has a lot to do with the speed of the car...

AR-150409941.jpg

9 hours ago, Zomboid said:

You posted pictures of cars impacting at low speeds and or more reinforced buildings... concrete+brick... This game does take place in Kentucky and most of the houses are made of wood... but even brick will fall if it is thin enough.

Image result for car smash into house

2315802-3x2-940x627.jpg

Also it has a lot to do with the speed of the car...

AR-150409941.jpg

Is it made of paper? Lol wtf.

1 hour ago, trombonaught said:

Dude our North American homes suck. Cheap, bigger, but made of matchsticks :P   This matters in a post-apocalyptic world full of zombie-infected drivers!

Hey i live in germany and this place legitimately depresses me because everything is gray and dead looking, ill take our colorful and creative and cheap matchstick houses over sturdy gray rotting cement blobs everyday 

only european places with good looking homes I know are english / british and scandinavian ones (< the ones made of wood too) 

Edited by zoeyflower

I think it'd be kinda cool to be able to use a ute or semi trailer to do a lightning fast raid on a players base. but to balance it, you could do a couple things. make that type of car very hard to find, and make them very valuable. give the largest invintorys and the best fuel mileage and maybe the highest player capacity, and that way getting one is hard and super useful, but probably not worth the risk of losing unless your a hardcore player with loads of cars, or you desperately need something someone has. but server admins should have the ability the disable this as they see fit, like fire spread. and the injury risk has to be quite high as well, just to discourage reckless behaviour with them.

• 2 months later...