Wear on can openers

Snorrsenkel

10 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

I don't wish everything would break because that's excessively "gamey" and requires too much micromanaging. 

I've been using the same can-opener since the 90s.

Not to say everything is breaking all the time, but if in a "survival game" you can collect a handleful of items and never look back, it's not "survival-gamey" enough :P

A random damage function as per weapon degradation or even a 5% break chance on use (no item "condition" value) could put you in a situation twice a year or so where you go "darnt, time to treck into town to scavenge XXX" instead of "I will live forever among the trees." For realism's sake you definitely caaan live among the trees, but this game gets real repetitive in doing so and could benefit from more monotony-breakers.

What I like about the idea of breakage: With broken tools you are forced to leave your savehouse and do a looting mission once in a while.
Hiding behind 4 walls forever should be very hard, or in the very long term be impossible. It also forces the player to make more strategic looting and planning for the future.

Making plans for the future weeks and calculate risks is one aspect that I really like about the gameplay in PZ. Because you never know, you know?