Where has all the bread gone?

Humbug

Why is the rarity on bread so high? Pretty much every home should have bread, right? But I almost never find any in my looting sprees. I'm even finding more axes and other supposedly rare things than I do bread. What gives?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, grammarsalad said:

We need cows, and we need to be able to do the *other* kind of farming.  It is Kentucky after all...

Farming live stock will probably be put in whenever they add hunting wild game a thing, but it's not top priority. Also @Peetfighter why can't the Americans (Myself) just adopt the way the Germans process their milk, they're fine for like up to a month when left out UNREFRIGERATED (Until you open it)

4 hours ago, Queen Glory said:

Farming live stock will probably be put in whenever they add hunting wild game a thing, but it's not top priority. Also @Peetfighter why can't the Americans (Myself) just adopt the way the Germans process their milk, they're fine for like up to a month when left out UNREFRIGERATED (Until you open it)

A month? I work at a processing plant in the Netherlands that packs milk with a shelf life up to 12 months. But that aside, sterilized UHT milk wasn't introduced in the USA until June 1993, just after the fictive zombie outbreak of Project Zomboid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-temperature_processing#Worldwide_use

23 hours ago, Humbug said:

While I'm a big fan of milk, this thread was about bread and the lack thereof. Please don't hijack it. :(

I don't mean to hijack your topic, I guess its that I don't feel like bread is really all that rare. There are a couple bakeries that at game start you can hit for several loaves each, and now that breadmaking is viable with yeast and flour. Its really just a function that every fridge gets 1-8 items, and there are dozens of possible items that can be found in fridges, so you don't find as much food. I think as the game continues to advance with cars and larger maps, I rather doubt abundance of items will go up- if anything things will probably get rarer as the number of items continues to increase.

The other thing is that according to lore that a lot of people got the heck out of dodge, so there will be a greater than average number of homes found empty and with all the doors open in muldraugh and pileups of cars outside of town with (hopefully with trunks full of rotting and nonperishable food that they grabbed in a desperate gambit to get to indiana.)  

I'm not sure about Muldraugh in that particular period of time, but I think that bread should be found in cupboards as it's rarely being kept in fridges from what I know :). The bread also spoils really fast, so you have to be fast with running toward bakery, if you'd want to use it. It'd be nice to see more bread outside the refridgerators and bakeries, andit'd still spoil quick, similar to how quickly corn spoils at the corn fields :) 

Should be able to find bread in freezers as well tbh. It lasts for a pretty long time there. And I know it's kinda RNG but I've gone through several shopping marts (big ones too) and literally not find a single loaf of bread. In my current game I have like 10 axes and never found bread even once.

On 3/25/2017 at 10:06 PM, Humbug said:

Should be able to find bread in freezers as well tbh. It lasts for a pretty long time there. And I know it's kinda RNG but I've gone through several shopping marts (big ones too) and literally not find a single loaf of bread. In my current game I have like 10 axes and never found bread even once.

You right bread in freezers would be realistic, in my house we have one loaf sitting out and like 2 in the freezer at all time.

I have had little problem finding bread. Seems just as common as always. My problem is axes. Going on 18 days, now and still no axe. By now, I should have killed a zombie with one. I'm about to kill my 300th zombie. They have had pistols, knives, lots and lots of magazines and newspapers, but no axes. Normally, about 1 in 150 zombies has an axe. It's a good thing they don't use them on you. That would be rough.

1 hour ago, Erkinwine said:

I have had little problem finding bread. Seems just as common as always. My problem is axes. Going on 18 days, now and still no axe. By now, I should have killed a zombie with one. I'm about to kill my 300th zombie. They have had pistols, knives, lots and lots of magazines and newspapers, but no axes. Normally, about 1 in 150 zombies has an axe. It's a good thing they don't use them on you. That would be rough.

At least with axes you can craft the stone ones :). Bread isn't such needed commodity too, as as long as you have any food, you are fine, but I agree it's odd to not see much bread (and milk) but a plethora of fruits, veggies and meat. I honestly only know a few people if at all who don't have bread and milk in their homes, but it's not uncommon to only have fruits only sporadically.

1 hour ago, Faalagorn said:

At least with axes you can craft the stone ones :). Bread isn't such needed commodity too, as as long as you have any food, you are fine, but I agree it's odd to not see much bread (and milk) but a plethora of fruits, veggies and meat. I honestly only know a few people if at all who don't have bread and milk in their homes, but it's not uncommon to only have fruits only sporadically.

You can craft bread, too. Now, does your homemade bread break and become useless when you attempt to slice it? Your stone axe is likely to break the first time you use it.

27 minutes ago, Erkinwine said:

You can craft bread, too. Now, does your homemade bread break and become useless when you attempt to slice it? Your stone axe is likely to break the first time you use it.

Funny enough I think it does :P As in being unable to be added to certain evolved recipes in exchange to being able to be used as a base for one. On the other hand, I remember having no issues using stone axes for chopping trees on my previous playthrough. Will see if it's any troublesome this time, but I don't think so. On the other hand I had plethora of axes from the lucky trait, actually more that I could use - so personally I'm glad this part got changed. But again, the topic is about bread, not axes, so we're dertailing  a bit ;).

Archived