Vehicles look out of place?

Johnny Fisher

yes, they look "wrong" in a strange way sometimes..  at the end of the new video (1.58) you see that the police cars front is way bigger than it's back - even if it stands with the back to the "viewer" .. maybe it's just me.. but It looks "too much" to be right

i was thinking lot's of times that in the cars the "backweel you are not seeing" is "missing" - the car SEEMS to be a tiny bit too low at that corner ... but could be me and my eyes...

EDIT: with the new video, the last point is WAY better now...

2 minutes ago, nolanri said:

if you think it looks bad, just go back to using the car mod.... then you'll be like, yeah nevermind it looks great.

you are right - and I don't think they look "bad" - not at all !

but if something "looks a little bit strange" people will notice and if you look at the reviews of lots of games you will just get such things commented en masse - if it's something which can "work out" in EA it's better than later... to mention that some things MAY not be 100% right is not critic at all, just a hint...

and to be honest, the problem is not the people who are playing PZ for years now but the people who don't know it as good - they will not have the "nevermind it looks great" point of view at all.. we are all.. let's say... "a tiny little bit biased" :)

20 minutes ago, King-Salomon said:

you are right - and I don't think they look "bad" - not at all !

but if something "looks a little bit strange" people will notice and if you look at the reviews of lots of games you will just get such things commented en masse - if it's something which can "work out" in EA it's better than later... to mention that some things MAY not be 100% right is not critic at all, just a hint...

and to be honest, the problem is not the people who are playing PZ for years now but the people who don't know it as good - they will not have the "nevermind it looks great" point of view at all.. we are all.. let's say... "a tiny little bit biased" :)

saying the perspective looks odd is a good critique, and worth saying if thats your honest observation

d(- . -)
and yes, we fans have a biased point of view.
me being someone who is never picky when it comes to visual details, i was just pointing out the progress.

Like most 'new' features it does lack the spit and polish you would expect a fully functional component of the game.  As far as "does this look in line with what I expected?" Yeah, they look about right, given the isometric view complications and road size.

Household wise (all PZ players in various amounts) My 12 year old also felt that visually something was missing, but was unable to pinpoint exactly what it was, he mentioned the ambulance specifically in the video. My brother said it was how the bumpers looked at certain angles, how it looked raised slightly. When I look at it, I see the same problem as I did when they first updated the character models - it looks "odd". Not because it was implicitly odd, but because I wasn't used to seeing it. It still needs some work, but I think it looks acceptable for the game world.

In response to other posts; animated tiles might seem like a good idea, but is that going to vastly change the static nature of the game's tile system? I don't believe so. You could have course, design visual overlays over certain tiles to enhance the look and feel, say to make plants sway and grass move; I just don't see it as something that is greatly appealing when you look at the time you have to spend on getting it to look just right.  Half of the time I end up disabling features like that in games I play, because computationally it is taxing, and I just don't enjoy it. In certain games, like Flowers or Journey, it is very important to have environmental effects, but in action games it tends to just be a distraction.

I wanted to write about it too. I think, it's the lack of shaders or shadows. Or both. 

And minivans look a bit strange, like they're lowriders. Is it intentional or there is some kind of height limit or?..

Btw, what are those red marks on the police car at the end of a video? Are those indicating damage, or emergency lights?

Likely because of lack of basic shadows and shaders. The textures are "too flat" right now. It doesn't look bad, but you see that it's just a texture on a flat surface. Also the vehicles are lacking details like dirt and damage right now. I'm pretty sure it will look a lot better some day in the future. As it is now, I am just very happy we're going to get this at all (honestly never expected driving cars in this game).

And next up: Riding horses, plz.

Apart from the shadows and lighting, I think they're fitting well. But... They're looking too rigid when they're turning. Maybe if they were sort of "leaning" towards the outside of the turns, they would look more naturel. That and having the front going slightly up when accelerating and down when braking. But we're not in Grand Turismo so I'll stop being annoying lol

14 minutes ago, Teesee said:

Apart from the shadows and lighting, I think they're fitting well. But... They're looking too rigid when they're turning. Maybe if they were sort of "leaning" towards the outside of the turns, they would look more naturel. That and having the front going slightly up when accelerating and down when braking. But we're not in Grand Turismo so I'll stop being annoying lol

What's interesting is that the older video they reference in the blog post actually shows the leaning you're talking about, but I guess they got rid of it.

1 hour ago, Butter Bot said:

Might just be the ride height of vans hiding the effect, as well. Looks like all vehicles are the same height right now, but their sprite is much larger.

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.  Would love a dev to comment on what's up.  I definitely prefer the look of the leaning.

On 8/3/2017 at 0:07 AM, Burianu said:

What's interesting is that the older video they reference in the blog post actually shows the leaning you're talking about, but I guess they got rid of it.

Holy shit, so the collisions are not an animation! 

I am seriously impressed, i havent seen something like that in isometric view before.

Crashing through walls should be a thing. Remove the walls, add some rubble scenery on its position (should happen anyway, even when removing walls with the sledge), seriously damage the car and injure the player.

• 2 weeks later...

The vehicles definitely still look like they need a lot of work, but I'm sure they'll look more natural once they're in.

Nevertheless, I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little disappointed by the vehicle development progress, considering how long they've been working on them.

• 1 month later...

Very cool to see the progress but they do look a little odd. Some lighting/shading effects would help, but I don't know how feasible that is. They look perhaps a little too bright and clean. If they were more dull in appearance maybe they wouldn't stand out quite as much. But most of all they need to lurch on their shocks when they turn and accelerate/decelerate. The rigid gliding around looks very strange.

Still coming along nicely though!

Archived