Steam Beta Release - 31st Oct 2013 - Version 2.9.9.17 (0008)

RobertJohnson

The freeze / load issue will be sorted in next update, which is due at some point today.

I know this is the alpha of the beta or some test but i have one question.

In the future, what is the game going to relay more on?

CPU or Grpahics card?

Always CPU - no exceptions. With multithreaded rendering and certainly once we make the move to 3D geometry this will only become more so. Java code is slow as shit compared to C++ code, and running java code is CPU all the way.

"Recommended specs" on Steam will definitely say 'quad core' and minimum at best dual core, as this is pretty much the biggest factor in FPS.

Quad Core with good clock speed (say 2ghz) even with a poorer graphics card you should get pretty good FPS. 8 core, or quad core with about 3ghz and you're more or less definitely getting 60fps even with intel integrated graphics.

Basically at the moment I suspect those with bad FPS will be those with single or dual core. We need to get dual cores running well because according to Steam hardware survey some 50% of steam users have dual core. ;D

The freeze / load issue will be sorted in next update, which is due at some point today.

CPU or Grpahics card?

Always CPU - no exceptions. With multithreaded rendering and certainly once we make the move to 3D geometry this will only become more so. Java code is slow as shit compared to C++ code, and running java code is CPU all the way.

"Recommended specs" on Steam will definitely say 'quad core' and minimum at best dual core, as this is pretty much the biggest factor in FPS.

Quad Core with good clock speed (say 2ghz) even with a poorer graphics card you should get pretty good FPS. 8 core, or quad core with about 3ghz and you're more or less definitely getting 60fps even with intel integrated graphics.

Basically at the moment I suspect those with bad FPS will be those with single or dual core. We need to get dual cores running well because according to Steam hardware survey some 50% of steam users have dual core. ;D

Well hot diggity damn i am i am screwed

I have a  Intel Core 2 CPU @ 1.86GHz

So much for that one then

CPU or Grpahics card?

If you're screwed then we are screwed. As I said 50% of Steam users have a similar CPU you have ;) goes without saying we'll need to address this. At least to the point it's playable (and not horrible to play)

CPU or Grpahics card?

If you're screwed then we are screwed. As I said 50% of Steam users have a similar CPU you have ;) goes without saying we'll need to address this. At least to the point it's playable (and not horrible to play)

It's playable but still lags a ton, I have a intel I3, (quad core) and it's super slow. before this build however, I never once lagged ever. 

is there a way to fix this ? I cant click something in the world. Right and Left Mousebutton  doesnt work.

In the interface i can click anything

This was addressed last night with a very small hotfix update, which should have been downloaded if you use Steam. Make sure you're still on the beta build.

I can imagine how frustrating it must be to have people ask the same stuff over and over again.

Unfortunately now it's my time to do just that: Do you have a time frame for the next update?

You have done one hotfix today (that I know of). Can we expect more hotfixes for this build, or do

we have to wait longer for a completely new build?

You have a great game here. And I fully accept bugs and everything else that comes with early

access. I have no problem with this. For me, on the last build, the game didn't run perfectly but

it was playable. I bought the game last week and already have over 30 hours. I ask only because

I love playing your game. I do not criticise you in any way here. 

If you say, we'll try and fix the problems as soon as we can, then fine, I'll wait.

If you say, sorry you'll need to wait a month - that's also fine. But if so, then I would like to know if

it is possible to revert back to the last build?

It's the microstuttering that's bothering me the most on this build. Combat is really difficult now

when the framerate goes down. It's deadly even.

Anyway. Thanks for everything

TL:DR - Basically: keep up the good work. B)

I can imagine how frustrating it must be to have people ask the same stuff over and over again.

Unfortunately now it's my time to do just that: Do you have a time frame for the next update?

You have done one hotfix today (that I know of). Can we expect more hotfixes for this build, or do

You have a great game here. And I fully accept bugs and everything else that comes with early

access. I have no problem with this. For me, on the last build, the game didn't run perfectly but

it was playable. I bought the game last week and already have over 30 hours. I ask only because

If you say, we'll try and fix the problems as soon as we can, then fine, I'll wait.

If you say, sorry you'll need to wait a month - that's also fine. But if so, then I would like to know if

It's the microstuttering that's bothering me the most on this build. Combat is really difficult now

The beta build is just that. It's a beta build for an alpha game. It will be prone to bugs. If you want stable gameplay, download it off Desura, that is the most stable build there is.

If you did not receive the hotfix, please exit Steam entirely and restart it. Make sure Beta is selected in Properties and try to start the game. A small 40-odd KB download should begin.

Is this the same hotfix that was released last night that fixed the right clicking issue? Or was there another one released today? My downloads section said there was a download at like 3pm CST, but was 0kb. Restarted steam and nothing. What did the update address? 

The beta build is just that. It's a beta build for an alpha game. It will be prone to bugs. If you want stable gameplay, download it off Desura, that is the most stable build there is.

I think you misunderstood my post. What you wrote, I already know all that.

Btw - what does "Video Memory" and "Shaders" exactly do it the options menu? And can they

have a big impact on the stuttering?

is there a way to fix this ? I cant click something in the world. Right and Left Mousebutton  doesnt work.

This was addressed last night with a very small hotfix update, which should have been downloaded if you use Steam. Make sure you're still on the beta build.

cool Thanks ! Chould i reinstall the game or only update ?

Shaders provide pretty lights and shadows.

Video memory is sort of deprecated at this point, unless something has changed lately.

cool Thanks ! Chould i reinstall the game or only update ?

Just an update. Make sure that Beta is selected in Properties, though. Some have reported being mistakenly reverted to None.

Awesome update! Really loving Westside so far.

A few issues I've bumped into:

1. The Visual representation for player-made crates seems to have disappeared, both in the context menu and when built (a built crate still works as it should, it just doesn't seem to have any gfx. The context menu text is pushed to the left edge of the context menu where the image should be)

2. Some kind of hiccup occurs at regular intervals (about 30 seconds apart), no biggie really, game just freezes for a second and then continues on as normal.

3. The FoW (if you can call it that) seems to lag behind a bit, especially when you enter a room (visited or non-visited). It is possible to enter a room and not have the FoW disappear at all, leaving you fumbling around in a pitch-black room. It is easily remedied by holding down ctrl and moving the mouse to make the character look around, simply moving around seems to do nothing though.

I Think 2 and 3 might be preformance related (it feels that way when playing).

EDIT:

Adding a 4th:

While placing an item into a container, reloading a handgun causes the placing of the item to freeze (progressbar gets frozen) and you are not able to do anything in your inventory anymore.

Ow! And stomping zombies is awesome! No more are you completely defenceless just cause you haven't found a weapon... now all we need is a special move to kick zombies in the groin...

EDIT AGAIN:

Adding a 5th:

Exiting and reloading a saved game caused the following exception:

(Comment: Bunch of lua loading files)
LOADED UP A TOTAL OF 188 TEXTURES
Created object cube of size 90x90x16 (518400 bytes)
Exception in thread "World Streamer" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

at se.krka.kahlua.j2se.J2SEPlatform.newTable(J2SEPlatform.Java:40)
 at zombie.iso.IsoGridSquare.load(IsoGridSquare.java:1340)
 at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Load(IsoChunk.java:606)
 at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Load(IsoChunk.java:166)
 at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer.DoChuck(Worldstreamer.java:107)
 at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer$2.run(WorldStreamer.java:67)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

(Comment: This occured right after bug #4. Related?)

is there some new feature i forgot? Because....

All stuff together i wear 6 kg, (6/8) and even backpacks are also not full. But the game say im overcharged (10/8).

Schoolbag has 0,5 kg , no matter wahts inside, or is there something new ?

By the way, nice work !

Nice to see how this game getting better step by step

is there some new feature i forgot? Because....

All stuff together i wear 6 kg, (6/8) and even backpacks are also not full. But the game say im overcharged (10/8).

Schoolbag has 0,5 kg , no matter wahts inside, or is there something new ?

By the way, nice work !

Nice to see how this game getting better step by step

Yeah same here. There is something strange going on here. The weight doesn't seem

to add up on your character. Items in bags however show the correct weight from what

I can tell. But not what you wear "in your pockets" or on your person. It goes up and

down and doesn't make sense. Devs - have you been tinkering or is it a bug?