Digging underground, Caves, Mining and Smelting

Comrade Crimson

While I am aware that basements and sewers have been suggested, and that I have suggested trenches and the like in my other topic:

What if we had any naturally occurring caves (I am not familiar with Kentucky so I don't know if they would have any) as well as the ability to dig down and perhaps make mines underground whether for simply making a cellar, an underground bunker or to achieve the process of mining ores.

There could be various equipment all to do this, each transcending in their rarity in order:

Shovels, already ingame.

Picks, for hard rock, modestly rare.

Jackhammers, rare.

Bulldozers for lifting huge amounts of soil, very rare.

Dynamite/explosives, incredibly rare.

Drillbits for mining, extremely rare/nigh unique.

Being able to mine ores with various tools like drillbits and picks and potentially even jackhammers would be interesting, as one could merit ore. Obviously this would make a lot of noise so it'd constantly attract zombies. And digging underground there is the risk of cave ins, where players will have to build wooden supports or other forms of supports in their tunnels and chambers underground, lest the ground collapse on them.

A smelter forge could also be built, and such a thing has already been suggested by other people who want to craft armour and melt down metals so the suggestion wouldn't vary much from there.

I also think that having toxic gases could be a thing underground where if you open up an area there is a chance you open up a gas pocket, and either require a gas mask/respirator of some sort to survive it or you take damage the longer you spend in it, as well as becoming nauseous.

The whole metalworking update never got a furnace going (for smelting metals) because most of the community agreed that having you smelting iron to make X weapon was way too "Minecrafty".

So having the ability of going into a mine, pick up ore, transform ore and then give shape to the ore, well that is even more minecrafty than what the devs intended.

However if you really want to do this kind of stuff, try out Hydrocraft, it adds mines, ore, smelting and all that kind of stuff, but as this begin added to the vanilla game?

I doubt it.

8 hours ago, Blasted_Taco said:

The whole metalworking update never got a furnace going (for smelting metals) because most of the community agreed that having you smelting iron to make X weapon was way too "Minecrafty".

So having the ability of going into a mine, pick up ore, transform ore and then give shape to the ore, well that is even more minecrafty than what the devs intended.

However if you really want to do this kind of stuff, try out Hydrocraft, it adds mines, ore, smelting and all that kind of stuff, but as this begin added to the vanilla game?

I doubt it.

It does sound really minecrafty but underground bunkers that you could build would be dope and forging a sword or gladius and running around like a tincan would be pretty funny. I would mod it if i knew how :/

Not to piss on everyone's parade but the only way I see this possible (subterranean levels) is if there was a huge rewrite to objects/items/layers (layers is pretty much how this game is made) as it starts off on 0 already being ground level.

The alternative to this is to create a cell with no terrain and just total blackness (kind of how dungeons in games like UO worked) and then to set up points in the game where the user enters from the vanilla world. At which point upon entry the user would be teleported to said off-game location in a basement/dungeon/sewer/bunker.

Of course they've really tried hard to avoid having load points and have designed the game to have seamless transitions between cells. So this method would seem kind of the opposite direction of where their game started from. So I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't happen.. or at least anytime soon.

Well with metalworking at the very least, I think improvised weapons like with grinders and the like isn't too far fetched. I also think that digging basements wouldn't be too far fetched.

As for minecraft like comparisons, well in my humble opinion its just a matter of how you implement it. Minecraft is very arcadey about how it goes about, where as this would be intensely realistic.

There could be other reasons you may want to mine underground through stuff too, perhaps a sewer collapsed and you want to clear away the rubble and repair it a bit, and use the tunnels as a means to get about more safely than walking on the surface like in old bunkers, keeps and castles. A good amount of Britain for instance has these underground tunnels between important buildings of state and many ye olde castles and hillforts, hillforts being well within the construction levels of the zombie post apocalypse as its mostly just forts upon hills manmade or otherwise made of wood, palisade walls and perhaps a stone keep if were getting real fancy, had small little tunnels built here and there between outside and inside sometimes.

But I see your folks point. I still think at the very least the dangers of going underground like toxic gases should be apparent, because sewers with all that filth sitting stagnant would surely produce a lot of methane and I can't imagine the air quality being healthy down there. One would be nauseous at the very least.

1 hour ago, Capt_Paradox said:

Not to piss on everyone's parade but the only way I see this possible (subterranean levels) is if there was a huge rewrite to objects/items/layers (layers is pretty much how this game is made) as it starts off on 0 already being ground level.

The alternative to this is to create a cell with no terrain and just total blackness (kind of how dungeons in games like UO worked) and then to set up points in the game where the user enters from the vanilla world. At which point upon entry the user would be teleported to said off-game location in a basement/dungeon/sewer/bunker.

Of course they've really tried hard to avoid having load points and have designed the game to have seamless transitions between cells. So this method would seem kind of the opposite direction of where their game started from. So I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't happen.. or at least anytime soon.

Well they did release a video of basements being playable and without needing to be teleported. So its actually not far off. This is actually what im waiting on to remove some of the bridges on my own map.

Here's a video cause I couldnt find the mondoid. 

But still you should be able to forge weapons, I really don't think thats what makes it arcadey, i'm pretty sure it's the digging part, because it is the post apocalypse, theres plenty of stuff you could melt down and forge weapons with, i mean like look at the walking dead The Kingdom and The Hilltop both forge their own weapons out of iron and steel they've scrapped.

7 hours ago, Queen Glory said:

But still you should be able to forge weapons, I really don't think thats what makes it arcadey, i'm pretty sure it's the digging part, because it is the post apocalypse, theres plenty of stuff you could melt down and forge weapons with, i mean like look at the walking dead The Kingdom and The Hilltop both forge their own weapons out of iron and steel they've scrapped.

yeah, u have a point. I think that some things would be hard though, like making the bullet the right size for your gun.

On 3/3/2017 at 5:44 PM, TheWraithPlayer said:

yeah, u have a point. I think that some things would be hard though, like making the bullet the right size for your gun.

Its not actually as hard as you think to make a weapon forged of iron, you need a hard stone or wood surface, you need a preferably stone hammer, a piece of metal to work with, and any place you can get fire hot enough to bend steel/iron, and a bucket of water. Probably the most difficult thing here is a place you can get your Metal hard enough, i have a friend who's a blacksmith irl, they use more modernized stuff but he does enjoy just using a hammer and anvil. It would take time to learn but if i had the stuff based on my shallow knowledge, i'm sure i could make some kind of sword. (well you do need a grind stone to sharpen it so actually thats probably the most difficult part.)

Edited by Queen Glory

33 minutes ago, Queen Glory said:

Its not actually as hard as you think to make a weapon forged of iron, you need a hard stone or wood surface, you need a preferably stone hammer, a piece of metal to work with, and any place you can get fire hot enough to bend steel/iron, and a bucket of water. Probably the most difficult thing here is a place you can get your Metal hard enough, i have a friend who's a blacksmith irl, they use more modernized stuff but he does enjoy just using a hammer and anvil. It would take time to learn but if i had the stuff based on my shallow knowledge, i'm sure i could make some kind of sword. (well you do need a grind stone to sharpen it so actually thats probably the most difficult part.)

I never said blade making is hard, I'm just saying some things would be hard, such as bullet making. The bullet itself would be easy, but you'd have to find a way to make it the right size for your gun.

On this subject, but slightly different, I've thought it might be another type of trap for the game.

Larger game could be caught in pit traps with or without spikes at the bottom.

Since Zeds don't appear to climb very well, I have thought that luring a bunch of them into a pit and then tossing in a Molotov cocktail might make a nice little campfire for roasting hotdogs or marshmallows.  Might even make some smores.

21 hours ago, Erkinwine said:

On this subject, but slightly different, I've thought it might be another type of trap for the game.

Larger game could be caught in pit traps with or without spikes at the bottom.

Since Zeds don't appear to climb very well, I have thought that luring a bunch of them into a pit and then tossing in a Molotov cocktail might make a nice little campfire for roasting hotdogs or marshmallows.  Might even make some smores.

Have you seen their insane path finding. They'd just walk around and munch on you.

On 3/6/2017 at 10:51 AM, Queen Glory said:

Ok yeah thatd be hard, thats why most people reuse shell casing

Yeah, but you'd also have to make sure you got the right casing. In The Walking Dead when Rosita had Eugene make the bullet for her, the shell casing was wrong for the gun, meaning realistically none of the aftermath would've happened. Not trying to bash the show, a really big fan, just giving an example.

16 hours ago, TheWraithPlayer said:

Yeah, but you'd also have to make sure you got the right casing. In The Walking Dead when Rosita had Eugene make the bullet for her, the shell casing was wrong for the gun, meaning realistically none of the aftermath would've happened. Not trying to bash the show, a really big fan, just giving an example.

True, you'd most likely need a mold if you were to make a shell casing, that would most likely be the only way