Is Incest Wrong During a Zombie Apocalypse?

Franklin

This is a hypothetical situation. It's the end of the world. Zombies are roaming the Earth. You and your sister are the only two living humans to your knowledge. Luckily you and your sister have found a safe place to stay for many years with little to no trouble from zombies.  It's an underground bunker with years of food and supplies. 

However, you have a problem. You need to repopulate the Earth. The only person who you can have child with is your sister. She is the only other person alive. What would you do? Would you have sex with her to repopulate the Earth or would you let the human race become extinct?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..... Just.....

Alright lets put aside the socially acceptable standards of humanity and look at the facts. Even if you weren't genetically related it's not really plausible to repopulate a species on just 2 genetic templates. You need Bio Diversity inorder to sustain a population otherwise that genetic template begins to degrade and break down. Within 3-5 generations your template would have degraded by about 30% and the offspring would be incapable of taking care of themselves eventually leading to the extinction of a race anyways.

Now take the fact that you have 2 people of similar genetic traits you can expect this process to happen sooner where you can expect to see genetic degradation within 1 generation. The premise of only needing 2 of each species to ensure a species survival is an inaccurate assumption. Sexual reproduction evolved purely to speed up evolution and help creatures mix and combine genetic traits and create new and better strands of DNA in the offspring. As well as needing a substantial population you also need sufficient Bio Diversity to ensure a species survives.

So in answer to your question no, my sister and I would remain very much separated. For the simple fact that on all fronts it would be implausible and impractical. But mainly because EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW (no offense to her).

I agree with TinnedEpic. Diversity is very important. Plus, imagin it is just you and your sister (or your brother, whatever) left on earth. starting to repopulate the earth with just 2 humans is impossible and will lead to incest in the next generation and so on...

this is a kind of silly question for this forum.

BUT,
Ya'll do realize that every single person on earth with blue eyes is traced back to one person? diversity comes from mutation not from a pre-existing availability of it. In fact the genetic code from just two humans is capable of creating approximately 70 trillion distinct human beings without copies. granted them being siblings will decrease that amount a bit, but not by as much as you would think. And if you think about it technically every single human on earth commits incest, albeit in a very diluted form, any time they reproduce. Because that's just the way evolution works.

I did a little reading... Without DNA degradation the effective amount of people required to repopulate a colony would be roughly 16 couples (with diverse genes. ie. not people from the same town of 1000) with perfectly planned breeding for at least 3 generations. But in natural conditions most species require about 100 to 200 to survive (due to everything. also...zombies...). A species will not survive without crippling defects with an amount that's smaller than this.

An example from history is Charles II of Spain who was seriously disabled (mentally and physically) due to lots of uncle - niece relations in the family line.

Sorry for no sources as I was surfing on too many tabs to count :P. But you can also find this information somewhat in Wikipedia, though you'll have to do the counting yourself 'coz it only holds the math behind it...

So incest: don't do it, ever.

Don't forget, if you're religious you may believe in Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. So. Allllllll of mankind come from those two human beings, and Eve came from Adam's ribcage...

That would make us the most fucked up species to ever inhabit this planet.

The question then would be, is ist still incest if you reproduce with basically yourself? :???:

Don't forget, if you're religious you may believe in Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. So. Allllllll of mankind come from those two human beings, and Eve came from Adam's ribcage...

That would make us the most fucked up species to ever inhabit this planet.

This is the reason I regret NOT asking awkward questions back in primary school. Some of the answers would have been damned entertaining :P

The reason its not a good idea, in laymen's terms, is because everyone carries two sets of genes, one set goes unused, one set used. When the sperm and egg thang happen the child gets some random combination of genes that could come from either set of the parents genes.

Often recessive genes with completely fucked mutations that would cause mental problems or birth defects are carried for hundreds of years by many successive generations totally without incident, because children will get the dominant equivelent of that gene from either parent instead.

Now you have a brother and a sister, if either of their parents have some dodgy recessive gene then there is a good chance all their children do too. and if some brother or sister urgh, both with his recessive gene, and suddenly you have a dramatically increased chance that the child won't have a dominant equivalent to relegate it, and the child will have to use those fucked up genes as active blueprint for growing body and mind, and therefore become deformed or have other...issues. And of course THEIR children would almost certainly have the same issues, and DEFINITELY would with their own bro/sis.

So 1) It's gross. 2) It'd just lead to a civilization of deformed dumbos and 3) Every generation would get deformed and more dumb until it was just impossible to reproduce. At which point humanity dies, and has the shame of knocking on extinction's door as a bunch of brother/sister fuckers.

Doesn't matter if there are zombies or not. :P don't bang siblings

I don't see the issue with it, at all. Who cares if Dave's banging his sister? As long as the offspring won't have any defects that impede on their ability to live normally and healthily, why would it be wrong?

Why would it be wrong if they don't even have kids?

That's my thought. If me and my sister are lonely and it's the end of the world, I'd say "fuck it."

However, I wouldn't want kids. Because of the whole issue with genetics. But still, if I was lonely enough...

Doesn't matter if there are zombies or not. :P don't bang siblings

This needs to be tweeted and hash-tagged by TIS

#dontbangsiblingsduringapocalypse

This is a hypothetical situation. It's the end of the world. Zombies are roaming the Earth. You and your sister are the only two living humans to your knowledge. Luckily you and your sister have found a safe place to stay for many years with little to no trouble from zombies.  It's an underground bunker with years of food and supplies. 

However, you have a problem. You need to repopulate the Earth. The only person who you can have child with is your sister. She is the only other person alive. What would you do? Would you have sex with her to repopulate the Earth or would you let the human race become extinct?

What.

Yes, let's all have Down's Syndrome kids running around an zombie infested world.

I don't see the issue with it, at all. Who cares if Dave's banging his sister? As long as the offspring won't have any defects that impede on their ability to live normally and healthily, why would it be wrong?

Why would it be wrong if they don't even have kids?

That's my thought. If me and my sister are lonely and it's the end of the world, I'd say "fuck it."

However, I wouldn't want kids. Because of the whole issue with genetics. But still, if I was lonely enough...

That's friggin' gross, seek medical help.