Animations will one day be released hype thread.

Jack Bower

Im hyped to see if they have special kills for axes like the instant kills for kitchen knifes.

Hope well see the player jamming the axe into the dome and then kicking the zombie off that would be so badass the last of us style!

always disliked seeing the player swing a 3 pound axe into a half rotten skull like 19 times just to have the zombies stagger away a bit and grunt before simply falling over generically.

Also can't wait for the visible backpacks, blood and gore, the clothing, and the shit ton of new weapons

Edited by zoeyflower

10 hours ago, zoeyflower said:

Also can't wait for the visible backpacks, blood and gore, the clothing, and the shit ton of new weapons

I think those are the things that i want the most, the backpacks, more weapons and clothing, sweaters can do so much fashion after a while.

But seriously i just want the animations out into the wild so the damn train to the 1.0 destination can get going already, i still think of how in November i was saying that the animations would be out by mid January, now i dont even think we might see them until May, reigniting the hype i had for NPCs and Animations only hurts me in the long run by this point. 

Honestly, the anim update is probably when I'll come back and play again for anything other than "Get to an 'I win' point for that build and stop playing for a while.  Not that this is a bad game, far from it -- I'm just trying to make sure I don't get horribly burnt out long before all the dev work is done.  

Personally, I'm on the fence as far as animations are concerned.

I don't play Project Zomboid for the graphics. If I want a zombie game where the developers spend more time working on the visual aspects of the game rather than game play, then I'd just play 7 Days to Die instead.

The animation update will be released, the complainers will move onto the next thing promised from the developers, and the cycle will continue.

From a player who hasn't touch upon mods yet, I'm personally looking forward to more guns, NPC's and vehicles a lot more than animations. The  map system and the hidden cache's have been great additions to the game in my opinion, and I'd like to see a lot more things implemented along those lines.

Toodles

1 hour ago, BaldGuyPlaysGames said:

If I want a zombie game where the developers spend more time working on the visual aspects of the game rather than game play, then I'd just play 7 Days to Die instead.

What? 7 Days to Die is so visually disturbingly terribad that I quit playing and tried refunding (didnt succeed tho cause of over 2 hrs playtime)

7 days to die is literally more painful to look at than a pile of steaming poop, dont even get me started on these giant parka leather trench coat down jacket thingies that are completely skintight in shape but somehow 9 times as fat as the body under em

Literally minecraft looks better than 7dtd

Also if im correct theres specific people working on the anims, specific people working on the coding and other stuff etc so anims time shouldnt be slowing down other development time, its a great update that will make the game much more fun to play and look at for those that like visuals AND gameplay

Edited by zoeyflower

3 hours ago, zoeyflower said:

What? 7 Days to Die is so visually disturbingly terribad that I quit playing and tried refunding (didnt succeed tho cause of over 2 hrs playtime)

7 days to die is literally more painful to look at than a pile of steaming poop, dont even get me started on these giant parka leather trench coat down jacket thingies that are completely skintight in shape but somehow 9 times as fat as the body under em

I made no comment on how good or bad the graphics on 7 Days to Die are. I was merely using the game as a example of one where the developers are spending all their time tweaking and adding options to the graphics of the game, at the expense of game play. This is just my opinion.

Toodles

Gameplay is conveyed through animations unless you like timed action bars for everything or ASCII / rouge-like tilesets . . . Looking nice is just a bonus, though it can't be discounted that most PC gamers, even when it comes to indie games, like something that's visually appealing and intuitive from a graphics standpoint.

9 hours ago, Storm6436 said:

Honestly, the anim update is probably when I'll come back and play again for anything other than "Get to an 'I win' point for that build and stop playing for a while.  Not that this is a bad game, far from it -- I'm just trying to make sure I don't get horribly burnt out long before all the dev work is done.  

This.

On 2/27/2017 at 7:53 AM, Butter Bot said:

Gameplay is conveyed through animations unless you like timed action bars for everything or ASCII / rouge-like tilesets . . . Looking nice is just a bonus, though it can't be discounted that most PC gamers, even when it comes to indie games, like something that's visually appealing and intuitive from a graphics standpoint.

Pretty much.

On that point, I suppose my only real complaint when it comes to the "intuitive" bit is that if you aren't using a wiki or something similar for recipe listings, it can be rather mystifying how one can use certain things.  A whole bunch of things are kinda obvious. Unpopped popcorn?  Oh look, there's a microwave.  First time I wanted to do metalworking though?  That said, given the level of detail the devs are putting into everything else I figure that'll get addressed adequately sooner or later.

On 27/02/2017 at 6:43 AM, BaldGuyPlaysGames said:

I don't play Project Zomboid for the graphics. If I want a zombie game where the developers spend more time working on the visual aspects of the game rather than game play, then I'd just play 7 Days to Die instead.

The animation update will be released, the complainers will move onto the next thing promised from the developers, and the cycle will continue.

From a player who hasn't touch upon mods yet, I'm personally looking forward to more guns, NPC's and vehicles a lot more than animations. The  map system and the hidden cache's have been great additions to the game in my opinion, and I'd like to see a lot more things implemented along those lines.

Toodles

Actually I'm right there with you. The graphics and animations do their job just fine, I never expected a deep graphics system. I wanted to see gameplay features, mechanics and variety.
Which I HOPE are somewhere in the updates list... after animations, reskins and the inevitable sound overhaul...

The game has been deprived of any proper  Clothing options or sprite additions because of that all being on hold for the animation update. 

I wont think " thank you" when the update comes ill more think "its about time"

and im not looking foward to some of the "immersion" aspects like tripping, ive played Mount and Blade games with tripping and can say that I dont like it. Its unnecessary and since its random you can have the character trip 3 times in a row.  Then from what ive seen in their demo of the animations the man who tripped was laying on the ground for waaaay too long.

In real life When I trip I get immediately up even when I broke my leg from tripping on the sidewalk years back, even when I was hit by a moving vehicle while riding my bike I sprang up from the ground so fast with a "IM OKAY!" Vibe.

so I would think in a zombie situation Id get off the ground faster than sonic boom speeds.

if my character trips ingame and spends a few seconds laying on the ground wallowing in his embarrassment which ends up killing him, then im going to be disappointed with their update.

On 2/27/2017 at 1:43 AM, BaldGuyPlaysGames said:

Toodles

I dont know what complaints youre reading because all complaints Ive read are usually about NPCs, and those will continue even with the animation update or a vehicle update. Simply because some people dont play the game online and the singleplayer experience is very easy to get burnt out on.

5 hours ago, littleblueboxes said:

Actually I'm right there with you. The graphics and animations do their job just fine, I never expected a deep graphics system. I wanted to see gameplay features, mechanics and variety.
Which I HOPE are somewhere in the updates list... after animations, reskins and the inevitable sound overhaul...

I guess you are not up to date of what the animation system is all about.

I can give a damn about clothing/gore features by this point, but the animation system is a overhaul of ALL the gameplay mechanics of the game, its the one thing that is holding up the progress of NPCs, hunting animals, improved stealth, looking around corners and all of the features to the road towards 1.0.

When the NPCs are in, they will be animated so you can see what they are doing, same goes to hunting (stealth and running, getting attacked by X animal), the ability to easily add more animations/weapons/items and see backpacks on players back is a huge thing that is needed.

Also i dont understand how they got vehicles working without the animations in place, because i think that IF they got the vehicles first into the game before the animations, well i guess that means a truckload more of work to make them function with the animations again.

But overall this is what makes the wait for the animations such a frustrating thing for me that i havent touched the game in a long time, just seeing the animations as a massive gateway into 1.0 is frustrating because the expectation of the community of probably seeing the game leave early access by the end of the year was high, now i doubt we might see the implementation of NPCs until next year.

You know, I just laughed at the idea that just came to mind.  The sole survivor standing at the end of a road, beaten, bloody...  UMP45 slung over her back as a horde of countless Zs approach.  The survivor lights a molotov, flips the oncoming crowd the bird and lobs the cocktail as she pulls her tomahawk off their belt.

Seriously, flipping off zombies needs to be a thing.  It's precisely what almost every last one of us would do in the face of those sort of odds.  You know it. I know it.  A few will lie about it. :D

Edited by Storm6436
Gendered pronouns make the meaning a bit clearer.

15 hours ago, Blasted_Taco said:

But overall this is what makes the wait for the animations such a frustrating thing for me that i havent touched the game in a long time, just seeing the animations as a massive gateway into 1.0 is frustrating because the expectation of the community of probably seeing the game leave early access by the end of the year was high, now i doubt we might see the implementation of NPCs until next year.

Maybe I'm just different from everyone else that plays this and other early access games, but I really don't concern myself with a release date. Quite frankly, I have a dozen or more games in early release, but I've never been part of an early release game that has ever been released. I don't buy them for what they might be. I buy them for what they are, and I think everyone else should too. Why, because no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

If you have all your hopes hung on what you think will be, you are almost guaranteed to be disappointed. That doesn't mean that the developers have failed you, it just means that you interpreted their promises differently than they did.

Here's my philosophy - think of it what you will, but remember, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs made a "buyer beware" industry out of electronics a long time ago. It's time people figured it out.

When you see an early release game out there, ignore the words "early release". Look at the game as it is and look at the price. Ask yourself, is it worth that price? If your answer is yes, by all means, buy it. If not, don't. If you are not sure, bookmark it and go back when it gets updated and see if your answer changes, but for goodness sakes, don't buy a game for what it might be one day.

If you are that driven to help something get going, then go to kickstarter and "invest" in something or apply somewhere as a playtester, but don't pay for the privilege.

I have been quite impressed with the development of this game and don't care one bit about the speed of that development. Some of the other early release games I bought showed tremendous activity for a time, then they suddenly stopped. Word came out much later that the developers gave up on them. Was I cheated? Of course not. I had what I paid for. Was I disappointed? Maybe at first, but I got over it. I've also paid more than $60 for a game that was tested and marketed and had great reviews, but was simply crap with so many problems, I couldn't finish the first play-through.

It's fine to anticipate new releases and changes to the game, but don't invest yourself too emotionally in them. It isn't the end of the world if you have to wait a few weeks, months or even years for them.

Also remember that the developers appreciate your input, when it is constructive and they like to know that you are looking forward to their next release. I like the point of this thread.

Blasted_Taco, I may have waited a while to get to this, but I'm not being critical of what you said. It just seems to be the kind of thing that can turn this from a positive thread into a negative thread. Quite frankly, I've read a number of your contributions and they are generally constructive, as I think the point of this post was.

3 hours ago, Erkinwine said:

Maybe I'm just different from everyone else that plays this and other early access games, but I really don't concern myself with a release date. Quite frankly, I have a dozen or more games in early release, but I've never been part of an early release game that has ever been released. I don't buy them for what they might be. I buy them for what they are, and I think everyone else should too. Why, because no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

If you have all your hopes hung on what you think will be, you are almost guaranteed to be disappointed. That doesn't mean that the developers have failed you, it just means that you interpreted their promises differently than they did.

Here's my philosophy - think of it what you will, but remember, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs made a "buyer beware" industry out of electronics a long time ago. It's time people figured it out.

When you see an early release game out there, ignore the words "early release". Look at the game as it is and look at the price. Ask yourself, is it worth that price? If your answer is yes, by all means, buy it. If not, don't. If you are not sure, bookmark it and go back when it gets updated and see if your answer changes, but for goodness sakes, don't buy a game for what it might be one day.

If you are that driven to help something get going, then go to kickstarter and "invest" in something or apply somewhere as a playtester, but don't pay for the privilege.

I have been quite impressed with the development of this game and don't care one bit about the speed of that development. Some of the other early release games I bought showed tremendous activity for a time, then they suddenly stopped. Word came out much later that the developers gave up on them. Was I cheated? Of course not. I had what I paid for. Was I disappointed? Maybe at first, but I got over it. I've also paid more than $60 for a game that was tested and marketed and had great reviews, but was simply crap with so many problems, I couldn't finish the first play-through.

It's fine to anticipate new releases and changes to the game, but don't invest yourself too emotionally in them. It isn't the end of the world if you have to wait a few weeks, months or even years for them.

Also remember that the developers appreciate your input, when it is constructive and they like to know that you are looking forward to their next release. I like the point of this thread.

Blasted_Taco, I may have waited a while to get to this, but I'm not being critical of what you said. It just seems to be the kind of thing that can turn this from a positive thread into a negative thread. Quite frankly, I've read a number of your contributions and they are generally constructive, as I think the point of this post was.

Dude the president of my country is a bafoon.

The $#/! Can hit the fan tomorrow or next week.

I goto work and people are scared of whats instore for our future. 

And at a lesser extent peoples computers get fried or they lose themselves with a kid or work. S#/! Indeed happens

I haven't been able to play a game at my own leisure for 6 years now, Im always playing knowing there are 50 things I need to do. And I know its not much longer until I have to commit all my time to work and family.

The game may be here forever but we cant. Thats a legit fear knowing you might not have the time to experience something you want to experience. Even if its something a simple or petty as a game.

The same can be said for the developers.

Taco gave a crap enough to voice his opinion, which I agree with his opinion.

And he made plenty of valid points supporting the update. But it was still a poor decision to put so much on hold for the update. Gameplay over graphics was always my opinion and majority of people who visit this forum most likely have that opinion aswell.

We are the cult followers of this game we are part of its life, all our voices matter. And we all care for the game to some extent if we are here having a discussion about it.

And as an artist and writer I can admit I prefer more critical analysis of my work than praise.

Edited by IndigoRebel

2 hours ago, Erkinwine said:

I totally get what you are saying, when PZ was given to me (because at the time i didnt manage to get to pay for the game, there was no Steam to buy the game, instead it was this weird page, keep in mind, this was around December 2011, when the Steam update hit i bought it there) the whole concept of the game was brilliant, there was no game like this in the market and early access was not even a thing, the tech demo was something that hook me up so much for at least more than 15 hours just trying to survive in that small map.

At that time the concept of early access was not existent, Minecraft was the big thing that did it right at the time and the devs follow the lead on how to approach their game.

As i read what i wrote above me i realize that i am going headed into a rant of why i love Project zomboid, but instead of that i will get to the point, i love this game as it is, i gifted this game several times to different friends and hardcore sold the game concept to other people so they would buy it (as the game stood), but recently defending this game became harder because the whole animations thing blueballed a lot of people, including me and i am sure the community agrees as a whole that we felt the animations so close that we were expecting it back in October, but shit happens and they got delayed.

Project Zomboid, Rimworld, The Long Dark and Neo Scavenger are the only early access games that i have supported from beginning to end, not because of the promise of what its going to be, but because the game itself in the state i found them were good, however i have notice that when there is one big feature in the horizon, i stop playing the game because i felt i really want to experience that feature before getting burned out with the game, as you can tell, that is a very personal issue and not one that the community shares.

I dont blame the devs for the time they take with updates, i know they are always working in the full spectrum of what they accomplish and i respect them because even when shit hits the fan, they keep pushing forward to get their game finished. I know that the animations will eventually arrive, but god damn its has been a long time since 2011.

Also funny thing:

2 minutes ago, IndigoRebel said:

I haven't been able to play a game at my own leisure for 6 years now, Im always playing knowing there are 50 things I need to do. And I know its not much longer until I have to commit all my time to work and family.

The game may be here forever but we cant. Thats a legit fear knowing you might not have the time to experience something you want to experience. Even if its something a simple or petty as a game.

The same can be said for the developers.

You took words out of my mouth, seriously.

When this game came out in 2011, i was just starting college, its 2017 now and the years are starting to show me how much shit you must endure once you reach this age, with thesis, work and other work/school related stuff going on, i can barley play and its a very scary feeling to think that maybe next year i wont be able to fully enjoy the game because of insecurity reasons (like seriously there has been around 6 deaths around of where i use to go to college, 6 deaths per week in that area alone), work,economical reason (this country is going to hit the shit in the fan next year, the shit has been stuck there for a long time) or health reasons, i just want to see the game finished because of that reason, i know it sounds absurd, but pouring 5 years into following a single game and checking each monday morning for at least 4-3 years actually becomes somewhat part of you life, its just a funny thought.