Animations will one day be released hype thread.

Jack Bower

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, Blasted_Taco said:

Also funny thing:

You took words out of my mouth, seriously.

When this game came out in 2011, i was just starting college, its 2017 now and the years are starting to show me how much shit you must endure once you reach this age, with thesis, work and other work/school related stuff going on, i can barley play and its a very scary feeling to think that maybe next year i wont be able to fully enjoy the game because of insecurity reasons (like seriously there has been around 6 deaths around of where i use to go to college, 6 deaths per week in that area alone), work,economical reason (this country is going to hit the shit in the fan next year, the shit has been stuck there for a long time) or health reasons, i just want to see the game finished because of that reason, i know it sounds absurd, but pouring 5 years into following a single game and checking each monday morning for at least 4-3 years actually becomes somewhat part of you life, its just a funny thought. 

I understand what you are saying along with IndigoRebel, but let me give you some free advice and I promise you it is worth every penny. Before I do, though, let me explain that I am not a high school or college student. I'm in my 50's. I have a family and a job I've worked for the last 17 years. In 2010, I went back to college, while working and got my associates, my bachelor's and my MBA degrees. I actually picked up PZ while working and getting my MBA. I credit much of my sanity to this and other computer games - most of which are early access.

Now the advice:

Life falls into a number of categories, too numerous to list independently, but three very important ones are work, family and entertainment. If either of you want to reach my age, you need to learn that the third is as important as the first two, yet neither should be sacrificed for the others. Your work pays the bills, not just the ones for now, but the ones for the future. it's important, but it isn't the only thing. Family are the people that count on you and those that you can count on. They are also important. Without family, work and entertainment, even life in general will start to feel unimportant. Never forget about family. Now, let's talk about entertainment. Entertainment is the cornerstone to your sanity and your health. We live in an extremely challenging world full of stress. Not properly kept in check, stress can ruin your mental and physical health. Amazingly, entertainment helps to deal with stress, even though it may actually create stress of its own. As much as I know my survivor in PZ is doomed to die, I try to keep him or her alive as long as possible and when he or she stresses, so do I. But it's a good stress and it helps me to forget about the real stresses of living in a Trump world full of idiots who think he and Alex Jones are the only ones with the right answers. You need this. I'm not saying just video games, but whatever it is you enjoy doing to escape, if only briefly, from the stress of living.

The problem is, all three of these tug on a person and their time. Twenty-four hours never seems to be long enough and it feels like something has to give. What you, I, and everyone else needs to do is find a balance. You may not be able to do all the things you would like to do all the time, but that doesn't mean you can't do them. Balance is important. So, play PZ, go to the movies, watch football, whatever it is that lets you relax, you have to do it. Just don't make it your life. You also have family and work.

That same advice goes for your survivor, by the way. While your job might have you working 8, 10, 12 or more hours per day cracking undead skulls, you need time for that comic book or a newspaper now and again, if just to take you away. And devs, if you are reading, we need NPC's, too. Family is important.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:03 PM, IndigoRebel said:

Taco gave a crap enough to voice his opinion, which I agree with his opinion.

And he made plenty of valid points supporting the update. But it was still a poor decision to put so much on hold for the update. Gameplay over graphics was always my opinion and majority of people who visit this forum most likely have that opinion aswell.

We are the cult followers of this game we are part of its life, all our voices matter. And we all care for the game to some extent if we are here having a discussion about it.

And as an artist and writer I can admit I prefer more critical analysis of my work than praise.

IR, you made some very good points. Some that I agree with and support, but I have to take exception with the idea you seem to have that constructive criticism has to be "praise". Quite the contrary.

Let's talk about the argument of gameplay or graphics. Anyone play role-playing games? I'm not talking about the ones you play on a computer. I'm talking about the real ones that require people to actually sit down together and communicate in order to assist some fictional beings to save their fictional world. That kind of thing. Well, with those games, there is a long-running argument between realism and playability. It's the same thing. Some argue that if it doesn't seem real enough, it suspends "belief" and makes it difficult to "imagine" the world properly. Others argue that too much realism slows down playability, thus the game turns into a lot of rolling dice, and looking through rule books, rather than "playing". A balance needs to be found.

Gameplay or graphics is the same argument for video games or at least the game design. They need to work together and progress together or the finished product will suffer. It would be quite possible for the TIS developers to forget anims and just focus on adding all the game elements so that they can have a v1.0 for release. We here are a cult following and we would really love it, but the game would be a dud on the market. Real "enthusiasts" want fancy graphics. That's what really makes a game a success. Those people would not like this game and would also wonder why people like us say such good things about it.

What's worse is that it gets more and more difficult to add graphical "pizazz" if it doesn't come along with the gameplay elements. It could turn out buggy. It is even possible that it could get to a point that bringing in graphics elements would require a complete reworking of the game. We've seen this before with other games trying to incorporate new graphics technology.

My point is, I think you should just enjoy the game that you appear to already enjoy (so I'm not asking you to do something against your will - that would be asking you to be patient, which I admit, you may have already been at one point). If you burn out, you burn out. I'm guessing it wouldn't be the first game you've burnt out on. But have you ever gone out and gotten the sequel of a game you burnt out on and found renewed vigor? Well, guess what? That will happen with the release of anims, or with NPCs, or with whatever comes next.

Stop worrying and enjoy the game we all seem to love.

All things being equal, Project Zomboid chose to be a graphical game -- one that doesn't attempt to try and match the current photo-realism phase, but a graphical game none the less.

This isn't CDDA or another roguelike where it's totally fine to convey actions through a little bit of text or a very basic sprite.  (And games like TOME or CDDA also have the advantage of being turn-based, allowing players to process what, abstractly, is going on). Instead, with a 2.5d isometric game, players expect things like a handgun wavering in your hand to convey the idea that your aim is sloppy. They often don't understand why Project Zomboid's basic animations now do not inform the player of what's happening.

LIkewise, they can't tell what other characters are doing in multiplayer, when they just stand still. Same as it was for when NPCs were in the game.  Or, crafting itself is quite boring to watch when it's just watching your player stand still as you fiddle with menus. And, how do you communicate stealth? Is the current "sneaking" skill really as  intuitive as seeing the character hugging a wall? Or how about the way zombies just magically slow you down when you're near them to simulate "grabbing?"

While there are other ways this could be done (bars! weird mouse replacements!), it'd be better to have it communicated to the player in the best way possible.

On 3/2/2017 at 2:15 PM, zoeyflower said:

I remember having vacation in school when anims first were announced, now its 2017 and i graduated got a job and im almost an adult and theyre still held back by last second bugs and not being perfect and flawless enough for the early access test branch

Actually, you know know what?  I don't blame them.  I'm in an odd position as I'm going back to college to finish a degree I tried starting almost twenty years ago... but one of the irons I have in the fire is that I'm about to publish my first book, science fiction... and as an author I *completely* understand the desire to make sure what you put out is good.  That's something a lot of the software industry doesn't seem to understand, considering the whole "We'll push crap and patch it later" paradigm used by folks like EA.  Customers don't help either when they constantly clamor for a feature that isn't ready, so it isn't much of a surprise that a lot of games are utter crap before the first half dozen patches.

On Monday, March 06, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Storm6436 said:

Actually, you know know what?  I don't blame them.  I'm in an odd position as I'm going back to college to finish a degree I tried starting almost twenty years ago... but one of the irons I have in the fire is that I'm about to publish my first book, science fiction... and as an author I *completely* understand the desire to make sure what you put out is good.  That's something a lot of the software industry doesn't seem to understand, considering the whole "We'll push crap and patch it later" paradigm used by folks like EA.  Customers don't help either when they constantly clamor for a feature that isn't ready, so it isn't much of a surprise that a lot of games are utter crap before the first half dozen patches.

Right?!

I'm just glad that the game has seen consistent development over years and hasn't been dropped. If they said "anims coming" and then radio silence, that'd be trouble. But the steady progress in all areas shows they're committed and they're going to get it right, and even if it seems to be moving slow I've seen no cause for concern.

On 7.3.2017 at 4:46 AM, Storm6436 said:

Its cool that way, it seemed like the devs just wanted to release it completely glitch free without a single tiniest pixel of a visible fault anywhere which would have been frustrating to see in an early access game ( as in, *early* access) 

this whole thread is bad, i feel like we could do without it.

i am the first to be hyped af talking about animations, but i can't see how collectively hyping each other could help bearing the wait.

it will just make people more anxious, and people will start to either argue or answer sarcastically, wich is already happening. 

please just stop, it is frustrating but they will come when they will come, and i say so even though i can't take it anymore myself, it's just that this won't help in any way i can imagine.

38 minutes ago, Livio Persemprio said:

this whole thread is bad, i feel like we could do without it.

i am the first to be hyped af talking about animations, but i can't see how collectively hyping each other could help bearing the wait.

it will just make people more anxious, and people will start to either argue or answer sarcastically, wich is already happening. 

please just stop, it is frustrating but they will come when they will come, and i say so even though i can't take it anymore myself, it's just that this won't help in any way i can imagine.

Yes .... and ... No.

You have something of a point about hyping and generating excitement and then getting frustrated because it isn't out, yet. I'm the same way when I put my egg in the microwave for the second 30 seconds, before it is done.

The difference is, the microwave doesn't care how much I'm anticipating the egg getting done. On the other hand, a steady flow of positive feedback is good for the devs, since it lets them know that: A) we ARE interested in anims coming out soon; and B) we haven't lost interest and gone on to something else.

that's a good point, but i feel a little different about the guy that is actually doing the work on the anims (wich is the same guy that is working on npcs).

the idea i got from a couple of posts (and i can totally be wrong, i don't want to put any word in the mouth of anybody) is that the guy is enthusiastic and gives his best when he himself is hyped about a function that he wants in the game, because he himself loves the idea of being able to use said function when playing, but as far as i could see, he's not really the best when it comes to handling pressure (wich i understand since i suck at that as well), and i think that the indie stones knows already pretty well how much we'd love anims to be out already, i think that anything more than what we already said in the last two years would actually just be adding pressure more than letting them know that we care.

on the other hand, it's our right to be hyped and we are still customers, so you can't really tell somebody that is complaining that they are 100% wrong, and i'm not 100% happy myself, so

all this considered, my opinion is that this kind of thread hurts both the development and the community

of course it is just an opinion and i'm not trying to force anyone into thinking anything, but i wanted to share this thought with you

Edited by Livio Persemprio

On 6/3/2017 at 8:46 PM, Storm6436 said:

That's something a lot of the software industry doesn't seem to understand, considering the whole "We'll push crap and patch it later" paradigm used by folks like EA. 

I get your point, yet again, we are in Early Acess, the animations wont be feature completed (lack of stealth), it will probably going to run a IWBUMS for 1 to 3 months (aka no new feature creep probably for that amount of time) and the IWBUMS will be part of the SP branch, not the MP branch.

Your point would stand only if the animations came bug free, no IWBUMS and with both SP/MP, believe me, the animations are going to be very patch heavy. 

12 minutes ago, Livio Persemprio said:

that's a good point, but i feel a little different about the guy that is actually doing the work on the anims (wich is the same guy that is working on npcs).

the idea i got from a couple of posts (and i can totally be wrong, i don't want to put any word in the mouth of anybody) is that the guy is enthusiastic and gives his best when he himself is hyped about a function that he wants in the game, because he himself loves the idea of being able to said function when playing, but as far as i could see, he's not really the best when it comes to handling pressure (wich i understand since i suck at that as well), and i think that the indie stones knows already pretty well how much we'd love anims to be out already, i think that anything more than what we already said in the last two years would actually just be adding pressure more than letting them know that we care.

on the other hand, it's our right to be hyped and we are still customers, so you can't really tell somebody that is complaining that they are 100% wrong, and i'm not 100% happy myself, so

all this considered, my opinion is that this kind of thread hurts both the development and the community

of course it is just an opinion and i'm not trying to force anyone into thinking anything, but i wanted to share this thought with you

Good point, i dont really see the point of this thread, the hype has been reignited around 8 times or more thought the space of 1 year and 2 months by now, the devs knows that the community wants the animations and they are waiting like hungry wolves to jump at them (either the animations or the devs).

What i am seeing right now is a pattern, we are having a radio silence about the animations but vehicles show up, around the same time the animations showed up for the first time back in 2016, the same time that creative mode went completely silent other than "we are working on it", the whole vehicle features are giving me a deja vu of the animations right now.

Hyping something up can only lead to disappointment by this point, i would say that this thread should be left alone, there is nothing left to discus about the animations that havent been discussed in 2016 and it only opens up fresh wounds, reminds me of the anticipation threads of people taking bets on what month the animations were going to go out.

I just really expect and hope that the animations are going to be out at earliest between July and September and the vehicles between November or December. 

Edited by Blasted_Taco

If the alternative to some getting hyped is having to employ No Man's Sky-like tactics of perpetual silence, I think we'd all  just have to accept it as part of discussing the development of a game.

There's little point trying to change it anymore -- stuff TIS talks about might be weeks, months, or years out. Even they don't know.

I like these points and I respect the opinions that the devs know we are excited and they know the we want anims, etc. etc. etc.

At the same time, I also know that I am a fan like many others and fans enthuse about things they are fans of. That's the whole point of being a fan. It beats going around trolling other posts, doesn't it?

Also, Taco, I'd point out there's a difference between "This has to be abso-freaking-lutely perfect first time" and "This is crap.  We can't push this."  Failing to tell the difference between is mistake.  Would I be happy with the vehicle anims and what little they've shared?  Who knows.  I've done enough software dev work to know when you put out a video, you put the best face forward and try not to show the ugliest of bugs.  Especially if you've been bitten over the feature before.  And they've been bitten about all sorts of stuff being borked.

I mean, I get it, not once in the history of the world has telling someone to calm down ever resulted in them calming down.  Same with "Be patient."  But there does come a point where one has to either ponder if they're being unreasonable or not, and then accept the consequences of their determination.

9 hours ago, Erkinwine said:

I like these points and I respect the opinions that the devs know we are excited and they know the we want anims, etc. etc. etc.

At the same time, I also know that I am a fan like many others and fans enthuse about things they are fans of. That's the whole point of being a fan. It beats going around trolling other posts, doesn't it?

i don't really get what you mean with the second half of the comment, though what i really meant is not that fans shouldn't voice their enthusiasm, what i meant is that i feel like the main point of the thread in the first place was straight up trolling whoever actually cares for anims and putting pressure on the devs. i might be wrong of course, but i really think we should put all this to rest for good and wait for further news (and i can't wait for some)

11 hours ago, Storm6436 said:

Also, Taco, I'd point out there's a difference between "This has to be abso-freaking-lutely perfect first time" and "This is crap.  We can't push this."  Failing to tell the difference between is mistake.  

I know that there is a difference and a big one, but you compared it to publishing a book and "not patching it later"per say, the whole point of early acess is to test things out and patch them out.

Animations became something else entirely where they really dont want to show that feature in a broken state (we already saw the nightmare fuel once) and i respect that, but the way you described it was like there was not going to be a patch afterwards because they been polishing it up, which is a lie because the animations from what i can tell have been rebooted 3 times by now in different systems (of how they work and the type of branches).

4 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Are anims still a thing, though? I didn't see it in the mondoid.

Is kinda weird, last time we heard about them it was the usual "progress on the animations continues" since Feb 20 and then radio silence because they started to show the maps and vehicles.

Anims

We’ve got an anims summit with Martin the Animator scheduled this week to work out some new exporting procedures that the rotation discussed here demands, and are ticking other ‘tidy up’ stuff off our list.

Last time we had radio silence on the animations it lasted 1 month, lets see how much this lasts and someone asked if the animations were frozen and nasKo replied telling them that they are not.

Lets just wait for other news and see what happens.

34 minutes ago, zoeyflower said:

It would be so badass to see like a rifle or a fireaxe strapped to the side of a backpack

There was actually a mod for Skyrim where all favourited weapons would show up on your character, So you could have a greatsword and a bow at the same time, If they took this approach I would lose my mind.

3 minutes ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

There was actually a mod for Skyrim where all favourited weapons would show up on your character, So you could have a greatsword and a bow at the same time, If they took this approach I would lose my mind.

theres a similar mod for gta five too where your last selected 2 rifles would be holstered to the back and your last selected pistol strapped to your thigh, it just looks so badass.

i also remember a roblox game called apocalypse rising had a feature for a while where your special items would show up on your backpack, if you had a map for example it would stick out off a pocket and if you had a gps it was attached to the bottom, its all these little things and details that make everything look and feel so much more awesome

1 minute ago, zoeyflower said:

theres a similar mod for gta five too where your last selected 2 rifles would be holstered to the back and your last selected pistol strapped to your thigh, it just looks so badass.

i also remember a roblox game called apocalypse rising had a feature for a while where your special items would show up on your backpack, if you had a map for example it would stick out off a pocket and if you had a gps it was attached to the bottom, its all these little things and details that make everything look and feel so much more awesome

Now I'm getting hyped for stuff that might not happen, I wonder what the devs think on the subject? 

Just now, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

Now I'm getting hyped for stuff that might not happen, I wonder what the devs think on the subject? 

the apocalypse rising backpack stuff was excruciating work to do since they needed each single backpack to have several different submodels of those special items being carried which is why they eventually dropped it again, it would be a bit easier to do in blender i guess since you can like overlay extra model stuff on basemodels like the clothes on characters but i dont know how the devs work and I totally wouldnt hate them if they didnt include that