The Great Project Zomboid Technical Questions Thread

ShylokVakarian

Back to Study Central

Not all of the surveys that people want to see are actually statistical in nature.  Some of them are actually just technical questions, something that can be much more easily answered by simply taking a look in the code.  This thread is dedicated to those questions, and to other technical questions people may have.  I won't be able to answer them, but I will be cataloging them for future reference.  Please, don't be afraid to ask or answer tehcnical questions here.  It's what this thread is here for.

What are the radii that zombies can see, smell, and hear at their different levels?

Sight:

Maximum distance that zombies can see you is same for all sight levels and varying from 19 to 42 (look at the chart below):

Chart.png

Chance of been spotted is very complicated, but these parameters are important:

• Chance is related to inverse cube of distance. means for double distance chance will be divided by 8.
  • Sneak moving: chance * 0.6
  • Zombie's angle of view has effect: varying from "chance = 0" for behind zombie to "chance * 32" that zombie is looking straight at you.
  • Zombie's Poor sight level: chance * 0.25
  • Zombie's Eagle sight level: chance * 3
  • Inconspicuous trait: chance * 0.5
  • Conspicuous trait: chance * 2

Hearing: Answer Pending

Smell: Smell is actually not implemented yet

Credit to msarabi

How many zombies typically spawn in the beginning of a new world?

Sadly, there's no way of telling without pouring through the code.  If I had to guess?  As of Build 36, about 10,000.

Hey, not sure if this is a right topic to ask this. I recently demolished a whole vanilla house (yes, with a sledgehammer), took us a while but we wanted to make land for our base expansion.

However, now that the whole house is gone, just the floor tiles are left, the light/shadow of the house is still there. The indoors lightning and field of vision os still there. If I look away, I can see a big black patch. Can someone recommend how to remove this? Doesnt the game recognise there is no more house there? Its not game breaking, but it irritates me like crazy.

Any way to solve this?

PZtest-6.jpg

PZtest-7.jpg

1 hour ago, jonaleks said:

Hey, not sure if this is a right topic to ask this. I recently demolished a whole vanilla house (yes, with a sledgehammer), took us a while but we wanted to make land for our base expansion.

However, now that the whole house is gone, just the floor tiles are left, the light/shadow of the house is still there. The indoors lightning and field of vision os still there. If I look away, I can see a big black patch. Can someone recommend how to remove this? Doesnt the game recognise there is no more house there? Its not game breaking, but it irritates me like crazy.

Any way to solve this?

PZtest-6.jpg

PZtest-7.jpg

you can "paste" grass tiles over that spot with this: https://youtu.be/sxOluDKwh9g

More than likely when the house was built it didn't have grass tiles under it originally. The tiles blur out because of a tile property marked "IsIndoor". You can see in my pic that my tiles have that turned off and to the right side it is unchecked.

Interior house tiles with no walls still creates a shade/shadowy effect (even railings will if they are marked un-hoppable)blocking all view of the distance regardless of sprite/texture being a railing.

example2.jpg

17 hours ago, ShylokVakarian said:

What are the radii that zombies can see, smell, and hear at their different levels?

Answer Pending

How many zombies typically spawn in the beginning of a new world?

Answer Pending

Answer for First Question:

Based on the time of the day changes from 19 (Night) to 42 (Day) squares.

23 minutes ago, ShylokVakarian said:

For all three senses at normal levels?

For all levels is the same. but chance of spotting is different. Well i will post and in depth answer on how it works later.

And it is just for Sight, smell and hearing have different mechanic sorry. i thought it is just for been seen.

35 minutes ago, msarabi said:

For all levels is the same. but chance of spotting is different. Well i will post and in depth answer on how it works later.

And it is just for Sight, smell and hearing have different mechanic sorry. i thought it is just for been seen.

Smell is also not in the game currently. The setting to enable/disable it is just a placeholder.

13 hours ago, Capt_Paradox said:

More than likely when the house was built it didn't have grass tiles under it originally. The tiles blur out because of a tile property marked "IsIndoor". You can see in my pic that my tiles have that turned off and to the right side it is unchecked.

Interior house tiles with no walls still creates a shade/shadowy effect (even railings will if they are marked un-hoppable)blocking all view of the distance regardless of sprite/texture being a railing.

example2.jpg

@nolanri @Capt_Paradox Thanks guys, this really makes sense! I think this should be addressed by the devs in the future. Some kind of a check should be added if the walls are demolished... I guess it is not possible to somehow edit those cells on vanilla map for a multiplayer server and change InDoors to off?

@nolanri that tool isn't compatible with Mac but luckily, I understand what's it about and how the game saves chunks of the map. I simply manually deleted the .bin files for coordinates where I demolished the house and the default house spawned back - yay! Thank you, really helpfull stuff as now I can respawn any houses that were burned down. I also tried copying over a portion of some random forest and grass over this house, but the indoor shadow was still there, even though there was now only forest. Of course, I tried copying over files manually, not with the app you mentioned because it doesnt work on Mac. Is this somehow possible to fix? I guess not.

On a side note - since this is something new that I discovered and because for us, there is no really good isolated houses in West Point to make a fort, I tried copying over a farm to the tiles in West Point where there was just forest. It copied over okay, the farm is there, look at the pic. However. the house doesnt have indoor shadows (not a biggie). The big problem is that electricity is not there and we cant flip light switches on/off, they don't seem to work. The fridge and oven however look like they work??

So this leads me to another question - as I suspect that the game has 2 different files for tiles, one that manages what items are placed where and another that defines what is on the ground - like electricity, indoor shadows etc. Is there another file where this information is stored?

As said, when copyign over a forest where the house was, the indoor shadows were still there - the tiles were overwritten with grass but there was still some info in one file I guess that there has to be indoor shadow? . And when copying another house over to an empty forest tile, I could still forage through the ground, electricity was not there, indoor shadows werent there, light switches didnt work. I tried placing a generator next to a TV, fueled it, connected it, but still the house didnt receive electricity. 

Sorry for this, just trying to figure out how to solve this! If anyone can help, cheers

PZtest-8.jpg

19 hours ago, ShylokVakarian said:

Sight: Answer Pending

Maximum distance that zombies can see you is same for all sight levels and varying from 19 to 42(look at the chart bellow):

Chart.png

chance of been spotted is very complicated, but this parameters are important:

• Chance is related to inverse cube of distance. means for double distance chance will be divided by 8.
  • Sneak moving: chance * 0.6
  • zombie's angle of view has effect: varying from "chance = 0" for behind zombie to "chance * 32" that zombie is looking straight at you.
  • Zombie's Poor sight level: chance * 0.25
  • Zombie's Eagle sight level: chance * 3
  • Inconspicuous trait: chance * 0.5
  • Conspicuous trait: chance * 2

Possibly very basic question. But do we know which sandbox parameters correspound to the "initial infection", "first week", "six months later" and "survival" modes ?

And which amounts/rates/etc correspound to each sandbox parameters' "low, normal, high"-kind of denominations ?

2 hours ago, Peripou said:

Possibly very basic question. But do we know which sandbox parameters correspound to the "initial infection", "first week", "six months later" and "survival" modes ?

And which amounts/rates/etc correspound to each sandbox parameters' "low, normal, high"-kind of denominations ?

To see the parameters for each scenario simply change the "Saved Preset" in Sandbox mode (except XP multiplier and Starter kit that difficulty will decide for them)

i will post later that what is the effect of each sandbox option.

Archived