Building Tips

IndigoRebel

I think a thread for players tips on buildings is in order because im sure every mapper has found their methods and perhaps we can share with each other to imporve upon ourselves and for new builders aswell.

My tips

1.Dont just Make buildings with the buildeditor tool

Make your street items buildings, make parking lot buildings. Make decorated alleyways as buildings and even make some forest decor as buildings.

2. Organize your building files before you place them. If you organize your files after you place them then youre going to break your map and have to replace some stuff. And trust me for the bigger projects youre going to want to categorize your files to make things a bit easier.

3. When highlighting a plot of land in tilezed the Bottom left corner of the screen will have the tile dimensions, use this to get the dimensions you need for buildings to fit in certain areas, like street corners and such.

4.Dont forget to copy your floors before you furnish them!!!

5.Make lots of Building Templates to save you time!!!

I hope my fellow builders can share some tips as well because gosh golly I could use some XD

Edited by IndigoRebel

Mappers don't forget about the Tile View under ISO. If you right click on the texture your trying to use you can select which layer it's on to help facilitate unique or strange mapping ideas. Example:Floor Overlay WallOverlay1,2,3,4

Screenshot 2017-02-18 19.38.30.png

To make sure that it works after right clicking and selecting your layer click on the Furniture tab to the left, then click back on tilesets and that usually makes the change happen. Otherwise it'll behave as if you didn't do anything. Took me awhile to figure why it wasn't working on the right layer.

I like the idea of people creating buildings as other things (that's how I made my bunker hill and docks) but be careful how you do it because a lot of tiles are marked as indoor tiles under tileset properties. So visibility issues might occur because of that.

A fix for that would be to open the PNG file under the tiles folder in a paint program and save them as a new texture, load it into TileZed, then make a custom tileset definition file to modify the properties to your desire. (unclick IsIndoor to change visibility/ making railings non-hoppable also reduces visibility to none like a wall so be careful about that as well).

Screenshot 2017-02-18 19.43.58.png

If you are trying to make custom textures in a isometric format and use GIMP as your paint program: I found this which helped make my first texture ever http://registry.gimp.org/node/25040 Works great for floor sprites/tiles.

If I remember any more useful things I'll post it.

Very important

When deleting objects in tile zed

Never ever press delete while youre holding the mouse buttons or you will crash TileZed and lose any recent unsaved changes you made.

SO SAVE YOUR WORK OFTEN!!!!!

I have lost a good 30 minutes of building work because of this error. So Ill say it again save every 5 minutes of work!

Edited by IndigoRebel

• 3 weeks later...

If you use the "Tile" mode to build your building it will be more difficult for others to edit or correct bugs in the construction of your files, it is more advisable to use the "Iso" mode, thus facilitating the work for future generations to help correct Bugs that can be presented in your constructions and ensure that your buildings can be remodeled in different ways and with greater comfort. :-)

ScreenShot_20170307223037.png

On 8.3.2017 at 4:14 AM, Atoxwarrior said:

If you use the "Tile" mode to build your building it will be more difficult for others to edit or correct bugs in the construction of your files, it is more advisable to use the "Iso" mode, thus facilitating the work for future generations to help correct Bugs that can be presented in your constructions and ensure that your buildings can be remodeled in different ways and with greater comfort. :-)

ScreenShot_20170307223037.png

tile mode is kinda important sometimes though so if you gotta use it just say what layer you placed something on