What items would you guys use as currency in multiplayer mode?

blackteapie

Nails and shotgun ammo is always the main currency for me when I role play a trader.

Never had issue finding food. or most supplies.

I made Nails and Shotgun ammo my currency due to how much they are used and that only established groups would need them or have them.

You need shotgun ammo regardless of hydro-craft or vanilla to take down hordes when they hit your safe zones.

And need nails to expand, repair, or move your safe house.

Not to mention Ammo can tend to be difficult to get in the more crowded servers.

Usually had every 50 nails is = 1 shotgun shell.

If I was going to host a MP server, I'd either use Hydrocraft mod's trading post and money system... OR I'd mod in a special FEMA MRE that dropped from zombies. 

This special MRE would include food to restore hunger give all the vitamin/carb/etc requirements, a drink to reduce thirst, and a peice of candy for reduced boredom and unhappiness.

That may be a bit OP for single player but in MP I don't want people punished for not hiding and farming. Come out, kill zombies, make friends and get food lewt.

id like to add here again, it feels weird to me that in a survival game you wouldnt trade food or medicine which is something everyone SHOULD crave but instead its spare ammunition and nails for building stuff.

i made the same experience that i never really had to worry about anything besides stuff to build and shoot people with due to the absurd amount of food and medicine for years that you find in your first 10 minutes of joining a server, even though this game is (supposed to be?) more about the survival side of the pandemic (food, medicine, sleep, sanity) multiplayer is the exact opposite (firepower, nails, saws, wooden logs)

1 hour ago, zoeyflower said:

id like to add here again, it feels weird to me that in a survival game you wouldnt trade food or medicine which is something everyone SHOULD crave but instead its spare ammunition and nails for building stuff.

i made the same experience that i never really had to worry about anything besides stuff to build and shoot people with due to the absurd amount of food and medicine for years that you find in your first 10 minutes of joining a server, even though this game is (supposed to be?) more about the survival side of the pandemic (food, medicine, sleep, sanity) multiplayer is the exact opposite (firepower, nails, saws, wooden logs)

It's quite unfortunate. But when people work together, nothing can go wrong. And when nothing goes wrong, the only way to get entertainment is by shooting people and hoarding nails.  Moreover, there are infinite supplies (theoretically, anyways.)  because unless the loot is respawning, noone (casuals) is going to stick around the server for long. The finality of supplies (in a non respawning loot game) means that servers would need to be reset often to accommodate new players, and that would make building large, cool bases pointless for the more hardcore players that make up the meat and bones of a server- devolving the situation to shooting people and hoarding nails again.

IMHO, multiple players ruin survival games every time for the average peace loving, cabin building Park Ranger.

Who knows. I may just be preserved in salt and pickled in vinegar.

The salt and vinegar line was perfect +1

Yeah my friend and I were excited for MP and I got him to buy the game just for that hyping him up with how much this is about survival and not just mindless killing but in the end our experience was just spawning in and immediately collecting thousands of canned food items and drinks and building material and killing hordes of zombies with kitchen knifes. (they're so much more powerful than fireaxes)

Then we'd usually die to the bigger communities - the occasional gun wielding lunatics who either shoot you indiscriminately or fire a shot right outside of your base attracting the entire townful of zombies over...

We had to quit after that happened way too often and the idea for now is to wait for the anims update and just host a private server for us two since MP just isn't really what this game is supposed to be quite sadly (and filled with thousands of mods that badly detract from the original, pure experience)

This is where the ability to turn off certain loot or loot categories.  Then you can control the scarcity of items and force players in mp to trade or hunt down encampments for supplies.  So give fresh spawns some food to start out and the ability to get respawning weapons, to defend themselves and get the hoarded and dwindling supplies. 

6 hours ago, zoeyflower said:

Is because people hate the hardcore aspect of PZ, that is why i dont play MP at all, with all the "FAST LOOT, STARTER KIT WITH SHOTGUN, AMMO RESPAWN EACH HOUR, NO INFECTION, TONS OF GUNS MODS" types of server you will find with a decent population.

The only time i saw the survival side of the pandemic (and a very very small side, food, medicine and overall scarcity of supplies) was on the early days of MP when there were no respawns of loot and people were forced to rob and kill just for food, instead of PVPing because they had ammo and nails boxes were like gold bars when you found them.

I dont think we will ever reach that point again and the MP side of PZ outside of COOP (4 players) will never be about hardcore survival (food, medicine, sleep, sanity and all of that). That is why i am always more oriented on the SP side of PZ.

Back on topic, i never truly used currency in a MP server, i was always more on trading what i dont need for things i need.

The only time i think i would settle for some sort of currency in MP it would be on rubber ducks and spiffos, because they are goofy as shit to trade stuff with and i can decorate my safehouse with it, thats about it (or cigarettes and smoke myself to death for the amusement)

On 17/2/2017 at 10:27 AM, Zombadger said:

The only thing that has any value at all.

toiletpaper.jpg

This so much, people tend to forget that even the most basic stuff is crucial sometimes.

The only games that i know off that give a quick nod to this is Dead State and State of Decay, and in both games this item either rises up the moral alot or is said to be very valuable. 

2 hours ago, Blasted_Taco said:

Is because people hate the hardcore aspect of PZ, that is why i dont play MP at all, with all the "FAST LOOT, STARTER KIT WITH SHOTGUN, AMMO RESPAWN EACH HOUR, NO INFECTION, TONS OF GUNS MODS" types of server you will find with a decent population.

The only time i saw the survival side of the pandemic (and a very very small side, food, medicine and overall scarcity of supplies) was on the early days of MP when there were no respawns of loot and people were forced to rob and kill just for food, instead of PVPing because they had ammo and nails boxes were like gold bars when you found them.

I dont think we will ever reach that point again and the MP side of PZ outside of COOP (4 players) will never be about hardcore survival (food, medicine, sleep, sanity and all of that). That is why i am always more oriented on the SP side of PZ.

All of this.

My biggest disappointment running the various servers was the lack of patience for a more hardcore experience. In the end, servers have become more of a race to incentivize short-term play and to introduce new players to the game (Spiffospace EasyMode). Otherwise, there won't be enough population to keep the server interesting for long-term players that wanted to have a hardcore experience, with friends and victims.

Redboid was quite brutal, for the first month, until it was evident that only a handful of people would play it. And then the mods came . . . Spiffospace Hardcore was even worse, with no loot spawn or mods, and lasted all of 3 months with only three or players on at any time.

I dislike all the mods that are used on the only populated servers too, I like it when games are more simplistic

(like with the one shotgun called "shotgun" instead of 96 different shotguns with their own calibers ammo types reload types materials crafting recipes etc and such) 

Every popular server feels alien and not like pz partly cause of all the modded content that is out of place

3 hours ago, zoeyflower said:

I dislike all the mods that are used on the only populated servers too, I like it when games are more simplistic

(like with the one shotgun called "shotgun" instead of 96 different shotguns with their own calibers ammo types reload types materials crafting recipes etc and such) 

Every popular server feels alien and not like pz partly cause of all the modded content that is out of place

Pretty sure Good Old Days PvE is a very populated server with no mods. 

Or or you can always start a server.  

Unless youre on a server on day one Joining a looted server sucks.

Ive been on a few russian speaking servers like this and they were just downright boring.

Running everywhere picking up only broken guns and eating roaches got old real quick, If I wanted to do that I could just quit my job and live as a squatter in Detroit, so gotta throw the player a bone if you want them to stick around.

Now I have played a server with a slow loot respawn rate and it was great. There was a legit conflict over the West Point main street. Due to a super faction having a base near there and monopolizing on the loot there.

It led me to create a trader who had to travel to valley station alot to then sell his loot to the mega faction for some nails to build his trade post. Eventually he ended up being a big holder of nails himself and I was probably the single richest player due to all my stuff being just mine and not shared between a 60 playe faction.

I even put out bounties in that server on players who I believed looted my base using left behind keys as my evidence.

Archived