Stash in the Attic

nasKo

kobrakum-712x462.png

Hello! A few things from the big list of what’s cooking:

MAP STASHES

In the next IWBUMS beta release there’ll be a system that we’ve added to our new in-game maps. In essence on the maps you loot from zombie corpses in SP (specifically the ‘survivor’ zombies post-anims, when we have more control over clothing and appearance) they will often come with annotations written on them by that pre-zombie survivor, or perhaps their friends/family who tried to help them.

Sometimes annotations won’t help (zombie hordes that have since moved on etc) but more often than not there’ll be directions to interesting finds that have been left in buildings on the map. A weapon cache, tools, a booby-trapped safehouse, a dangerous building of boarded-up zeds and the like.

Depending on where in the PZ timeline you are, the more apt the different variety of ‘treasure’ that’s marked on the map. This will also be tied into our ‘random house’ system, meaning that we will also have control over how boarded up the places are, zombie numbers inside etc.

All stash description, contents and locations are done in lua, meaning that the community will be able to easily add to the system – and of course how frequent you can find these maps will also be a sandbox option.

The system will also work in MP, but because the system is reliant on highlighting unvisited locations it won’t last for long on big servers. Clearly, however, the annotated maps will be discoverable written by ‘real’ people in this instance though – so it shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Unseen in the above video is an improved ‘handwritten’ font, and also new stamps for the maps system. We also intend to have stashes be a bit more visually appealing without them just appearing in crates or ‘underneath the sink’ – so things look like they’ve actually been hidden by someone in a hurry.

VEHICLES

Okay, so here’s what’s happening with vehicles. Yuri, one of our inestimable friends from General Arcade, is currently making the streets and streaming of Muldraugh and environs a smoother ride for EasyPickins’ fab work on vehicles and physics.

The results have been really exciting, and at a later date the vehicle movement interpolation code can also be extended over into player movement to make life smoother for non-drivers too.

We’re not looking at a release in an imminent build, but we clearly are at a stage when we’re more comfortable with talking out loud about them – and Yuri’s engine-smoothening, performance-improving and zombie/player collision work over the past few weeks has been great to see.

In terms of visuals, meanwhile, Martin (whose name you’ll know for his animating mentions) has been tasked with creating various different vehicle models that’ll be found on the Zomboid map – and the various skins that’ll pretty them up and differentiate them. He’s working on these whenever he’s not working directly with us on the animations (or the other wilderness features the anims will unlock) so here’s an example of his current work on two different varieties of ‘pick up truck’.

PolicePickup.pngPickup.png

COOL MAPS

There’s something of a community mapping frenzy at the moment with lots of cool projects bubbling away on our forum and in the mapper Discord. We just wanted to highlight Cardenaglo’s awesome sequence of islands known as ‘Bungil’ which is a really imaginative ‘Zomboid journey’ we’d love to see in action.

Xeonyx has also recently updated his New Denver map on Steam so that it plays nicely with Rosewood Prison, while it also sounds like he has the Rosebery expansion brewing nicely. Also a quick shout-out to Pat_Bren and his small Irish village of Ballincoolin. We saw your plea for love Pat. Happy Valentines.

This week’s featured image from the, hopefully not rude-named, Kobrakum. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right hereOur Discord is now open for chat and hijinks too. A general overview of the content of PZ builds past, in testing and upcoming can be found here.

1 hour ago, Kuren said:

Really hoping this is a hint towards wildlife :D Animals are my most desired feature by far :)

Yea hoping for bears(big slow predator), wolves(fast medium predator), snake (small sneaky predator), horses(rideable fauna), rabbits(Small easy hunting) and deers (large hunt) at least to give a picture of nature dangers and bounty

I'm really happy for every progress you guys are making, it's every small steps like those that are going to make this game so awesome ! I've been playing since the very first release on Desura, and i'm very willing to wait years more to see this completed.

Your game is a dream for survival gamers, and more than a dream it become more real every update. Keep it going as you ever did.

Excuse my poor love and hope vocabulary, read my words with french accent, it will sounds way more kind.

6 hours ago, ShuiYin said:

Yea hoping for bears(big slow predator), wolves(fast medium predator), snake (small sneaky predator), horses(rideable fauna), rabbits(Small easy hunting) and deers (large hunt) at least to give a picture of nature dangers and bounty

I'm also really hoping they add some farm based animals down the line as well. We already have farms with chicken coops and fenced off areas for them so I feel like it would be fitting if we saw some things like pigs, cows and chickens to go with Kentucky's wildlife :)

And I of course think we're all hoping for dogs too :) lol

57 minutes ago, Kuren said:

I'm also really hoping they add some farm based animals down the line as well. We already have farms with chicken coops and fenced off areas for them so I feel like it would be fitting if we saw some things like pigs, cows and chickens to go with Kentucky's wildlife :)

Harvest moon 2.0 :-D But yea its a good idea.

Im so happy that we have vehicle news !

I hope that they will make quite a lot different models with different stats like fuel consumption, max speed etc.

Its also good time to think about repowering fuel pumps with a generator. Or cars will be cool, 10-15 days asset.

3 hours ago, Kuren said:

That makes me wonder if they will add something to hold a small animal like a rat or bird to draw zeds to it.

Hi Guys!,

really great stuff :D  love the "map stashes" !!!  and can't wait what new cool possibilitys the animations will allow :)

but if I may, my 2 cents in generall:

@Vehicles:

please make sure to include them in "little baby steps" and don't wait till all is "prefect" - like

1. creating (some, maybe not all) models
  2. placing cars on the map (without code to use or loot them) btw, you have to place them by hand if I am right? do you think about adding crash-models too to simulate car-accidents? every Z-movie I know is really caotic and bloody in the streets... (but maybe cars in parking lots for the beginning and going on later)
  3. make the cars "lootable" (maybe including some nasty Z's sitting inside) and
  4. last step MAYBE make them driveable (even if I am afraid it would chance the game too much if you could drive over hords of Zombies, I am more a "fan" of bicycle, Skatebord or minibike for transportation to not hit the balancing)

I know, people want to drive them people demand it and it would really be fun!! BUT driveable vehicles will chance the game 180°, I am REALLY not sure that's a good idea (minibike like in "7 days to die" is an other thing as you are not "armored" as in a car - I really would only go for bicycle and/or minibike to drive)

@animals (NPCs):

would be great but I have some reservations like I have with NPCs - the problem with including anything more intelligent than a Zombie is the nessessary AI for it - animals might work, don't know how compley a AI they would need and how difficult to programm - but NPCs will need a "good AI" especially when they shouldn't act as pure "trees you can communicate with", something I don't see will work - better to not include NPcs as provocing posts about a "broken/stupid AI" with NPs as the game works really really great without NPCs atm !!

@releasing:

you guys got a lot of fire the last month about the "missing features" etc, what I would like about is: the features that are not 100% vital (like NPCs!!!!), include in some "after release FREE-dlc" you anounce long time before   - so you can say "this is the game, these things you want too and we will include them in free dlcs" - just a thinking... I am really sad to read some of the comments you guys get and don't deserve :/

looking forward to the next beta-version :D:D:D 

Edited by King-Salomon

4 hours ago, King-Salomon said:

@releasing:

you guys got a lot of fire the last month about the "missing features" etc, what I would like about is: the features that are not 100% vital (like NPCs!!!!), include in some "after release FREE-dlc" you anounce long time before   - so you can say "this is the game, these things you want too and we will include them in free dlcs" - just a thinking... I am really sad to read some of the comments you guys get and don't deserve :/

looking forward to the next beta-version :D:D:D 

It's not that we're doing the small stuff instead of the missing features. It's just parts of the team providing the game with content while the missing features are finished.

What you're proposing would mean no updates except animations, NPCs, vehicles, when parts of the team were hired with the intention of keeping a somewhat steady flow of content while work on the missing features continues.

I feel like a large portion of the comments stems from the misunderstanding that multiple people must be able to work on the same thing and thus, speed up the process. Or that we have not been working on the missing features away from the public eye.

28 minutes ago, nasKo said:

It's not that we're doing the small stuff instead of the missing features. It's just parts of the team providing the game with content while the missing features are finished.

What you're proposing would mean no updates except animations, NPCs, vehicles, when parts of the team were hired with the intention of keeping a somewhat steady flow of content while work on the missing features continues.

guess/hope you (completly) misunderstud the quote (or my english is not that good after more than 20 years out of school, could get it in german better ;) ) - sorry about this...

I was not talking about how you do work on things, just who it is commuinicated ... a "missing feature" is "negative", a "our good game will be polished, updateded and developted" and in future it get's "NPC-DLC/Update too" is positive - in REALITY it is the same.. but a missing feature is not the same as a "free DLC in the future" in communication

but also, it was just an optinion as I am feeling sad everytime I read a comment about "waaah lacy devs not including the NPCs" and was thinking how to get rid of people thinking it some time ago and was just including it in the posting today

Edited by King-Salomon