zomboid won't open on latest AMD drivers

billxsand

Question

Ever since the last few updates for AMD cards Zomboid won't start, just loads the CMD prompt then disappears.
There are lots of other posts as well.  Would love to play some Project Z.

I'm using 7.1.2 AMD drivers

EDIT: Fixed it the issue by viewing hidden files and deleting the Zomboid folder located in the user folder. I have migrated PC's and i'm assuming this was the problem

Screenshot 2017-02-12 16.11.20.png

5 answers to this question

Maybe I'm incorrect but this looks like a permissions issue with your machine rather than a graphics issue. Could you go to that options.ini file (located where it says in your console there) and right click on it, select properties, and see what it says for the permissions? If read-only is checked, uncheck it.

1 hour ago, Rathlord said:

Maybe I'm incorrect but this looks like a permissions issue with your machine rather than a graphics issue. Could you go to that options.ini file (located where it says in your console there) and right click on it, select properties, and see what it says for the permissions? If read-only is checked, uncheck it.

To elaborate, open Steam, right click PZ -> Properties -> Set launch options -> -cachedir=C:\Zomboid

Sometimes the %UserProfile% directory is flagged by antivirus software.

Mind grabbing the error code from the console?

Go to the installation directory of the game by right clicking on Project Zomboid and selecting Properties in the Steam game library then press the Browse Local Files button shown here: http://i.imgur.com/PFy0kmJ.png

While you have these options open, disable the Steam overlay in the General tab.

Find the ProjectZomboid32.bat file (blue gears for an icon, not a red and black egg) and double click it. Once (if) the game crashes, take a screenshot of the console and upload it to imgur.com, linking it here. This will hopefully tell us what's wrong. =)

Archived