Help with Citadel Servers setup / Server Host Recs?

zzzomboid

So on a whim last night I picked up a zomboid server package from Citadel Servers and got it working OK until I decided to install some mods. The server ran fine after I updated the config, but I wasn't seeing any of the items from the mods so I figured it might need a soft reset. I followed the process here (requires login), and after that the server got stuck in this state:

Error - Try updating your server

I tried doing a Steam update (is that even what this message means?) and doing a full reinstall but it's still stuck in that "Error" state.  Tried opening a ticket a few hours ago, no reply. Tried the live chat but they don't do support, only sales, and won't give me a ballpark estimate of how long it takes for a ticket to get answered. Really frustrated right now, I was excited for this little project but now I'm just stuck. :?

If anyone could answer any of the following questions it would be of some help:

• Has anyone else ever run into this problem using Citadel Servers? Did you manage to fix it yourself and if so how?
  • Can anyone else using Citadel Servers give me a wild guess at how long it takes for a ticket to get answered? A couple days? A week? I'm kind of nervous about this because it means that (in some wild fantasy land) if people actually started using this server it seems like it could go down for a long time and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it.
  • Is Citadel Servers considered a "good"/reputable place to host a Zomboid servers? Are there better/other ones that people use? I basically picked a random one out of the forum post. Was that a bad idea? If I made a bad pick I'd rather cancel now and be out the $X I paid on it and switch to a better provider. OTOH if this is just a blip or my expectations are just too high, maybe I should wait it out? My only other experience with hosting providers have been webhosts, where a good one will typically fix the issue within an hour, so I don't really know what's normal for a gaming host. 

I am a total newbie at this and very lost. Any help appreciated lol. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem with my server as well in Citadel Servers, however I created a ticket to them and they resolved it for me. I had to have the server working by the very next day for my players and I provided them 24 hours to fix the problem. They fixed the problem in less than a hour, I had a reply in the same hour I made the reply. Great service, I was honestly shocked when I got a email back with a Reply. I also had a few problems getting the Cars to work at the time when they were experimental and they fixed that straight away as well. They have not let me down!