Blake81

This is something that has occurred to me now and then on MP; I'm about to log out, but I wanna tell something to my safehouse friends about this house I found full of canned food and spiffo dolls. But how can I tell them if they're not here? Sure, I could grab a pen and a blank notebook and write it, but how will they even know the notebook is there, or even if there's something they should know on it? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ever dealt with such issue.

Then, I noticed all those ''Cork Boards'' you find on almost every office or industrial site on PZ that have no use beyond the cosmetic one and thought ''Why can't we use one of those to leave notes to our fellow survivors?''

You would just write what you need to tell on a notebook, rip out the page and pin it to the cork board with a tack, and then everyone who came later could read it. Maybe we could even tack a region map to it with places if interest marked on them, so everyone can see them.

Most of the in-game items for such a function are already created (The Cork boards, paper, pens and maps are all there. All we would need are the tacks, which would probably be lootable from every office or school), so it'd be just a matter of creating an interface of some sort for it.

I think those would be of great use on an MP setting, and even on an SP, as a sort of to-do list. Not to mention it's kinda realist.

Something like this was always on the table, but it's only just really sunk into me through this post that the new maps system is a really good gateway into it - and it could also feed well into the SP specific Character Spawning idea I'm currently working with too.

As such, if you guys want to spitball ideas here then please do :) It'll all help.

2 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

As such, if you guys want to spitball ideas here then please do :) It'll all help.

Really!?

*Cocks up the Idea Shotgun*

Honestly, I can't think of more SP uses beyond the aforementioned To-Do list, or maybe a place to tack your map onto and plan looting raids, but on MP, the possibilities are almost limitless.

So, the cork boards' interface would need to allow the following:

-Tacking a map to it would make it visible to whomever checked it

-Tacking a note to it

-Writing something else on a note that's already there

-Tick things off a list placed there

-Having various colors of tacks to link a certain note to a place in the map using them.

-Those cork boards that are empty would look empty, while those that have something on would look like they have papers on them (this already happens at random in the game, so it's just a matter of coding that into something else).

I think this should be enough for a start. Maybe more features can be added later.

Here's a list of things that could be done with the cork boards.

1. For Roving Traders

With thew new Trade interface, a whole lot of possibilities have opened for survivors in MP; the idea of a roving trader, that moves from friendly safehouse to friendly safehouse, trading nails for bullets and whiskey for dogfood. So, if I were in such a line of work, I would like to have something like this: There's a red tack onto the Giga MART at the map, and besides it there's this note, also with a red tack on it: ''There's this guy holed up here who will trade you food and drink if you bring him Pistol Rounds or Nails.'', and also, there's this another note someone tacked to the WP Police Station saying ''There's still some ammo left there, maybe I should pick it up.''.

It could provide for an effective way to keep a track of all your contacts, possible buyers, or even places where less-than-friendly players might roam and you might wanna steer clear of it. Plus, if you weren't working alone, it could also be of help to whomever you're partnering with. 

2. For Looters

This one's pretty obvious. You have the map tacked to the cork board, and every time someone spots something interesting or useful they just can't pick up, because they're carrying three Big Hiking Bags of Spiffos, they would put a note on the map, so another looter knows it's there and picks it up. Also, if you're type who likes to leave ''caches'' of useful stuff lying around (either because they don't fit on your base, or because they're a backup in case your base gets overrun), you can always mark them on the map in case someone else needs to make use of them.

Plus, you can also scratch out the places you've already picked clean, or a big red skull where a large horde is roaming. That could save a lot of trouble and a lot of unwanted bites to your fellow looters.

3. For Builders

You and your fellow survivors are working hard, turning the Spiffo Burgers into the ''Ultimate Spiffortress''. But like anyone who's ever work on construction can tell you, unless everyone knows what they are supposed to do, mistakes will be made.

In this case, the cork board would have a list of the materials and tools needed, and the map would point out to the places where you may or may not find them. 

And more importantly, it would contain the stuff that needs building (or demolishing); barricade the kitchen's windows, plaster the new wall by the entrance, disassemble the bathroom stalls for materials. That sort of thing.

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

Could we also pin notes on fridges with magnets?

Ohhh! I hadn't thought of that. Yeah, magnets and fridges could have a similar function.

Edited by Blake81

I think this would be neat in SP too. It could even add somethings to the game like finding the suicide victims does.

"Tell my wife I loved her" scrawled on a piece of paper and pinned to the board with a dark bloody hand print.

Edit:

I had to edit this because I just read the last two comments above mine.

"Tell my wife I loved her" the small neat handwriting read, almost completely overshadowed by a crudely drawn picture of what seemed to be sliced ham.

Edited by Demonic_Kat

Oh, I forgot a few things that also should be doable:

- Being able to write on a Sheet of Paper

- Being able to ''rip'' a page from a blank notebook (which would turn into a Sheet of Paper and reduce the number of pages in the notebook)

Also, I really like this idea of being able to ''draw'' pictures. Maybe in the future we could add some kind of feature that allowed us to ''import'' an image file (of certain size/characteristics) into the game to use it as drawings of our own. Kinda like the custom spray feature of TF2.

Edited by Blake81

It would be nice if you could make a 'Wanted' poster to pinup. 

Add a sketch of a face, name, crime, information and reward etc. 

It wouldn't even have to be a wanted dead or alive style poster. It could be a builder wanted for a construction project with a picture of a hammer.