Gaia Alpha 3 "A New Beginning"

cardenaglo

2 minutes ago, cardenaglo said:

Thanks for the heads up! I'll look through to make sure that they're not in there for the steam release.

And thank you! Progress is probably going to stagnate a little over the next week or two while I create buildings. 

Well i just went through and a fixed about half of my buildings, all i had to do was change internal names that was the only thing that was wrong. deleted some because of missing textures ect. The ones on my thread with dropbox links are the ones that are usable. Gave the hospital a little update and some fresh paint, gotta say would look kinda nice in a small-medium town :).

I'm also going to make a bunch of variations of trailers if you wanted to make your own little trailer park in your map. Anyway take care.

Edited by Queen Glory

Oh but make sure if you put any of the ones in your map, delete them and put in the reupdated versions. Also delete the ones i just straight delete because they either looked like Poop or couldnt be fixed. i'll stop cluttering your thread now. cheers.

Edited by Queen Glory

@Queen Glory

I'll get everything fixed up either tonight or tomorrow

Progress Update:
As you may know the east will have a higher density of zombies  and thats because these are big cities. In big cities you'll usually find some form of subway or train system and thus my cities will also have that. Thus i give you and example of some train that i made with the tiles i have at my disposal. the first two images are of a near complete train turned survivor hold out and the last picture is of what a regular train will look like. You'll likely find them strewn across the whole of the rail system. The systems in the cities will also be on floor 3 so watch your step cause there arent any walls. 

As usual questions suggestions and comments are always welcome. I will likely release a small tutorial on how to quickly (relatively) make a map like my own so that you dont waste too much time on that and rather spend more time on buildings which are also time consuming. Which reminds me, I'm looking for builders to take up small to large projects. Just send me a pm and we can talk about what I'm in need of. 

E76IGyQ.png
Kj24Fp4.png
RijOuDX.png

Train tracks took way too long to make, spent most of today just making the corner pieces because of how randomly spread out the pieces were. On a brighter note, now that i've finished them i can start filling out the tracks for the rest of the map both the elevated city ones and the ground ones for the regular trains.  

I will also be starting almost entirely anew on the towns. While the buildings i got were wonderful and i know the creators made them with care i want the towns to feel like everything belongs. Thus this project just increased its length tremendously. 

I tried to make it pretty modular so that you can make turns easily, do larger lines or smaller ones and be able to place them over roads without disrupting anything 

Edited by cardenaglo
Forgot to add dl link @~@

Anabasis 2.0!

MaWiUU6.png

The new town is starting to come along. This will likely be among the best place to wall off as there will be less zombies in comparison to other towns and plenty of rooms and space for multiple people and even factions to call home. 

As I mentioned before I'm renovating and it is at a bit of a crawl but hopefully I'll have Anabasis done by the end of the weekend. 

On 2/11/2017 at 4:32 AM, Dr_Cox1911 said:

This map looks sick! I hope you do constant backups, we have already lost to many great maps because of this.

I have three in fact cause I don't want to lose days worth of work.

On 2/11/2017 at 6:58 AM, Ciber Ninja said:

Those tracks are really nice

Thank you! Hopefully they come to good use to everybody. 

Bit of an update on whats happening cause i've been a little silent lately. Map progress is coming along and right now i'm creating houses for the map and also for the community to use. They are all unfurnished for the time being and right now i've got most of them under the same template but will fix them up as i start finishing towns. Im also working on an elementary school for the kids and to have another fortifiable location for when the raiders inevitably come. 

I've also got to make some changes to the map so you may actually be getting a Bunjil 2.0 along with this anabasis 2.0. After reading todays mondoid I realized that while my map revolves around vehicles it wouldn't quite support them. Reason for this is because i made my roads to small, they would only be able to fit one vehicle at once thus I have to make them about one or 2 or 4 more tiles thick which can mess up the layout of some of the towns. However there's not just all bad in mondoid for me. In fact a great thing about this mondoid is POI's just got a little more interesting.  I'll be able to create little events that will push players to go exploring. 

Btw, one thing I am looking into with this map is quite possibly making it larger. Sure its a larger endeavor but one that may pay off later on. 

As always comments, questions and suggestions are always welcomed!

5 hours ago, PZ-NOOB said:

This map looks awesome beyond measure, how much is left to do before its completely finished?

Its going to be a long time before its finished as it's just me right now working on the entirety of it with help from the community with some buildings. It likely wont be complete before the creative mode is released. 

4 hours ago, bok said:

This is awesome! Thanks for the great work. When I start a new game and the map gets updated, will I be able to continue my previous game with the updated map?

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. It'd be something I have to test but because im trying to release towns without errors and everything in those cells placed I doubt you'd lose progress as the updates would only change nonexistent cells up until that point.

Road update:
A lot of the minor towns got screwed up when I tried to change the road width. So it looks like today I'll be reworking my roads but I'll have a surprise in store for you all :D

7 hours ago, cardenaglo said:

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. It'd be something I have to test but because im trying to release towns without errors and everything in those cells placed I doubt you'd lose progress as the updates would only change nonexistent cells up until that point.

Great, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the fast reply and all the best for you and your project!

Your map looks pretty damn epic sir!  I can't wait to try it out.

On 2/5/2017 at 1:23 PM, cardenaglo said:

so you better hope you have a radio early on.

Maybe this could be remedied with a simple mod that lets players start with a radio already in their inventory? -- If it works with the story that is.

3 hours ago, CzarUltra said:

Your map looks pretty damn epic sir!  I can't wait to try it out.

Maybe this could be remedied with a simple mod that lets players start with a radio already in their inventory? -- If it works with the story that is.

I actually found a rather nice solution to that problem. There's going to be radios in random houses across the towns so you'll always be able to progress with the story.  What I have to figure out is how to time everything so that people can get as much out of it.

2 hours ago, IndigoRebel said:

Wow this is a very ambitious project.

When you get into your more urban areas hopefully ill have some new buildings made which you can use too.

You're telling me haha

This is only one of like 3 projects I have going on right now lol

Progress Update:

Currently I am still reworking my map and creating minor roads, something I was originally do in worlded. I figured having it done now would be easier. I'm also making my map a little* bigger as I also want to get everything done for the future and not have to ever go back to the actual map, unless someone releases a medieval overhaul. Anyways progress is slow right now as I've started working on the story, I'm working on a tutorial for how i generate my maps, and I also am creating buildings. 

As always suggestions, questions and comments are always welcome. 

01PT0Nb.png
New Update:
Yes I've gone insane and have nearly doubled my work. However, this is actually something I was going to do later and just chose to do sooner to cut a bit of time. The roads have grown significantly as some are now 14 px to 4 px. My zombie spawn map has also changed and now the big cities have a significantly higher proportion of zombies compared to other places and the dirt paths no longer have crazy amounts of zombies. I'll be trying to create a new download link but for now i've removed the old one because its no longer what im envisioning. 

any comments, suggestions and questions are welcome as always

5 hours ago, IndigoRebel said:

make some buildings of your street decorations sometime.

make light posts and mailboxes and piles of trash as buildings which you can paste freely.

i also used your advice and made huge buildings for just road lines.

i have the lampposts. still have to make mailboxes though.  Hopefully my advice will come in handy for all your maps haha

Edited by cardenaglo

Hello Everyone! As you may have noticed big changes are coming for the map and I'd like to show you the progress of Anabasis and talk a little about what i'm up to. 

Anabasis in New gaia.png

Anabasis is, as many know, the beginning of our story. Thus it will be one of the easier places to live in. The center of town was made with the idea that players would band together and fortify it (maybe like 50 wood log walls would be needed) and several factions could then lay claims to separate areas.  In the center you'll find a dorm like area above the bank, a furniture store, hardware store offices, the police station, convenience stores, pizzeria, a school, grocers, self storage, salon and clothing store. By now you've probably noticed the unfinished buildings. The lagest one will either be a hotel or apartments, the ones next to it are a sandwich shop and gas station. then the smaller ones towards the right are going to be small coast homes.  The rest of the area will likely be houses and a place to get train tickets to head out into the world and a cabin or two and a pier to fish in. 

The Ship.jpg

I've also got the boat back in. It'll be a bit of a run to get to the city but you wont be without resources as the ship will have plenty. This would also make a good base if you can fix the front hull breaches. At the bottom left the road there will be leading to a train depot which will also be a good place to fortify due to its high walls but you'll have to clear all the zombies first. 

The world.jpg

Here we have a large portion of the southern part of landmass. I want to populate this area with shells before I release, this way players can have an idea of whats to come. I might also release some of those cell lots for some of you to populate to your liking. Overall though there's a lot to work on and it'll be a long time before I finish it. 

As always comments, questions, and suggestions are welcomed!

Progress updates: 
Yesterday my computer caught a virus and i was certain id get screwed. Thankfully though i managed to fix it and i've got two new locations for you all to see. 

FSOKhTP.png

Up north we have the city of Irin and towards the bottom right we have the new Bridgewater.  As you can see I'm making shells so that i have an idea of what the buildings will be like. Irin will also be the medical area for this portion of the map, thus it has the biggest hospital. it will also have a community college, hotel/motel, highschool and elementary school and many shops and restaurants along with large office buildings. This will be a teaser to the larger and more dangerous cities youll come by. In Bridgewater we'll have a factory and a few stores but it will largely be a residential area.

Basically what I'm planning for the next couple of weeks is create towns with shells, then make the actual buildings with furniture, followed by making and adding POI's and then having a small release.

protip for generating trails through the forest.  

create a layer

fill with gridlines (easy plugins exist for this)

use the distort>bulge effect.

use the outline effect (I think i used a plugin version though, it was a while ago) to widen the paths

use another smaller scale distort to rough up the path edges

merge as black on your veg map.

Progress Update:

So I've created shells for a few more towns which are Melway, Hickston, and Merrill. Heres a bit about what to expect in each of these towns and where the main settlement area will be:

Melway
Melway is an industry type of town and will have access to larger docks and will have more warehouses. Thus for tools this should be amongst the first places you hit. In this town the place to fortify will likely be one of the smaller warehouses or a small boat. 

Hickston
Hickston is th second city in the area that im working on. It will have many tall office buildings, lots of construction and overall a balanced layout of buildings. The residential areas gravitate towards the center and the south portions of town and the business surround them on the east and west. To the north you'll find a large factory and some self storage units. In this city the place to hide is going to be on the roof top of one of the office buildings.

Merrill
Merill is a resort type of town. its where people go to relax and enjoy the great outdoors. you'll find restaurants, a couple of hotels and plenty of hobby shops. Many of the smaller buildings are houses while some are rentable cabins. You'll also find some timeshare houses which will be the identical aside from the furniture. In its outskirts you'll likely find camps with some remaining loot. In this location the main hotel at the entrance to the city will have the settlement located on its top two floors. 

Now i've been going on about settlements for the last couple of days and youre probably wondering what I mean. These are locations that will have lots of different resources for your disposal and provide refuge in an otherwise hostile environment.

Thats it for todays update. As always questions, comments and suggestions are welcomed! 

Progress Update:

Today I've been sluggishly working on the buildings. I forgot how boring this gets but it'll be good once its all done. I am currently aiming for a release next weekend. The goal is all 6 towns that I've made shells for already but I'm not promising anything. 

On a side note that really doesnt matter, I realized that my map is no where near scale. If anything its about 100th the size of what my original map is. Maybe later on I'll make a larger map once this one's finished with more wildlands for you to explore. Maybe we'll even have a proper medieval mod to accompany it.