Effects of Not Sleeping

Strats

Recently in game, nightmares and sleep events were added to the game, but the penalty for not sleeping is still very low. I think that if a player has not slept for a while, they should start to hear phantom noises: zombie moans, footsteps on the floor above, a thump that could be a zombie or could not). This would raise player paranoia and encourage sleeping so that these do not occur.

17 hours ago, Kuren said:

I really like this idea for when your character starts to get really tired :) I'm still hoping they'll decide to add passing out from extreme lack of sleep like the moodle warns too. Like you mentioned, the sleep moodle really doesn't currently have the negative side effects that it should.

Here's hoping the animation update has an animation for your character falling flat on their face and sleeping, sims style.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, weren't sleep deprivation hallucinations already in the game early in dev? Was it removed, or am I thinking of something else?

Hallucinations were indeed in early versions of the game with ghost like zombies behind you that disappeared if you tried to lool at them. In real life you need 2/3 days to experience hallucinations, but anomalous experiences can occur after a single sleepless night e.g. seeing shadows out of the corner of your eyes.

Generally sleep deprivation doesn't lead to fainting or collapsing. Although you may fall asleep very quickly in moments of, say, sitting down and resting. In sleep deprivation studies people have stayed awake for 13/14 days as long as they stay active. There should definitely be harder consequences for sleep deprivation though.