The One Stop TileZed Mapping Shop

RingoD123

14 hours ago, Capt_Paradox said:

Did you make sure to do the Veg Map? Even if it's a solid green color it makes a difference. Also in Gimp you can go to Export As instead of Save As to save it as a .PNG file format.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the reply. I actually figured out what it was, and your reply also confirmed it. I thought it was the paint program, which even though was set correctly, still gave errors after of unknown colors. Anyway, when Mapazoid maps stopped working after resaving in any paint program I looked at each set and file types, then tried something. Copied the Mapazoid map over to the location of my map and it stopped working, so checked to make sure my Windows 10 didn't somehow update to 1703 and give me the ghosting issue, which is when files show in a program but don't really exist. I have 1703 permanently locked out. That was fine, then looked at my map then Mapazoids then it hit me. The other png and bmt files had 4 other counterparts with the exact name except _Veg added to them. I did all the maps correctly, I just named them slightly different. Soon as I named all 5 types to same name and changed the veg ones to underscore, the program started working perfectly.

That all said and done, I noticed in youtube a lot of videos showing Creative mode from January 2016. What exactly is that, and if that exists, why did I just go to all this trouble lol.

Another edit:

I was looking at the video tutorial and something has me a bit worried. It states to do the foliage first because if I try adding it later, its going to erase any buildings and items I put in prior. Does this mean I have to put foliage in on all 64 blocks as it's an 8x8 map or is it ok to work on one block which is 0,0 and once I'm done with it, move on to 0,1 without having issues? I don't want to have to worry that once I'm done with 0,0 that when I go to work on 0,1 and put foliage in, that its going to damage 0,0 as well.

Edited by Lord-Xanthor

I don't use Mapazoid, though I have checked it out. Once you get the base files down things start to make sense, so I'm glad that worked out for you.

Creative mode is currently on the backburner, so no you didn't waste any time. So far using Mapazoid is the simplest way to get started. So your not missing out on anything.

http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Modding#Mapping_Tutorials <---------Some links to useful tutorials. Some are out of date, but provide useful information that does carry across most of the recent updates. As there isn't a all in one tutorial yet that covers every topic.

Base Layout Colors

BaseLayoutColors.png.c6e9fb8b0dd4cbcad3c9630ea2d15556.png

Veg Map Colors

VegColors.png.069fc2f8a0fc5e10a331d0d1e1dcd480.png

^^^^^^^^^ These little color key's make it easy to use a color picker and make your base/veg maps in the future.

There's a lot of ways to map, you can make roads in TIleZed directly or use those base Layout colors to make roads and paths.

I find TileZed gives me more of a visual representation for me to work with than using the color codes. 

As far as foliage goes, if your using Mapazoid that might be true. If you want to add tree's and stuff later on to detail out your map, it is possible using TileZed. Though i do highly suggest you do all your Veg mapping before you start building.

It will be much easier having that out of the way and if there is any land or areas you want to change in TileZed it's totally possible afterwards.

I started my first map using the horrible green to the right of the red line. The rest of the grass/trees/foliage I did in TileZed itself. If I were doing more than a 1 cell map I would (again) highly recommend doing it first using Mapazoid or using the color keys. But it's really up to you.

example.thumb.png.89b5b3b3b004f39acc7688d9e879a889.png

22 hours ago, Capt_Paradox said:

I don't use Mapazoid, though I have checked it out. Once you get the base files down things start to make sense, so I'm glad that worked out for you.

Creative mode is currently on the backburner, so no you didn't waste any time. So far using Mapazoid is the simplest way to get started. So your not missing out on anything.

http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Modding#Mapping_Tutorials <---------Some links to useful tutorials. Some are out of date, but provide useful information that does carry across most of the recent updates. As there isn't a all in one tutorial yet that covers every topic.

Base Layout Colors

BaseLayoutColors.png.c6e9fb8b0dd4cbcad3c9630ea2d15556.png

Veg Map Colors

VegColors.png.069fc2f8a0fc5e10a331d0d1e1dcd480.png

^^^^^^^^^ These little color key's make it easy to use a color picker and make your base/veg maps in the future.

There's a lot of ways to map, you can make roads in TIleZed directly or use those base Layout colors to make roads and paths.

I find TileZed gives me more of a visual representation for me to work with than using the color codes. 

As far as foliage goes, if your using Mapazoid that might be true. If you want to add tree's and stuff later on to detail out your map, it is possible using TileZed. Though i do highly suggest you do all your Veg mapping before you start building.

It will be much easier having that out of the way and if there is any land or areas you want to change in TileZed it's totally possible afterwards.

I started my first map using the horrible green to the right of the red line. The rest of the grass/trees/foliage I did in TileZed itself. If I were doing more than a 1 cell map I would (again) highly recommend doing it first using Mapazoid or using the color keys. But it's really up to you.

example.thumb.png.89b5b3b3b004f39acc7688d9e879a889.png

Thanks for the info. My map is actually 8x8 totaling 64 sections. The tutorial that was messing me up was saying to save the information in the painting program as layers, which made no sense to me because both png and bmt merge everything when you save. Mapzoid showed me the true format though checking the images in some other mods, was able to see I can use both green and red in the veg maps in both bmt and png formats. One issue I am having, is realizing some roads need to be changed as I can't line up buildings properly. Do I need to change them back to png/bmt formats to edit them, in paint, or is there a way to change the roads in the editor?

You can change things in the editor if it's easier.

Top Right Tool Bar, Select the BMP Brush, then this new window pops up, scroll down to the Asphalt(main roads) and you can paint over parts of the map. Make sure to select the correct layer on the Left side of TileZed when you do.

BmpBrush.thumb.png.4085cc2603ea75c3c42e1feea8ac7395.png

You can also click on options and set the size of the brush (which makes doing roads easy) I have mine set for 15 (which does enough to make that 4 lane highway). You can set it to whatever you want and also choose a round shape instead of square for other purposes.

BmpBrush2.thumb.png.f603ce11d6837da3833f968fa34b5b27.png

This might be easier than editing the base layout files for you. Take a stab see what you think. If you haven't gotten too far you can't mess up much yet, right?

Thanks Capt_Paradox,. Will it also move and change the locations so grass and so forth wont grow, like how we set them up in paint? Lets say for instance, I move the road 100 feet. Will the program adjust to where I move the road and stop the grass from growing on the new road locations, and now where the road doesn't exist, allow for plant growth? Or do  I got to go back into paint, and make adjustments there?

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:01 AM, Capt_Paradox said:

You can change things in the editor if it's easier.

Top Right Tool Bar, Select the BMP Brush, then this new window pops up, scroll down to the Asphalt(main roads) and you can paint over parts of the map. Make sure to select the correct layer on the Left side of TileZed when you do.

BmpBrush.thumb.png.4085cc2603ea75c3c42e1feea8ac7395.png

You can also click on options and set the size of the brush (which makes doing roads easy) I have mine set for 15 (which does enough to make that 4 lane highway). You can set it to whatever you want and also choose a round shape instead of square for other purposes.

BmpBrush2.thumb.png.f603ce11d6837da3833f968fa34b5b27.png

This might be easier than editing the base layout files for you. Take a stab see what you think. If you haven't gotten too far you can't mess up much yet, right?

I ended up converting the map back into a bmt and png file. The small touchups were ok, but when I did a test run on areas that had no grass, or have grass now do to road removal, I found grass growing inside several buildings so to make things easier, as I only placed 4 buildings anyway, was to work on the map in paint and touch up all 4 layers, then go back to adding everything else. I'm sure there was a way to fix this in the editor, but being new, I took the easier path so as not to mess up a good map I spent a lot of time on. Not to mention, I was going nuts with the editor, because for some weird reason, it would get picky and not allow me to remove sections of road. Id be editing a road and adding grass, then notice 7 or 8 tiles refused to change with the others, no matter what layer I was on. I even unselected all layers just to make sure I was only working with the floor (0) level. It was almost as if those tiles had some type of protection.

Edited by Lord-Xanthor

just finished the map touchup, and discovered something so weird. Had to go into a backup I made because I discovered the veg map was severely off kilter. It was as if the whole veg map was selected, and at some point shifted right about 16 blocks. Most likely, I had left the map open when I went to bed and one of the cats saw fit to sleep on the keyboard. Anyway, everything is now where its supposed to be. I'll make sure to keep my pc shut down this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated OP to include instructions on how to add roof occlusion room defs and vehicle zones. Both can also be found as seperate guides for any modders who already have a map mod made and just need to add these new features:

Vehicle Zone tutorial: https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23398-how-to-add-vehicle-zones-to-your-map-mod/

Roof Occlusion tutorial: https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23394-how-to-update-buildings-to-use-the-new-roof-occlusion-system/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2017 at 10:06 AM, RingoD123 said:

First, create a new folder on your desktop (or somehwere easily accesible) and give it a name (e.g. MyMapMod), inside create another folder called media, inside there create a 3rd folder called maps and then inside there, create a final folder called MyMapMod (or whatever the name of your map is). Inside this final folder is where you want to put all of the .lotheader, .lotpack and .bin files that were created when you generated the lots for your map, as well as the spawnpoints.lua file and and objects.lua

Once you have created your spawn point(s), save your map then click on File and then Genrate Lots>All Cells.

Here you will be asked for 4 things, the first being the directory your lot files will be saved in, click on the 3 dots and navigate to the folder you created for your map mod when you imported your BMP into WorldEd, then right click and create a new folder called Lots, select this folder.

So do the generate lot files go into :

MyMapMod/media/maps/MyMapMod folder ???   OR

MyMapMod/media/maps/MyMapMod/Lots folder ???

Third is the Tile Definitions folder, again click on the 3 dots and this time navigate to your Project Zomboid Steam Install folder (c:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Project Zomboid), click on the Media folder and then click Select Folder.

This Tutorial says to point to the STEAM directory, and Blackbeards video says to point it to the Tiled directory where we downloaded the 'latest' tileset file...

Having some trouble even getting a simple test map to work.... and I think i've tried every possible combination of each of the conflicting instructions...

10 hours ago, Arsenal26 said:

So do the generate lot files go into :

MyMapMod/media/maps/MyMapMod folder ???   OR

MyMapMod/media/maps/MyMapMod/Lots folder ???

This Tutorial says to point to the STEAM directory, and Blackbeards video says to point it to the Tiled directory where we downloaded the 'latest' tileset file...

Having some trouble even getting a simple test map to work.... and I think i've tried every possible combination of each of the conflicting instructions...

Use the instructions in this tutorial, don't mix instructions from different tutorials. Using the tile definitions from your Steam install of zomboid will guarantee you are using the latest version.

Generated lot files go in: "MyMapMod/media/maps/MyMapMod" for the actual mod to work. The instruction I gave to create a lots folder is so that you are not directly copying over your mods lots when you generate lots. You want to generate them into their own lots folder (outside of your mod folder structure) and then copy them into your "MyMapMod/media/maps/MyMapMod" folder from the lots folder. You don't need to, it's just an extra level of security against accidentally overwriting them.

You can always download and check other map mods by subscribing to them on Steam and navigating to your Steam Workshop folder.

Hi there, was quickly wondering how to make double doors that look right, I know there's only the specific doors that work for it and I got them down, but they have weird gaps at the side from the doorframe, and none of the five available doorframes match up. Any help appreciated!

doubledoors.png

20 hours ago, RyGuy_McFly said:

Hi there, was quickly wondering how to make double doors that look right, I know there's only the specific doors that work for it and I got them down, but they have weird gaps at the side from the doorframe, and none of the five available doorframes match up. Any help appreciated!

doubledoors.png

Use tile mode under fixtures - door frames, Their is double door ones there. Place them as wall 1 layer

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/06/2018 at 1:52 PM, Pat_Bren said:

Just a heads up, adding "burnt" vehicle zones makes my game crash, I think they've been removed/replaced with "junkyard", maybe the devs can clarify.

Yeah, burnt zone has been removed, I'll add the zoning code exposed to lua soon so people will be able to easily fiddle with them :)

• 3 months later...
On 11/06/2018 at 9:23 PM, RobertJohnson said:

Yeah, burnt zone has been removed, I'll add the zoning code exposed to lua soon so people will be able to easily fiddle with them :)

Wondering was this done yet, as I want to make new vehicle zones for custom map but im assuming the current good, bad, police etc are hardcoded and we cant make our own ones yet?

• 1 month later...
On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:02 PM, josko_91 said:

Is it possible to edit the main map? For example, to change one of the mall shops in the upper level into a gunshop?

Because that is what I want to do, not making a new map :)

No not at the moment, this will be something that will be able to be done once the vanilla map is 100% complete and released though.

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:31 PM, Lewshizz said:

Will a new version of a mac tilezed be released? The last I could find was from 2013

Not sure where you were looking, but this thread: https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23816-latest-tilezed-worlded-and-tilesets-may-17-2018/ has the latest downloads.

• 5 months later...

I've got some problems that I haven't been able to solve after reading many forum posts here. As far as I can tell, I'm using the latest versions: TileZed+WorldEd-May-17-2018-64bit.zip and Tiles-Nov-20-2017.zip. Are these the most recent? I do have the programs set to use the Tiles folder, not the 2x folder, I've checked that a few times now.

BwswHyj.png

hEsVm4T.png

1) I see a few things like this here and there, but the tileset is mostly intact otherwise.

2) And according to the documentation, I should be able to drag this roof out and the gap should be filled. But I do get a gap, like so. Any fixes to either? I've already tried downloading and reinstalling, as well as deleting the config folders in case I had broken something there.

3) For zoning, the OP only covers vegetation and parking stalls. What are the intended uses of the other zones? I can see that the vanilla map uses them, but haven't found any info otherwise.

• 2 months later...
On 10/19/2018 at 10:47 PM, RingoD123 said:

No not at the moment, this will be something that will be able to be done once the vanilla map is 100% complete and released though.

So do maps I create get added to the edges of the game map?  Or can we impose them over parts of the official map?  I'd like to add a property to Muldraugh itself.  Including a driveway.  Is this possible?