The One Stop TileZed Mapping Shop

RingoD123

Hey Ringo! Thanks a lot for the tutorial. I'm starting to get back into the swing, and figured I'd start from the beginning.

I've encountered something strange however, and I so far as I'm aware, I've followed every step.

Once I loaded up a cell in TileZed for the first time, everything was the usual red question marks. I then went into Tilesets and selected the folder with the tiles in (the 2x folder was the only one that worked) and while some textures have appeared, many seem broken.

I've re-downloaded the tiles zip folder just in case something was wrong, but from the looks of it, the program is aligning the wrong textures. Any ideas?

Also, I tried linking my TileZed to the tiles directory that I used back in 2015, and the buildings I had placed suddenly worked, but everything else is broken.

Either way, thanks for the guide!

Mono

Bug1.png

It looks as if your map was either using custom tiles or tiles that were never converted in the change to 2x. You could either load each cell, find the layer the red question marks are on and replace them with an alternative or create a new project in worlded and drag your bmp back over, that will give you a fresh floor layer but obviously it wont contain any detail or buildings you had placed on the older project.

3 minutes ago, RingoD123 said:

It looks as if your map was either using custom tiles or tiles that were never converted in the change to 2x. You could either load each cell, find the layer the red question marks are on and replace them with an alternative or create a new project in worlded and drag your bmp back over, that will give you a fresh floor layer but obviously it wont contain any detail or buildings you had placed on the older project.

That's what has gotten me so confused: this is a brand new map. I've started everything from the beginning (besides the buildings that I've moved over). The questions marks appear on all layers.

I've just done as you suggested and opened a new project, converted the BMP to TMX, and immediately upon opening it in TileZed, the same thing has happened.

I'm using this version of the software and the latest tileset on the same page, with a brand new map!  Any ideas?

1 hour ago, MonolithicBacon said:

That's what has gotten me so confused: this is a brand new map. I've started everything from the beginning (besides the buildings that I've moved over). The questions marks appear on all layers.

I've just done as you suggested and opened a new project, converted the BMP to TMX, and immediately upon opening it in TileZed, the same thing has happened.

I'm using this version of the software and the latest tileset on the same page, with a brand new map!  Any ideas?

Ah! are you opening the cell in TileZed by right clicking on it in worldEd? Don't :D , it will open the OLD TileZed you still have installed instead of the newer version you actually launched wordlEd through. Just go to the version of TileZed that's already open and open the cell you want by using the File menu in the top left.

12 minutes ago, RingoD123 said:

Ah! are you opening the cell in TileZed by right clicking on it in worldEd? Don't :D , it will open the OLD TileZed you still have installed instead of the newer version you actually launched wordlEd through. Just go to version of TileZed that's already open and open the cell you want by using the File menu in the top left.

I'm afraid I've tried that too. It seems to be appearing on the new version of TileZed too.

I've also just tried a complete wipe of the TileZed and WorldEd files, redownloaded and re-opened. Created the map from scratch, converted the files to TMX in a new folder and opened one of them in the new version of TileZed.

In the image below, I have tried to change the location of the tile's it is looking for. The open window shows that the tiles exist (as the directory is the correct one), but the window on the right still shows them as red.

Apologies for being a pain, but this is something I never encountered with Phoenix!

Mono

Bug2.png

18 minutes ago, RingoD123 said:

You want to select the "Tiles" folder that sits above the "2x" folder as your tileset folder, it contains the foliage for the ground tiles. You might need to restart TileZed after doing this before you see changes.

You're an officer and a gentleman. It seems that has fixed TileZed from loading the tiles incorrectly. However, there is still an issue with WorldEd, which is opening the same files (I triple checked), but only shows this.

It's a minor thing compared to all the tiles being screwed, but in this view, I can't see accurately where buildings need to go. Any ideas why this is still happening??

Either way, thanks again!

Mono

Bug3.png

12 minutes ago, RingoD123 said:

Not a problem, in WorldEd go to Edit and then Preferences and make sure "Display map thumbnail images in the world view" is ticked, it should help.

It is currently ticked, and unticking takes it back to the BMP image. For some reason, all of the cells in WorldEd are still showing a lack of tiles.

Apologies for the constant problems! I should have made this a single thread (before I realised it was a bigger problem!).

I'm an idiot. In WorldEd alone, I had the tileset location as the TileZed folder. Not the cause of all the problems, but a rookie oversight!

Cheers either way, Ringo! You're a babe. Feel free to move this chat if you feel it overwhelms the article.

Mono

Edited by MonolithicBacon

Something is definitely up with the settings if this is what's happening with a brand new project using the newest tilezed/worled, best thing i can suggest is removing all copies of tilezed from your system, delete the contents of c:\users\yourname\.tilezed and re-install the lastest version of tilezed fresh, leave all settings as they are and follow the first 2 steps of the guide, everything should show up correctly.

• 1 month later...

do you have any plans to add some kinda in program testing at some point where youre just in a cell and click "test" and you launch the cell ingame?

Edited by zoeyflower
think my first message with the avoid all the hard work for tests stuff sounded a lil rude sorry if it did i didnt mean to sound rude just wondering

I have followed the directions perfectly but when I try to use the custom spawnpoint I get an error (from console.txt) "media/maps/The Walking Dead Prison/spawnpoints.lua" doesn't exist, spawn points may be broken. Also when spawning into the game without selecting the spawnpoint my map isn't there, Any help at all would be much appreciated.

13 hours ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

I have followed the directions perfectly but when I try to use the custom spawnpoint I get an error (from console.txt) "media/maps/The Walking Dead Prison/spawnpoints.lua" doesn't exist, spawn points may be broken. Also when spawning into the game without selecting the spawnpoint my map isn't there, Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Did you create a spawnpoints.lua file in the correct folder as per "Step 4 - Exporting" and then save your mod and write spawn points to lua? Sounds like you missed a step somewhere here.

Also, you HAVE to select your map in the world screen for your map to load, if you want to give people the option of spawning at different locations (Muldraugh etc) then you will need to use a spawnregions.lua as mentioned in the last part of "Step 4 - getting it in game".

32 minutes ago, RingoD123 said:

Did you create a spawnpoints.lua file in the correct folder as per "Step 4 - Exporting" and then save your mod and write spawn points to lua? Sounds like you missed a step somewhere here.

Also, you HAVE to select your map in the world screen for your map to load, if you want to give people the option of spawning at different locations (Muldraugh etc) then you will need to use a spawnregions.lua as mentioned in the last part of "Step 4 - getting it in game".

For some reason my spawnpoints.lua was saved as spawnpoint.lua so that whole issue is fixed, But now when I choose to spawn at my map I spawn somewhere random.

42 minutes ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

For some reason my spawnpoints.lua was saved as spawnpoint.lua so that whole issue is fixed, But now when I choose to spawn at my map I spawn somewhere random.

Cool, use the ALL option when placing a spawnpoint so any/all occupations (firefighter, park ranger etc) can spawn there when your mod is selected in the world screen. Also if you have used the world offset to place your mod in the original game world then you will want to place and write your spawn points afterwards otherwise your co-ordinates will not match and you will be spawned seemingly somewhere random.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

thanks for the tuto.

i follow it and have a map that works in worlded.

I put some spawnpoint, make a spawnpoints.lua , create the folders (yourmap..../media/.....etc)

put thumb, poster.png etc

I followw all the step but whe i launch PZ, i can activate the mod but have no selection when i try to launch a game (only muldraugh, etc)

What am i doing wrong ?

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Capt_Paradox said:

Is there a TileZed/Tile Definitions update from the recent build? or is the one on the link for this topic the most current?

Thanks.

+1 to this, there current one is missing certain things as below you can see canscrap, forcelocked and material2 are listed as "unknown"

Can we have the new ones please?

image.thumb.png.4c961bff2d459078e9abffac3071f12e.png

• 3 weeks later...

Question, I'm new to this game. How would I go about editing a map that already exists? Id like to modify the one that I'm already building in game which has a lot of limitations.

Editing this so not to spam.

Just to let you know, I was trying to use the latest version of Gimp, and that painting program unfortunately does not have the option to save in png format, so trying your paint.net.

Edited by Lord-Xanthor
update post

40 minutes ago, Lord-Xanthor said:

I tried several times after drawing the maps to drag them in the worlded but nothing drags like you mention or what I can see in video. Is there something that must be done to  the editors first?

Did you make sure to do the Veg Map? Even if it's a solid green color it makes a difference. Also in Gimp you can go to Export As instead of Save As to save it as a .PNG file format.

Let me know if you have any more questions.