New Mod Direction

Serenity

Hi everyone,

i'm fairly new to the PZ modding scene, but am really enjoying the game so far. I love programming so thought this might make a good new hobby. I've got 2 ideas that I thought might be interesting to flesh out, but I wanted to get some feedback on what's more feasible, and suggestions of existing, similar mods I could look at to get familiar with the API. I'm also interested if anything I say is already completely done as-is; though, I care a lot less if it's made obsolete later on

1. changing zombie (re)spawn to not happen inside the map but instead at the borders, immediately migrating across the map with a somewhat random direction. though this default, immediate behavior would probably be configurable to not conflict with other, better options for relocation
  2. expanded events -- additional events beyond the helicopter and gunfight that can add complication. since this can be so complex, I would probably start with simple events and branch out from there

I think both are similar in that they'd involve manipulating large numbers of Z's, only sometimes in groups, usually off screen over, and potentially over very long periods of time. Is this going to be asking too much of the game at this point? I was also wondering if the existing two events are part of the java code or the lua, and if lua, which file(s)? 

Thanks for any and all help,

Serenity

• 2 weeks later...

Have not seen many mods like that. I thought about doing some type of zombie re-spawning mod, but not sure yet if the default game (in survival or sandbox) will behave how I want (have to look and understand the options better). I like that the zombies respawn rate will reach a peak then die down over time and they decay as well. Infinite respawning zombies is not realistic, but once you clear large portions of the map, you should still see some migrating in. Your best bet is to search through the classes. http://projectzomboid.com/modding/allclasses-noframe.html 

I do like the idea of zombies spawning at edge of map since after you clear the map of the population of zombies, you would expect ones to come from other areas outside the map. But this can be simulated by re-spawning from adjacent cells within the map that you have not been to and seen in a while and migrating from there, so.... but in MP that might be cool

expanded events are cool too. Good luck. 

Edited by ddraigcymraeg