Constantly Growing Wildlife/Herbs Foraging

Biscuitism

After about a year of thinking, and watching progress for farming, I thought I would give my thoughts about plants and wildlife of Muldraugh. I'm sure most of us know that hunting is a common suggestion in the forums, but what about plant life? Thanks to good 'ol Romain we have farming, but what about herbs and medicinal plants? What about the fact that plants tend to take over buildings without management? These are the subjects I'd like to talk about (and maybe suggest) in this thread.

Herbs, plants, and their medicinal uses

I was, at one point, going to make a mod for this to experiment with LUA. Schoolwork and my learning disability got in the way, however. It's common knowledge that ancient civilizations used a technique called herbalism. To those uneducated on ancient history, this was the original medicinal practice. Most of the time it was more or less just religious superstition, but some plants like Aloe, for example, worked pretty well for burns and itchiness. People still use Aloe today, in fact. Many post-apocalyptic stories depict people using herbs and plants as a way to conserve the highly valuable medication we have today.

Have any of you ever used something called Eucalyptus oil to treat sinus congestion? This stuff is from an Australian native tree called Eucalyptus. Of course, you can't get it in Kentucky, but people may have the oil in their houses. I doubt you'll find it in hospitals since it's mostly just home use.

Lavender has a decent amount of options, too. It has no real healing purpose, but it can counter stress and anxiety. It also can be used in soaps and detergents. Though cleaning clothes doesn't seem to be in the PZ spirit; stress relief does.

Plantlife and their ability to take back their rightful throne

I have no idea if it's possible graphically, but plants can and do take over buildings if they're not managed. Since farming is in, I assume it's a first step to adding something like this. Lately, more and more streamers have lived longer than a month. It bothers me that the only thing growing is bodies. There's no real change to the map other than body count, amount of hordes, and dwindling supplies. Personally, I'd love to see some plants growing over gates and such. I will say again, I know this may not be possible. I'm only hoping it will be some day.

So this is where I end my thread. I may come back and edit it here and there if there's any inconsistencies I overlooked. I thank you for reading my thread, and I hope some day we can have more ways to get medicine and more things to see than bodies by the number. 

The thing here is how many people here know (without google...) what plants really help with what symptoms? Aloe vera is a given but the effect is miniscule if you have a chunck bitten/scratched off your hand. I don't think that there would be potent enough medicinal plants worth putting in the game that are in common knowledge by the average Joe, except for marijuana which is more calming and numbing, but I would bet many here don't know how to grow that (again without google).

I somewhat agree with the plants taking over stuff. It would be interesting to see (would add something to the atmosphere of abandonment imo). But on the other hand that kind of growing takes years rather than months which, if you think about it, not many players would live to see that ;) (unless playing the same map over and over again).

With the addition of berries that you can gather, i think there is a plan in motion to add a skill allowing you to identify whether it is poisonous or not. If medicinal plants, herbs and other stuff is added maybe make it so that you have to do a bit of research (i.e reading books) to even be able to properly tell the poisonous plants and herbs from the useful ones. 

• 3 weeks later...

There's very little medicinally speaking in KY. There is, however, kudzu, which grows so fast you can see it moving by the day. Google it, it's crazy.

Sorry for the late response, I forgot I had this thread open. I remember this plant while driving through Interstate 95 in Georgia. I think there's a bit of it here in Florida, too. It's mostly in Arlington or the outskirts of Gainesville. Hey Rath, how much you want to bet that these plants could be the perfect camouflage? There's the problem of overgrowth, but I'm sure this can easily hide key stashes.