How to light ur house?

miked79

5 hours ago, miked79 said:

Built a house from scratch... What are the options to light up the rooms? Just the Flashlight on a stick thing?

What do generators power??

Also... can you only have flat roofs? and not angled like a real house?

\

Thanks guys!

Generators apparently have no function in the base game yet, sadly.

On 24/01/2017 at 4:00 AM, miked79 said:

Built a house from scratch... What are the options to light up the rooms? Just the Flashlight on a stick thing?

What do generators power??

Also... can you only have flat roofs? and not angled like a real house?

\

Thanks guys!

Generators also power fridge/freezers in the same house as you're currently in. They power lights up to 20 squares away from the generator. They're pretty essential (along with gas) for longterm living.

2 hours ago, Crazy ManMan said:

Really? I have never needed a generator to survive yet. What about them is so essential?

I'm guessing for food refrigeration in winter...which is kinda funny since you should be able to get the same effect from winter.  But you can still get by canned food mixed with birds and potatoes in the winter time. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can't seem to make my generator light up buildings. I carried one to the fire station in rosewood. I attached it to the building next to the double door front entrance and started it. The generator runs but I walked in the door and flipped the light switch and nothing happened. I tried the switch in the next room which was well within the twenty squares that the generator powers and no joy. Am I doing something wrong?

Through some experimentation I've found some interesting bugs. As mentioned before the generator doesn't seem to power building lights. I checked the fridge and microwave within the twenty squares and they both worked. I also dragged a television to the powered squares and it worked as well. I again threw the light switch on the wall and again no light. The click sound was present but no light. I found a bedroom lamp and dragged it into the powered area and switched it on... wait for it... and there was light!

It seems the area is indeed powered but the building light switches make the click sound but they don't go on. Only the lamps placed in the powered area work.

Just for the giggles I used my electrical skill and adapted a battery to the lamp and took it to a house without a generator and strangely enough the lamp had the option to turn on but when I switched it on nothing happened. This lamp was the one that I used back at my base to test the generator so I knew it worked. I checked the bulb and the battery and they were both fine. I took it back to my base and set it on the counter in range of the generator. I turned it on and it worked. Weird...

So in closing the generators will power everything accept the building lights and the lamps with batteries attached won't light unless they are in range of a running generator. I am using GOG version 36.4 of PZ. Should I report this as a bug?

• 1 month later...

Dude, it's not a bug, it's reality. House lights are connetcted to the city power line, while lamps, TVs and other stuff can be plugged in directly to the generator.

I wish it was possible, because you need to get a bunch of lamps to light everything up and finding them is quite a challange i gotta say, especially in vanilla areas, and constantly change light bulbs in those lamps, they last as long, as you while being infected.

Im always living in the dark, reason for this is that everything that shines, ticks, smells, makes a sound is a magnet for zeds, but the rare few times i needed light i used flashlights or a tv...

Yes.

A tv

Not the best of ideas but its simple to get,

Downside is that if you forgot to put the volume down you will have some uninvited Z'ees on your doorstep

Archived