Survivor Quest, Dynamic Zombies, Survivor Die Off Mods & Splitscreen Hacks :-)

ddraigcymraeg

Hi,

Wanted to share a couple of relatively small mods that I built mainly for my own enjoyment of PZ, that others may find will add some more fun to their sessions. 

Survivor Quest adds rare and very worthwhile to search for quest items for players to find, to give them even more purpose to explore the map. It also adds optional text dialogs with a back story to the outbreak and to the quest items, that pop up when finding quest items. These dialogs contain hints as well.  There are distribution settings (and guidelines) to make these items harder or easier to find, and for turning the text dialogs off. Multiplayer & single player compatible.

Credit goes to RoboMat, Akimbo Swords,  aSFiRe [RU],  and NCrawler for his OnFillContainer coding approach to create rare items, all who helped me learn how to build this.  Specifically Bassair's The Cure 2.0  http://pz-mods.net/gameplay/TheCure/ I asked bassair permission to use icons from that mod, which appears to be defunct. Any issues and I will remove the files, no problem.

The other mod is Dynamic Zombies, which is basically a mashup of nolan ritchie's Nocturnal Zombies & Restless Zombies. It will make zombies occasionally randomly walk about more (scatter) like his Restless Zombies, but will also make zombies more unpredictable in their speed. So a zombie may go normal speed, or slow down (anywhere from 1xnormal to 0.5xnormal), or speed up (anywhere from 1xnormal to 1.5xnormal) for various amounts of time. On average over enough time,  1/2 the time a zombie will be at normal speed, the other 1/2 going slower or faster, so it makes the game tougher but the slower zombies will balance the faster ones. The scatter and/or dynamic speeds can both be turned on or off in the mod. 

Multiplayer & single player compatible.

Credit goes to Nolan Ritchie for this, who gave me permission to share. I just made tweaks to work and ideas he already had. 

I also ported RoboMat's very cool Player Taunts & Survivor Stories to be used in the latest version of PZ mod, for myself. Mostly for Player Taunts it was simply putting the files into the the new client/server directory structure, but there were a few more changes too I think. Really enjoying using that mod with Let Me Speak! mod atm. Any updates to Survivor Stories beyond 0.1.0? Its a cool a idea, and I would use a newer version if it was released anywhere? 

I don't really have time to add features, or support these, unless there is some obvious bug.  I am open to feedback though.

dynamic zombies.zip

Edited by ddraigcymraeg

Also a big fan of Nolan Ritchie's Survivors mod, so whipped up another small mod that requires his Survivors mod.

This mod will steadily decrease the amount of survivors that will spawn in the world on a daily basis, 
as well as increase the chance of them being hostile over time. To simulate what usually happens 
in zombie lore. Settings can be changed to your liking. See top of \media\lua\client\SurvivorsDO.lua file to see the different settings.

Survivors Die Off.zip

Edited by ddraigcymraeg

And hello again :-) 

In search of the best 2 player splitscreen co-op experience that I wanted in Project Zomboid, 
these are mods that I updated simply to use for the latest Project Zomboid (build 35 and 36 originally developed and tested on), and/or adapted/hacked to be more playable in split-screen co-op for 2 people (more than 2 not guaranteed to work). Please see the readme.txt attached (and in the archive) for details, as well on how to get Nolan Ritchie's Survivors mod to work in a local 2 player game, and caveats with ORMtnMan's Real Gun Mod.

Disclaimer: I made NO changes to these mods except to get them to work in newer builds of Project Zomboid, and/or in Split-Screen 2 player co-op better, and ALL credit goes to original authors. Moreover, some of the changes are really just hacks to get 2 player split-screen to work acceptable for me, and others who play 2 player splitscreen may enjoy.  I offer no support for this, nor do the real authors (some who didnt have splitscreen in mind when developing), and much of it is not fully tested.

I would say that the most work went into an acceptable solution/hack to get Nolan Ritchie's very cool Drive Cars to work in 2 player split screen. Other mods in the archive are either updated for the newest PZ build or for playable 2 player splitscreen: ethanwdp's LetMeSpeak!, RoboMat's Survivor Stories & Player Taunts. What is cool, is when playing with Survivors mod, all the NPCs as well as players use the added taunts/expressions from Player Taunts & LetMeSpeak! as well as their own dialogue . 

(EDIT: updated Drive Cars fix, new archive V1.3 linked to)

archive: http://www.mediafire.com/file/7p5o7hhzxvwvhrc/pz_mods_for_local_coopv1.3.zip

Pheeew, ok enough coding/hacking, now will start playing :D

EDIT: Might as well share the Survivors mod splitscreen tip from the Readme.txt also:

Survivors Mod by Nolan Ritchie:- 
In Survivors.lua, wherever you see Recipe.SetPlayerIndex(...,1); Change the 1 to be 2. This will get split screen to actually work with this mod. Only one of the players (cant remember which one) will be able to party up with NPCs, and also, sometimes, giving orders to NPCs will show it as the other playing talking. NPCs from this mod that joined a party with you *may* not be as reliable as in single player. 
Like NPCs in the party may not get in car with you when driving in split screen, so need to be managed differently. 

Readme.txt

Edited by ddraigcymraeg

I'm really loving these mods. Especially like Survivors Die Off and Dynamic Zombies.

I have a mod idea for you that is similar to aspects of both. The concept is that fresh zombies would be faster than long dead ones by virtue of the fact that their bodies haven't begun to decay significantly. So like Die Off there would be a change over time, but, like Dynamic Zombies, there should be variation between zombies as well. So say it's 6 months later and your fellow survivor just died from the infection, they would be a sprinter while the majority of the zombies in the world will be 6 months old and have rotted and slowed down more.

Throwing this idea at you in case you feel like trying your hand at it. Don't know how easy it would be to do that, and I'm guessing you probably looked into the running zombies for your Dynamic mod, but still...

Again, your mods rock and I won't be playing without them anytime soon.

Edited by AlexHupsch

3 hours ago, AlexHupsch said:

I'm really loving these mods. Especially like Survivors Die Off and Dynamic Zombies.

I have a mod idea for you that is similar to aspects of both. The concept is that fresh zombies would be faster than long dead ones by virtue of the fact that their bodies haven't begun to decay significantly. So like Die Off there would be a change over time, but, like Dynamic Zombies, there should be variation between zombies as well. So say it's 6 months later and your fellow survivor just died from the infection, they would be a sprinter while the majority of the zombies in the world will be 6 months old and have rotted and slowed down more.

Throwing this idea at you in case you feel like trying your hand at it. Don't know how easy it would be to do that, and I'm guessing you probably looked into the running zombies for your Dynamic mod, but still...

Again, your mods rock and I won't be playing without them anytime soon.

This is already in the game actually! The "decay" option in sandbox (enabled by default) causes speed and toughness (and maybe strength?) to decline after a zed spawns.

Additionally when a zed spawns, they come in at a random default base stat level (within a range defined by your advanced zombie settings). What I'd love to see is an option to remove the random spawn stats; I want all of my zeds at max average stats when they spawn and to decline from there.

3 hours ago, trombonaught said:

This is already in the game actually! The "decay" option in sandbox (enabled by default) causes speed and toughness (and maybe strength?) to decline after a zed spawns.

So do sprinters become fast shamblers over time? 

3 hours ago, trombonaught said:

Additionally when a zed spawns, they come in at a random default base stat level (within a range defined by your advanced zombie settings). What I'd love to see is an option to remove the random spawn stats; I want all of my zeds at max average stats when they spawn and to decline from there.

That would be pretty cool. Who doesn't like a real challenge?

Just now, AlexHupsch said:

So do sprinters become fast shamblers over time? 

Hmm I haven't played long with sprinters (usually play MP) so I'm not sure.

However with fast shamblers for example, they seem to spawn as "slow fast shambler," "medium fast shambler," or "fast fast shambler." So fast decays to medium, medium to slow. And slow might decay to a "really slow..." Sometimes in long games I find ones that are outrageously slow :P

I'm not sure if it's actually categorical like that or if it's a spectrum. But within shamblers and fast shamblers, there is definitely evidence of variation within those categories.

Thanks, glad you are enjoying them :-)  

@trombonaught: The decay option, I take it that this is dependent on the actual world time, not the age of the zombie itself? So if a zombie spawns 6 months in, it reflect 6 months decay, unless it is a zombie from a player that recently died? 

Also, without a speed mod, I see that zombies do have variations in their speed etc...

@AlexHupsch: I didnt really look into Sprinters, which Im glad that the devs added, even though I heard that they cause MP problems. Yeah, I may take a look at what makes a zombie a sprinter or not in the code. It might be cool to have zombies sprint at first, then over time slow down. Depends on how difficult it is.  

Been helping a little with Nolan Ritchie to create some preset spawns for his awesome Survivors mod. I would like to have TWD Prison map work and not crash the game (havent seen this problem myself with that map yet), so I am working on a 'fix' mod that would change (or remove if necessary) the doors that has caused problems for players, when they right click on them. Also will update Dynamic Zombies so that crawlers don't sometimes look like they are hand swimming across the ground when they get a speed boost.

Edited by ddraigcymraeg

Updated Dynamic Zombies, so that crawlers are not affected by speed variations. 

Also sharing another mod in WIP section, that adds road tiles to connect all the different maps in 'All In Zomboid Map Pack' mod, as well as has a fix for the TWD Prison doors that causes crashes for people. The door fix needs testing, since I dont know how to recreate it, but I saw in a script bad door data, which my mod script fixes. 

dynamic zombies.zip

Edited by ddraigcymraeg

• 2 weeks later...

Splitscreen pack updated to v1.3

Updated PlayerTaunts to better use the movie derived taunts, since it wasnt using them before, due to newer PZ builds, Also add my own small mod called Player2CanShout! that allows Player 2 to be able to shout like Player 1 can, which can allow more tactics in co-op. Needs to use keyboard though. 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7p5o7hhzxvwvhrc/pz_mods_for_local_coopv1.3.zip

Also, major bug fix to Survivor Quest mod. It wasnt working as advertised in the settings comments in the code. It is now.  Updated on steam workshop.

Edited by ddraigcymraeg

Updated to v1.4 with even better Drive Cars support. Also updated with how to get Survivors! mod to work perfectly in splitscreen, with Player 1 in charge of the NPCs.  So with these mods player 2 in charge of driving (player 1 as optional passenger),  while player 1 is in charge of NPCs :-)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qab1bciclci7ddy/pz_mods_for_local_coopv1.4.zip

Edited by ddraigcymraeg

Also I ended up getting the the Drive Cars mod to allow both players to drive in splitscreen finally (players toggle who can drive with the right alt key). If P1 is driver, and starts, if P2 is nearby they will become a passenger. and vice versa.  They can just walk away if they do not want to be. 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/k75bw4a924fxmfd/pz_mods_for_local_coopv1.6.zip

My computer borked, need a need a new one. Until I can update my workshop items, here is an updated Drive Cars splitscreen mod, this allows base top speed and base acceleration of all vehicles to be changeable at the top of the DriveCars.lua file:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/sip8t6vadphyad2/Drive_Cars_COOP.zip

Edited by ddraigcymraeg