Actual Dark Game...Useful Flashlights/Other Lights

Wulfien

Is there anyway to make it so the character doesn't surround the area around them in light when it's dark? I remember a time when this was a thing, when Flashlights and other light sources had a purpose, now I just run around a night and see just fine, not as clear as day, but there is no need to light a candle or turn on a flashlight...

And yes I've tried turning down my monitor settings but it just doesn't work that well, and yes I've tried turning shaders off, lighting quality down, lighting updates to the lowest...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! 

" yes I've tried turning shaders off, lighting quality down, lighting updates to the lowest... "

All these things will have the opposite effect, making the game brighter.

Nights haven't really been that dark since the introduction of shaders and smooth tile lighting.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, tbh, making it 'too dark', to a point you can't see sh*t in front of ya ain't exactly realistic at all. Your eyes adapt to darkness, furthermore, some nights (full moon and snow) I am able to see miles ahead. Unless you are inside some building with no windows nearby, you can't really have pitch dark nights.

Even so, there should be some way to 'feel' the presence of a nearby zombie. I can't think how can a zombie sneak up on ya, its not like it tries to be sneaky, eh? I can't even hear their footsteps whilst mine are always there, there's no way it would be able to sneak up on me like that. Also, how do they see me in utter darkness when I am not able to see 2cms away (you can smell, yes, but that only gives you a general direction, not a GPS location)? Sounds like unfair advantage. There's a lot to consider here, not just the darkness.

1 hour ago, Rocco36 said:

Well, tbh, making it 'too dark', to a point you can't see sh*t in front of ya ain't exactly realistic at all. Your eyes adapt to darkness, furthermore, some nights (full moon and snow) I am able to see miles ahead. Unless you are inside some building with no windows nearby, you can't really have pitch dark nights.

Well that depends, i've had nights that you could see really far with just the moon (no street lights or anything) but i've had nights where it's pitch black. This is because it depends on the lunar cycle, a full moon would make it brighter, a New moon would make it pitch black, a system like this would be cool to implement. At the beginning of the month, you have a full moon, and by the end, you've cycled to another full moon.

(I know this isn't exactly 100% how the cycle of the moon is because it doesn't align with months but anything else would be a waste of time)

25 minutes ago, Butter Bot said:

The moon cycle thing is already in the game. Some nights are darker than others.

That's cool, so all they need to do is make the dark nights darker and everyone will be happy yay :) 

OK maybe not... i guess they need to do lots of boring coding stuff that takes forever. Like sorting out lots of things with flashlights and candles. Change viewing distance, blackness, darkness, lighting, balancing, animations, do testing, argue about how much fun being in the dark would be, blah blah blah      blah blah     blah   

:(

I don't know about total darkness outside at night, I've never been outside (be it in the mountains, prairies, forest, anywhere away from artificial light- I go camping/hiking semi-regularly) and been unable to see.

That being said, as soon as you get 5 feet into a dark room at night you can lose all visibility ahead, and that's exactly what I find happens in the game. I love the light balance right now!

An option to "Inspect the sky" would be a nice touch.

A few examples of possible outcomes at night:

"Looks like a full moon tonight. The sky is clear and full of stars." - bright night

"It's full moon but clouds cover it completely." - night a little brighter than pitch black

"There are some clouds covering the Moon." - a little darker than with clear sky

"There is no Moon tonight." - pitch black night

"There is about half of the Moon visible." - half of the brightness of full moon

"There is about a quarter of the Moon visible." - 1/4 of the brightness

"There is about half of the Moon visible but there are some clouds covering it." - 1/8 of full brightness

"The clouds are so thick you can't see the Moon or any of the stars." - pitch black even though it could be full moon

etc. etc. etc.

Also, flashlight really needs to have a wider arc of light coming out of it.

Archived