Lagging Killing Modding Mojo

Hydromancerx

Question

So you may know me from the Hydrocraft mod. And while I have been a bit distracted with Rimworld recently, I have been trying to get back in the groove of Zomboid modding. Its been awhile since I have actually stat down and played even though I have updated the mod a few times since the build 35 (and now build 36) update. now coming back my game is unplayable. I lag so bad now no matter how low I put the settings. And yes no matter if I use mods or not.

This is extremely frustrating to me since I cannot even enjoy my own mod now that the lag is so bad. I am not sure what is the deal since the latest public release that is causing it. I did fine with the x2 textures. I am wondering if its maybe the constant highlighting over items? Having a very small viewing window at the lowest setting seems to help a little but its still really bad. Note I have been scared to even try to do multiplayer because of the very bad lag.

How can I go back to the smooth no-lag of the old days before the update? If I cannot even play anymore I probably will not mod as much anymore. :(

My Computer Stats ...

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU 3.50 GHz

RAM: 16 GBs

Motherboard: ASUS

13 answers to this question

Let's make sure Steam didn't leave anything behind in the update or reinstall. Please do this exactly:

1. Go to %UserProfile% and rename Zomboid to Zomboid_old This will backup your save files, mods .etc

2. Go to %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common and rename ProjectZomboid to ProjectZomboid_old or delete the directory.

3. In Steam, right click PZ -> Properties -> Local Files -> Validate ... to download a fresh copy of the game.

4. Once the download completes, launch the game. Leave all settings as default and don't restore you backup yet.

Does this still happen? Over-all we've only had a few reports of lag with the new build (two related to mods, one related to a corrupt install), so I'm not really sure what could be causing it.  That system shouldn't be lagging unless you're fully zoomed out though.

Can you describe when the lag happens / what it looks like? What antivirus do you use?

Ok followed your steps and its downloading now. I assume you meant the "verify integrity". Anywho the game basically "feels" like your running through tar. And when I let go of the keys I keep running for a few seconds. Its almost like how when your character gets drunk in the game you cannot control their movements. I tend to have the character run into the wall a lot. And when fighting zombies the actions OI press in are always a few seconds behind.

Obvious things like don't go to the mall or zoom way out I have avoided. It seems to be constant even when out in a field in the middle of nowhere completely zoomed in. Having it on x1 tiles did seem to help a tiny but I already noticed the slight slowing from the x2 tiles when they were first introduced. And overall it was unnoticeable after awhile.

I hope the complete reinstall works. The only new stuff I can thinking of would be the highlighting of containers or the new bigger trees. But since I am still lagging in areas where there is nothing I think its something else. I hope what it really is, is the left over stuff from the Model Loader. Since I installed that way back when. Maybe something from it was left behind and a fresh install will fix it.

I will let you know how it goes once I have re-downloaded the game again.

41 minutes ago, Hydromancerx said:

Ok followed your steps and its downloading now. I assume you meant the "verify integrity". Anywho the game basically "feels" like your running through tar. And when I let go of the keys I keep running for a few seconds. Its almost like how when your character gets drunk in the game you cannot control their movements. I tend to have the character run into the wall a lot. And when fighting zombies the actions OI press in are always a few seconds behind.

Obvious things like don't go to the mall or zoom way out I have avoided. It seems to be constant even when out in a field in the middle of nowhere completely zoomed in. Having it on x1 tiles did seem to help a tiny but I already noticed the slight slowing from the x2 tiles when they were first introduced. And overall it was unnoticeable after awhile.

I hope the complete reinstall works. The only new stuff I can thinking of would be the highlighting of containers or the new bigger trees. But since I am still lagging in areas where there is nothing I think its something else. I hope what it really is, is the left over stuff from the Model Loader. Since I installed that way back when. Maybe something from it was left behind and a fresh install will fix it.

I will let you know how it goes once I have re-downloaded the game again.

hey man, its weird I have the same issue that shows up after I play for awhile, it like freeze frames every two seconds, for a second, and made the game play like you said, tar lol. but what ive noticed between te two of us is that we both have the SAME graphics card, so maybe (if the fresh install doesn't work which it didn't for me, at least the lag takes a good hour of game play to show up or if I zoom in and out too fast) it has something to do with our graphics cards? 

So downloaded and tried the "out of the box" default. And it greatly improved! I still have a little lag when I stop moving. But i think i can fix that though lowering some settings.

In short before it was unplayable and now it is playable with a small annoyance. So thank you for the suggestion to reinstall.

EDIT: Tried with lower setting and its nearly back to the way it use to be. The main setting that helped was no 3D model or corpses and lower lighting. x1 tiles make it nearly perfect but I cannot if I want to use Hydrocraft with it.

I sure wish there was a way to make the mod graphics work with both x2 and x1 graphics.

For me when I was getting that lag issue I had to start using the 64bit or else I would get the stuttering lag. (Both the computers I use are more than enough to play the game normally most of the time.)

In the end it still happened off and on. I went into the .json and .bat files and changed the memory from 1024 to 1536 or 2048 in the 64bit ones. But than again one pc is at (16gigs of ram) and the other is at 12 gigs of ram.

13 hours ago, Hydromancerx said:

So downloaded and tried the "out of the box" default. And it greatly improved! I still have a little lag when I stop moving. But i think i can fix that though lowering some settings.

In short before it was unplayable and now it is playable with a small annoyance. So thank you for the suggestion to reinstall.

EDIT: Tried with lower setting and its nearly back to the way it use to be. The main setting that helped was no 3D model or corpses and lower lighting. x1 tiles make it nearly perfect but I cannot if I want to use Hydrocraft with it.

I sure wish there was a way to make the mod graphics work with both x2 and x1 graphics.

Make sure it's set to 30 FPS. That's the only reason I can think you'd be having the slow downs if they're specific to the character anims. Vsync off.

18 minutes ago, wsensor said:

For me when I was getting that lag issue I had to start using the 64bit or else I would get the stuttering lag. (Both the computers I use are more than enough to play the game normally most of the time.)

In the end it still happened off and on. I went into the .json and .bat files and changed the memory from 1024 to 1536 or 2048 in the 64bit ones. But than again one pc is at (16gigs of ram) and the other is at 12 gigs of ram.

The great paradox of Java; if you increase the RAM too much, more trash will pile up and it'll take longer to finish.

The 32-bit client should default to 2048. The 32-bit client should be 768.

Odd. My system is simular. i7-4790, 16g ram, gtx 970. I dont lag at all, unless i go to the mall and the huge amount of zeds will lag me once in awhile.

btw, what is your video card?

The first things that come to mind are HDD speed/access, x64 version of pz ( i could see x86 lagging you out), video card/drivers, java setting memory settings.

What type of lag are we talking about here? FPS lag? game speed lag (like zombie lag on multi player servers) ?

Have you tried playing with steam overlay off? Some games i remember from the past would lag out with steam overlay on.

Archived