Depth to deaf trait

Demonic_Kat

Hello again. I was thinking about how much I like to test the negative traits for usefulness and I came across a few things that may be improved in the sight/sound department.

I'll start with the deaf trait. While it may seem like a good trait to pick at the time with a +12 and the loss of sound I think the trait could use a bit more work.

To modify:

-Better vision in either max range or better peripheral vision. Most of the time when we lose one sense we gain better perception in others.

-Inability to receive or send local chat

-Taking this trait also opens:

-Sign Language (free): allows deaf players to communicate with each other

-Lip reading -1: can be taken to receive local chat when players facing others and are within X distance. Players outside this radius show a garbled chat if speaking.

-Speaking -1: can be taken to send local chat

To add:

-Sign language books: Either one long read book (like skill books) or tiers of books that must be read in order

-If possible, for players who use a controller, a rumble when grabbed from behind

-for players without controllers a slight screen shake or light flash

I'd also like to say I enjoy the how hydrocraft uses hearing aids to remedy hard of hearing. It'd be nice for this to be added to the main game.

-Players must wear/keep in inventory just like in hydrocraft

-Players must replace batteries after so many days/hours (must find more hearing aids to remove batteries from)

-Brings "hard of hearing" to normal and "deaf" to hard of hearing.

-Doesn't remove the inability to send/receive local chat debuff if deaf.

Please let me know what you think!

Lip reading should be free for the character, I think. 

One thing that bothers me:

When you take this trait, the ' fright' music doesn't play when, for example, you see a zombie through a window. This makes no sense to me as the purpose of the music is to communicate the character's fear to the player (and possibly stimulate it in the player). Presumably, even hearing characters don't actually hear that music. People don't hear a sharp discordant sound in their head when startled, do they?  ( again, the sound is for the player, not the character).

10 hours ago, grammarsalad said:

Lip reading should be free for the character, I think. 

One thing that bothers me:

When you take this trait, the ' fright' music doesn't play when, for example, you see a zombie through a window. This makes no sense to me as the purpose of the music is to communicate the character's fear to the player (and possibly stimulate it in the player). Presumably, even hearing characters don't actually hear that music. People don't hear a sharp discordant sound in their head when startled, do they?  ( again, the sound is for the player, not the character).

This is true too, you should still be able to hear sounds like that indicating emotion.

I've talked to some people who have experience with those who are deaf and not all deaf people can lip read.

Just like learning to speak, it's a skill that must be learned and perfected. Even those who can read lips often miss a lot in conversations.