Obey gravity, it's the law!

blindcoder

• 3 weeks later...

Nice mod, but I have a question: would it be possible to add any visual effects relating to rubble? Like for example, scattered planks and nails and random stuff (like when you chop down a door and get its parts) to make it look like an actual building collapse with debris strewn about, as opposed to looking like the whole building just disappeared.

If that's not possible, I understand. There's probably only so much you can do with the game's engine at the moment. But it would be a nice touch and would make it look more realistic.  

On 2/13/2017 at 11:31 PM, Brex said:

Nice mod, but I have a question: would it be possible to add any visual effects relating to rubble? Like for example, scattered planks and nails and random stuff (like when you chop down a door and get its parts) to make it look like an actual building collapse with debris strewn about, as opposed to looking like the whole building just disappeared.

If that's not possible, I understand. There's probably only so much you can do with the game's engine at the moment. But it would be a nice touch and would make it look more realistic.  

That is certainly possible. Right now it only happens with playerbuilt walls, though, because prefabs do not have any building materials in their data like playerbuilt stuff does.

I'll think about something, but I need to investigate US building materials first. Over here in Germany, it would mostly be rocks and girders, but from what I hear about US homes, they're mostly made of plywood and hope, so I'll see how I can integrate that latter one :)

3 hours ago, blindcoder said:

Sure! In the universe of PZ, destroying prefabs should yield which materials? Planks? Logs? Nails? Human skulls?

For homes, exteriors are made of a layer of siding (which could be lots of things, from vinyl to aluminum to steel to wood to cement board and more, generally speaking this wouldn't be salvageable), beneath which lies a layer of sheathing (plywood or OSB) beneath which you have studs (planks) and either nails or screws holding them together. On the inside of the studs you typically have plaster in older homes and sheetrock in newer homes.

There are other options out there, but they're generally speaking not common enough to bother with (log homes, metal studs), and although brick homes are fairly common in this area I'm not sure they're actually represented in the game, so no worries there.

So tl;dr same materials as player built walls, really.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the idea of zombies if strong or numerous enough being able to break down walls or even topple houses if you set them to extreme settings, but this is silly and I would only like it as an option. I'm sad that huge hordes of zombies can only break doors and windows. It seems a bit silly too in that way. I'm also disappointed that cars can't crash into signs or buildings and cause any actual damage. Cars crashing into buildings are not so uncommon and get reported on the news less often than they actually happen. I saw a news report once that I mad drove his SUV right into a mans bathroom right through the wall. Why can't we do this in PZ? I think there needs to be at least some small degree of realism in that sense. I also think it's silly that ramming a high speed car through a horde of zombies slows the car down so much, so fast. If you ever watch liveleak (very crazy videos, not reccomended for viewers under 18!) there was a video of some women doing a protest or march or some parade or something? in the street and a car drove them over and all the people in the street vanished into thin air as the car hit them and carried them out of the way of the camera, out of frame. I understand if cars in PZ slow down if they hit a large amount of zombies, but if the car is moving fast enough, it should go very fast through a large horde of zombies but it should become severely difficult to mantain control and the car should take serious damage. I think that would make it more realistic instead of always being slown down no matter what speed.