Obey gravity, it's the law!

blindcoder

This mod lets structures come crashing down when their support structures are removed. All structures must have a wall in a 5x5 area below or get destroyed.

Also prevents players from building floors more than 3 tiles away from any wall.

Be aware that any player (and zombie) that is below a crashing structure will get hurt, maybe even killed...

Mod preview image by Onkeen. Thanks!

I'm still working on the details and effects of this, so if you have any suggestions, feel free to reply!

This is what happens when you remove enough supporting structures:

20170105201838_1.jpg

This is the new maximum distance to build floors:

20170105202157_1.jpg

And this is what happens when you stand below a single floortile crashing down on you:

20170105202248_1.jpg

And finally, download the mod here:

From the workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=836161359

From github: https://github.com/blind-coder/pz-bcGravity/releases

Requires bcUtils: https://github.com/blind-coder/pz-bcUtils/releases

Changelog:

Spoiler

v0.1.0: initial release

Enjoy!

11 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

This is a great idea, but I think it fits that with carpentry/metalwork skill you can expand how far you can build out.

Like, what if I wanted to build my own school classroom or mess hall?

Long wanted the carpentry skill to determine how  high you can build. Breadth would also be great.

11 hours ago, nolanri said:

does this use like a sledgehamemr event? or would it work no matter how the walls get destroyed? like by fire or car collisions?

It did at first, but Build 35 introduced an Event "OnTileDestroyed" which I hook in to now. So it will work with all tile-destructions that fire this event.

10 hours ago, King-Salomon said:

GREAT idea :)

but... what about vanilla structures that don't have pillars in 5x5 ?  I am pretty sure there are some ingame (even if not 100% sure atm)

any reason to be afraid to enter a great hall the first time? 

No, there's no reason to be afraid. Unless you start destroying walls. Existing structures are not affected, the destruction only fires when a wall gets destroyed (and only a wall, not a couch or table for example).

5 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

This is a great idea, but I think it fits that with carpentry/metalwork skill you can expand how far you can build out.

Like, what if I wanted to build my own school classroom or mess hall?

You need to make sure to have support structures in a 3x3 area around the floor tiles. A quick sketch shows that a wall every 5 tiles is enough:

...X.....X.....X...
...X.....X.....X...

If you place walls at the X tiles, then you can place floors above on all the . tiles.

someone try setting a house on fire and see what happens.  Fire changes the walls to "burnt" version of the same wall doesnt really delete walls so I dont think the upper floors would fall down in the case of fire.

what happens if there is containers and items and such on the ground in upper floors? will they fall to the ground?

10 hours ago, blindcoder said:

You need to make sure to have support structures in a 3x3 area around the floor tiles. A quick sketch shows that a wall every 5 tiles is enough:

...X.....X.....X...
...X.....X.....X...

If you place walls at the X tiles, then you can place floors above on all the . tiles.

I still think its a good idea to be able to increase this if you have high carpentry. I know half of my base is going to collapse.

http://map.projectzomboid.com/?#0.20047867220018975,0.23349115819192248,492.2235242952022

So for school gymnasiums and large classrooms, will they fall?

Edited by Kim Jong Un

18 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

I still think its a good idea to be able to increase this if you have high carpentry. I know half of my base is going to collapse.

http://map.projectzomboid.com/?#0.20047867220018975,0.23349115819192248,492.2235242952022

So for school gymnasiums and large classrooms, will they fall?

I've been thinking of allowing larger build breadth by one tile every 3 levels of carpentry, but that would collapse more quickly. I have to think about how to balance that out.

Also, school gyms and large classrooms will collapse if you remove their supporting walls. Unless you add supports in the middle first. See the first screenshot on the OP.

19 hours ago, nolanri said:

what happens if there is containers and items and such on the ground in upper floors? will they fall to the ground?

The containers will get destroyed, giving some building materials back. The contents will be scattered on the ground.

13 hours ago, Paul Redeker said:

Too easy to take down with sledges for MP.  

That's entirely the point. If you want a base, you need to defend it. Also, you can build more supports.

11 hours ago, Crazy ManMan said:

It would also be interesting to see lower level carpentry walls support less than higher level. Also do the wooden beams act as supports as well?

I don't understand the first sentence, but wooden beams act as supports just as walls do.

skyforts are nothing but a vile tumor growing around the surface of the beautiful map devs spent years on making and they need to be annihilated once and for all, 100% agree with this mod, and i completely absolutely disagree with paul redeker on every level i possibly can and will disagree on as always

This might be hard to implement but allowing the addition of a column in 4 corner of a game square might solve this problem (yes this means that all walls have columns in the end of them) , so like walls are easily destroyed but columns needs a lot of damage to take down so then in order to bring down a building they need to sledge not only the walls (whch came down with a few hits) but also the column which needs about 2-5 mins of constant hitting of the column with a sledge. This will make the column become a critical thing in game to protect or to reinforce.

28 minutes ago, blackteapie said:

I have 3 questions for this mod:

1. Would pillars be seen as support for a building?

2. Would the entire building collapse, or just the floors above destroyed wall or pillar?

3. Would this mod affect all buildings in the game, or just the buildings build by players?

1. Yes, pillars are seen as support.

2. Only the parts no longer supported, see the first screenshot.

3. All bulidings, again see the first screenshot.

On 07/01/2017 at 7:05 PM, blindcoder said:

I've been thinking of allowing larger build breadth by one tile every 3 levels of carpentry, but that would collapse more quickly. I have to think about how to balance that out.

Also, school gyms and large classrooms will collapse if you remove their supporting walls. Unless you add supports in the middle first. See the first screenshot on the OP.

Suggestion : As the game has 5 skill lvl (from beginner to master), why don't you go for 1 tile/Carpentry lvl ? And for builds on the map (not those build by players), consider they have been build by a master carpenter ?

Question 1) Did this mod works with Metalworking (as it also allows to build wall, roof, etc.) ?

Question 2) Did this mod works with buildings/structures that mix Carpentry and Metalworking (ex. : Metal wall on the floor, wooden roof above) ?

Question 3) Did the pre-existing walls (those not build by players) are considered support structures ?

Edited by agreubill

36 minutes ago, agreubill said:

Question 1) Did this mod works with Metalworking (as it also allows to build wall, roof, etc.) ?

Question 2) Did this mod works with buildings/structures that mix Carpentry and Metalworking (ex. : Metal wall on the floor, wooden roof above) ?

Question 3) Did the pre-existing walls (those not build by players) are considered support structures ?

1) It should, everything that the game considers a "wall" is considered a support structure

2) it should, see 1)

3) yes.