Need Light to Read

TheWraithPlayer

Grammarsalad's way is probably the best way to go about it, I can see this being annoying on servers with no sleep/long nights and no electricity, but this will also promote people to actually build lighting and fires outside of when they absolutely need them for survival reasons.

This is definitely the kind of thing that would be a bit on the hardcore side of things so this should be a checkbox sandbox option and default in survival mode. Other than that this is a great idea.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

If this is implemented, I would like to see the ability to use flashlights to read, for the inevitable power failure. It would be unfortunate and immersion-breaking to have flashlights and no way to read by them.

I do think it is a good idea though; at the very least it switches up the meta of people looting by day and skilling/crafting indoors at night.

I suggested this some time ago.

I just like The Long Dark approach where if the place is competently dark you cant read.

Candles and flashlights along with batteries are competently useless right now, this would make them very useful, along with the night events where zombies will see light in the house and may be attracted to them. 

Maybe the game could check if you have a flashlight with batteries before reading in the dark and automatically equip it and produce a small light aura, same goes with candles and strike matches/ lighters, you take out the micromanagement and it becomes a thing about resources (batteries, candles).

Also the character could say something along the lines of "Its too dark to read here" so new players understand that they need a light source.

Nice ideas!

On 12/29/2016 at 11:38 AM, grammarsalad said:

Maybe in lower light, reading is slowed as it is harder to make out the words, and so understand sentence in context, etc. 

And, if there is no light, then it's impossible to read.

The effect should be mitigated by cat's eyes

Yes, i love this idea.

19 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Grammarsalad's way is probably the best way to go about it, I can see this being annoying on servers with no sleep/long nights and no electricity, but this will also promote people to actually build lighting and fires outside of when they absolutely need them for survival reasons.

This is definitely the kind of thing that would be a bit on the hardcore side of things so this should be a checkbox sandbox option and default in survival mode. Other than that this is a great idea.

It would make sense to be a sandbox option.

1 hour ago, Blasted_Taco said:

I suggested this some time ago.

I just like The Long Dark approach where if the place is competently dark you cant read.

Candles and flashlights along with batteries are competently useless right now, this would make them very useful, along with the night events where zombies will see light in the house and may be attracted to them. 

Maybe the game could check if you have a flashlight with batteries before reading in the dark and automatically equip it and produce a small light aura, same goes with candles and strike matches/ lighters, you take out the micromanagement and it becomes a thing about resources (batteries, candles).

Also the character could say something along the lines of "Its too dark to read here" so new players understand that they need a light source.

This is a nice idea too.

I had originally suggested this because I was in my house in game and managed to read 3 1/2 books in one night, without any lights on. I realize it's handy, but I also realized it's not that realistic, and I like realism in games like this, which is one of the reasons I chose to buy Project Zomboid with my xmas money from last year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/12/2016 at 2:38 PM, grammarsalad said:

Maybe in lower light, reading is slowed as it is harder to make out the words, and so understand sentence in context, etc. 

And, if there is no light, then it's impossible to read.

The effect should be mitigated by cat's eyes

This, and also eye strain. The harder it gets to make out the words, the less amount of time you should be able to keep reading.

1 hour ago, Crazy ManMan said:

tbh I do not see eyestrain as being a positive things, plus I personally think the only reason people get eyestrain is because they squit too hard as I have personally never had eyestrain.

It is definitely not a positive thing :P But yeah, that's why I mentioned it, trying to read without a proper source of light will cause you to squint, and squinting for sustained periods of time can cause eye strain pretty fast, which can be endured, but will inevitably result in a very nasty headache and temporary eye pain or/and things like blurred or double vision. This would be an advanced-extreme exposure case of course.

But now that I think about it, maybe It's too far into reality. Would be better as a mod probably.

1 hour ago, Crazy ManMan said:

I would agree with darkness lowing quality except that it would make multiplayer much worse because nightime is half of all time and you can not fast forward it unless everybody sleeps at once (good luck with that on larger servers).

Moonlight could be factored in, though you wouldn't be able to read or anything by moonlight you'd probably have a better chance of not completely fucking up whatever you're doing if you're outside.

I also foresee a lot of people exploding microwaves in MP so they can read by the fire

Reading in the dark with different kind of features. This brings up so many here. Reading with : Flash lights, Candles, Fire ( in general ), moonlight etc. Is making the game more challenging and more "survival". One more feature for this according to my opinion that would feat really well in the game is that some of the zombies could detect the light from pretty far away :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...