Haz mat mod
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Games never seem to address the fact that not only do corpses reek, they are a very serious health hazard to be around, especially for an extended period of time. I was thinking it would work similar to the rain exposure but with a few different mechanics. As you are near zombies and bodies your putrification/sepsis exposure would go up causing immediate nausea all the way up to sickness and death. When it is raining it will go up a little slower and down a little quicker (but not much), taking a bath/swim would reduce it a good amount, and a shower significantly as would changing and washing clothing. There would also be various gear that could shield the player from exposure, starting from basic household gear, like rubber boots, painters suits, dust/painter masks, kitchen gloves, duct tape to seal holes, rages soaked in vinegar etc, up to home made gear (examples http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Gas-Mask ) all the way up to various different kinds of actual haz mat gear and riot gear that provide much better protection. Any gear/clothing being worn by zombies would be highly contaminated (as well as anything used to fight zombies), but using large quantities of bleach (like alot, trust me, death smell does not wash off) could make them usable again. Dying from sepsis/toxic shock would not cause zombification, but attacking a player with a contaminated weapon would have a chance to. Blood stained areas would be contaminated as well, but not nearly as much as when  a corpse is around. Over time the contamination from blood would go down as it dries up/washes away in the rain, etc.

Edited by Crazy ManMan

Games don't adress this cause it would be tiring having to micromanage all of that especially with the sadistic ai director sending helis and big hordes over to your place like every week 

Definitely not a bad idea for a mod though

Edited by zoeyflower

this would be that type of cool mod that fits very well with those who create Roleplay videos and/or online roleplaying servers like New Dawn ! :) but for eg: sp normal playing i'd say that's a ton of micromanagement.

taking a would reduce it a good amount,

missing something here ?..

oh and lets not forget another top threat 

6. Garbage will become a Killer. This is a topic that’s not often discussed, but it’s one that will probably become a real problem during any long-term disaster situation. If the gangs and criminals don’t get you, the real danger might actually come from something that you already have in your home – Garbage ! ...

First, the flies will move in; followed by ants, cockroaches, and then rats and other rodents. But the real danger, will be one that’s a little harder to see.Garbage will become a huge public health issue. The growing waste problem will likely spread infectious diseases throughout the community. This one problem has the potential to kill more people than any other part of the crisis...

if the zedz dont get ya ;)
http://offgridsurvival.com/shtfgarbagewaste/ (took me a few minutes to find this page i remembered reading it before.)

Edited by KorruptkSwades
quotes

FIxed, sorry meant to put bathing in there but I dyslexied a little.

Considering most people would already be dead I do not thin garbage would be a massive issues, but it would be intersting to see health issues from rotting foods and goods laying around as well. I have lived at my house for years without any garbage take out so it is possible to easily take care of it as long as you do not have too many people (though I doubt you will get that many people in one area in PZ. I have had 11 people living in this house at once and still no serious garbage issues). Filth in generaly would be really dangerous though, and this game addresses it a little with contaminated water, but it seems even living next to a swamp has no serious health affects.

27 minutes ago, zoeyflower said:

Games don't adress this cause it would be tiring having to micromanage all of that especially with the sadistic ai director sending helis and big hordes over to your place like every week 

Definitely not a bad idea for a mod though

I was thinking it would be challenging earily game but once one got ahold of a quality haz mat suit it would be much less annoying. If it were made all the way to the quality of real life of having to clean the suit, shower every time, etc etc then it would be rather tedious though.

Edited by Crazy ManMan

The tedium of micromanagement is greatly mitigated, probably eliminated, by the fact that you will get sick and likely die from exposure if you don't do it.  

In fact, it might add to the fun of the game.  Who would have thought that simulated cooking in a game would be fun?  Not me.  

But, it is...

Give me an incentive, and maybe body/garbage disposal would be fun, too.  

Ohh, profession idea; 

Garbage man

Resistance to disease

etc.

Edited by grammarsalad

2 minutes ago, grammarsalad said:

The tedium of micromanagement is greatly mitigated, probably eliminated, by the fact that you will get sick and likely die from exposure.  

In fact, it might add to the fun of the game.  Who would have thought that simulated cooking in a game would be fun?  Not me.  

But, it is...

Give me an incentive, and maybe body/garbage disposal would be fun, too.  

Ohh, profession idea; 

Garbage man

Resistance to disease

etc.

I think mainly it would force players to spend my time away from populated areas like towns and spend more time in areas with low exposure, like the woods. I admit balancing the fun of it might be very challenging but I think it could be very interesting if done correctly.

8 hours ago, Kelefane said:

A Gas Mask is something else I've mentioned numerous, yet again it seems to fall on deaf ears.

as far as in game goes it is likely rather low on the priority list simply because they have so much to add, but on mods it is a matter of finding somebody both will and able to make it, which is easier said than done.