Info: Build 34 to 35 ‘not starting’ issue (VCRedist 2015)

Batsphinx

In the update from Build 34 to Build 35 a minority of players will be inconvenienced by the game not being able to start. It’s a ‘blame Microsoft’ situation really, but easily solved!

Build 35 requires an update to VCRedist 2015. Steam should have installed this for you already, but sometimes it fails to do so for unknown reasons.

You can install it yourself by digging into your Project Zomboid files and running the program: %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2015\. Be sure to install both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions if applicable.

If this still fails, try manually installing it from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Be sure to restart your computer after performing these changes before running PZ again.

[Note: VCRedist 2015 does depend on Windows Update KB 2999226 being installed on your system. This update, itself, depends on another update: the April 2015 rollup for Windows 8.1 OR Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 OR Service Pack 2 for Windows Vista. So if you have issues you should also make sure that your Windows updates are up to date.]

For any person who, like me, is having all kinds of problems getting windows update (windows 7, x64) itself to actually update; I used WSUS Offline to install the updates, which finally allowed windows update to run properly. Trying to install the KB 2999226 itself would not install for me, even though the OS reported SP1 was installed. (Though it also reported VCRedist 2015 was installed too.)

I spent more time trying to figure this puzzle out, than I would like to admit - but I finally can run it. I hope this tip helps anyone else struggling with this update. *Note* It is part of the "recommended" updates, not just the important ones.

Edited by makkenhoff

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings

Had the same problem during Build 35 of IWBUMS, there is really nothing to be panicked about. Simply remove Microsoft Windows Redistributables 2015 from your Control Panel and Re-install it from the official Microsoft Website. Remember to perform a Restart on your PC in EVERY step of the way (before uninstalling, after uninstalling and after re-installing), in my case it was only fixed until I did so, and I believe the same happened with some other users as well. 

~Ace