Outragedparker

When playing earlier, I made my way to the cabin in the eastern woods in game thinking because of it's source of water, I could grow crops and survive better despite being much further away from places to loot food.

However I soon discovered after digging up some spots to plant seeds, that there was tall grass and other natural textures blocking my view of some of my dug up area, which became extremely bothersome when trying to right click to plant and tend to my crops. This also is a bit annoying for item picks up, such as collecting logs when chopping wood.

I also noticed that if I build a wooden floor, it too is covered up by the overgrown plant life, this is also bit annoying.

Is there a planned, or can it be possible new feature to make use of a current or new tool to remove the grass? I noticed there is a spade in game, not sure if it's used for anything beyond as a weapon, but perhaps that could be a candidate? Not sure how a lawn mower would work, especially trying to put it in your bag, but maybe a pair of hedge cutters or a sickle.

Maybe another multipurpose tool such as a machete might make a good amount of sense.

Just a small bothersome thing I've been noticing, besides the cut grass could have uses such as for example kindling, rope crafting, precaution against brush fires, etc.

Thoughts?

Might be a good thing to have an option for digging up grass. Could even keep it as an item for use in fertilizing vital crop soils.

This goes back to my suggestion on the old forum about fixing the crops mechanics. We should have to till any soil to remove weeds and rocks with the spade before being able to use the trowel to plant seeds. This one skipped step would fix a lot of farming problems.

I also noticed that if I build a wooden floor, it too is covered up by the overgrown plant life, this is also bit annoying.

Thoughts?

This has been bugging me too. I built a big fancy house, but the weeds were poking through the floorboards. Admittedly it's not a big issue, but we already have some gardening tools, would be cool if we could change some of the plant tiles.

However, in my book this comes second to dragging corpses out of my living room...

Dry it out into hay, which is good for makeshift bedding. Make sleeping in a tent during winter a lot more comfortable. Or use it as something to eat for any farm animals the game might implement. Grass doesn't grow during winter, so having a source of hay would be a good thing to have to keep alive your tiny little goat buddy you adopted because it's adorable and the milk is good for you.

I think mostly using it as cheap fire material would make it worth it. You could effectively set a fuse made of dropped grass, lure a bunch of zombies into specific building / location, and torch them from a safe-ish distance. >) Wouldn't that be fun?

But yes, crafting beds, fertilizer, and potential eventual animal companions are wonderful uses for it. I suppose if they ever implement practical foraging it could also be shoved in as an edible but poisonous food. A lot of us know better, but I'm sure when starving a few people would consider trying to eat grass (cows do it! :D) so it's possible. 

Grass doesn't grow during winter, so having a source of hay would be a good thing to have to keep alive your tiny little goat buddy you adopted because it's adorable and the milk is good for you.

+1 for goat buddy! They would make excellent sidekicks :D

xD Ok badly constructed sentence.

Constructing beds, use as a cheap fire material, and use to feed animal companions.

Or maybe constructing LIKE YOU CONSTRUCT BABY ANIMALS IN MINECRAFT. 

<| :D "Wizardry."

No?

EDIT: The emoticons ruined my smiley. :/ 

I've talked with RJ about cutting gras for composting some time ago.

Back then it was a matter of perfomance, because we thought, that grass should grow. Otherwise the map would probabaly become empty after a long time. Each grass tile would need its own timer.

Maybe it's now possible to implement it with the meta-game.

• 4 weeks later...

I just had an idea for this: scythe

A rare item found in farms, that you can swing, just like an axe (similar movement sprites). It would clear away grass in a 1x1-2x3 square area around you (the way you are facing), similar to chopping trees. It could produce grass items that can be picked up, or just change the tiles to the flat green one.

Unfortunately scythes have largely fallen out of use down south since the invent of the internal combustion engine. I used to live out around the farms there, and at best you might find a rusted out one with a rotten handle in the corner if a barn once in a while.

Unfortunately scythes have largely fallen out of use down south since the invent of the internal combustion engine. I used to live out around the farms there, and at best you might find a rusted out one with a rotten handle in the corner if a barn once in a while.

Ahh, too bad. You can still find them here in Europe (both old and new ones).

It'd probably be easier to get a manual mower -- they now sell them at many Big Box stores here.

I can see Bob mowing the lawn around his safe house, sipping carrot juice, like it's a regular Saturday morning...

"Howdy neighbor! Nice baseball bat you have there. Can I interest you in some fresh cabbages?"

*bandit nervously backs away*

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...