Vegetarian, Vegan, Carnivore trait

Zomboid

WHY WE NEED THIS?

IT IS UNREALISTIC TO HAVE THE SAME BOREDOM AND HAPPINESS FOR EVERYONE DUE TO DIFFERING DIETS!

Exclusive Trait, can only pick 1 of the 3 4, +1 trait points.

• Vegetarian=Can not eat meat.
  • Vegan=Can not eat meat or eat animal products. 
  • Carnivore=Can only eat meat and animal products.
  • Junkivore=Can only junk food.

Maybe you can make an exception and eat outside of your diet but this results in instant and maximum depression.

I'm sure there is a lot of vegetarians who would like to make their character a vegetarian like themselves even for role-play purposes it would be nice for the game to "enforce" this.

Edited by Zomboid

Carnivore isn't really a thing for people. Sure the eskimos and maybe a few other tribes ate primarily meat but nobody has ever really eaten a meat only diet outside of the anthropologist Vilhjalmur Stefansson. So therefore the correct trait would be omnivore. I would also argue that the trait would become tedious/obsolete because I find it hard to believe someone in a survival situation wouldn't give up a personal choice over surviving, so I find it would make more sense as a strictly upto the player sort of thing. Don't want to eat meat? Then don't eat meat! Same as in real life Lol. 
I also don't see anyone living indefinitely without modern conveniences on solely junk food. 

I second the above comment, carnivore/junkivore isn't really a common diet thing while vegetarian/vegan is (and vegetarian would have more of a place in the game's setting).

Also I'm not sure there is place in the game willing to differentiate animal-products from non animal products considering a lot of items are generalized. This game takes place in the 90s. Vegetarians weren't that rare, but veganism was. Vegan just seems so out of place for this game.

The core issue with this is that this is a zombie survival where you are placed in dire situations where you would be going outside of your expected diet to begin with. I love eggs and bacon every other morning, but that doesn't mean I will get depressed for having to change that up to a canned tomatoes and mushroom salad because there's no fresh eggs/bacon anymore. Compromising your diet isn't outlandish, it's something just about everyone would have to do at some point. so "instant and maximum depression" is not only bad from a gameplay stance, but unrealistic as well.

The only way I see this working and not being totally unbalanced against the player IMO:

Trait: Vegetarian

Mood loss for eating meat. Mood loss less severe after each meat-related meal. Trait removed after 30 meals consuming meat.

+2 character creation points

And then no trait for carnivore, junkivore, or vegan, because it's out of place.

If you aren't willing to compromise your diet in the apocalypse, that is a whole other problem with your mentality and a different negative trait all together. Including vegetarian would not be a bad idea, but the rest just seems so unnecessary.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

Sorry Supreme Leader, but I think loosing the trait will be too much of free points, I would suggest that player will get sadness for eating meat or meat products, but in a value compared to the hunger value consumed.

Balanced in a way you could eat meat for living, but you'll be always sad, also new fonts of protein will be needed to work with the nutrition system, if you really wanna go vegetarian.

As vegetables are common during summer this trait will thrive, but in winter, it'll give jarring a new breath of live.

2 hours ago, JonJon said:

Sorry Supreme Leader, but I think loosing the trait will be too much of free points, I would suggest that player will get sadness for eating meat or meat products, but in a value compared to the hunger value consumed.

Balanced in a way you could eat meat for living, but you'll be always sad, also new fonts of protein will be needed to work with the nutrition system, if you really wanna go vegetarian.

As vegetables are common during summer this trait will thrive, but in winter, it'll give jarring a new breath of live.

It's not difficult to re-introduce somebody to meat especially if they have to. Being sad all the time just works against the player.

• 4 months later...

Nice idea, but I agree in that some of those traits are unbalanced.

On 11/28/2016 at 10:06 AM, Kim Jong Un said:

Trait: Vegetarian

Mood loss for eating meat. Mood loss less severe after each meat-related meal. Trait removed after 30 meals consuming meat.

+2 character creation points

Nice idea, but I think we could extend somethings similar too a Vegan trait.

Some people dont have the stomach for redmeat. Its not exactly the most healthiest food. Hell my father has issues digesting redmeat, he has to puke it out.

And the Vegatarians who move to the city. Well They come from somewhere.

Vegatarian is a decent negative tradeoff trait.

Vegan would be a little harder to implement.

And Carnivore, that ones kinda stretching it.

Edited by IndigoRebel

But who at the end of the world will be choosing food? Like if the person is vegetarian and only ha

s a chicken to eat it eats. Idea is good only if it involves misery when eating there I agree but not being able to eat is very out of context

By google Translator