TileZed Building Overlap issue

The Googlator

Hey all,

I'm using the map tools to create a map based in the UK. 
The way the houses are set up leaves overlaps on the buildings, e.g sharing walls or fences.

My issue is with the overlapping tiles of multiple buildings.

When you place a building next to another, you have to place them on the map in the correct order so the overlap works correctly, otherwise you get a row of blank, black tiles. 

Now, I have no issue in placing the buildings in the correct order, but when I reload the cell in tilezed, it seems that the overlaps I have fixed, seem to have the same issue, so it appears tilezed isn't remembering the order buildings were placed in when a cell is loaded...

As you can imagine it will cause a huge issue when upto 150 buildings are on a single cell... 

Is there something I can do to avoid this? I have tried experimenting with using different object layers, and placing the buildings on the correct layer, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with which tile gets overwritten. 

[Screenshot attached]

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated... any had this issue or found a way around it? 

Overlap.png

And this is what it should [almost] look like :

Overlap2.png

The two bottom buildings should actually be one tile forward, but the overlap is the problems, it's not because the building is in the wrong place. This leaves me thinking I will have to create all the buildings in the cell, then when completed, delete all the buildings, place them all (upto maybe 150) in the correct order the export.... I havn't tested how the map turns out in game, but from my experience so far, when I have tested my previous builds, I fixed several of these issues, and I remember them being fine in game. 

-Hoping there is a solution to this.... 

-TG

Edited by The Googlator

I've done nowhere near as much as this, but at least where the corners and sides of the buildings are, I like to go a tile out from their edge in BuildingEd. So you're incorporating part of the lawn of another building, and you decide what the overlap is. This could make no sense and I might very well be developmentally challenged

Your kind of there Jim, I do make sure there is the extra tile at the edge of building ed (in tile mode) and I ensure I'm overwriting the correct tiles.. the issue is when loaded again in tilezed, the order the buildings were placed in is muddled up. In order for houses to share a wall, they have to be directed next to each other like in the screenshot... but again, when loaded, some of the buildings now sit 'on top' of others, causing this overlap issue... 

-TG

See what I do is make incorporate shared walls into one great building, which of course isn't always possible in the busy burbs of the UK... I'm not saying do a block at a time, but perhaps split em up with an alley here and there?

EDIT: another workaround that came to me, is to give a greater priority to what you want shown. Walls2 etc... we need a pro in here tho, im still looking for the start button on my comp XD

Edited by critical jim

Yes, I have been asking questions about this, but turns out Keys unlock the building they spawn for, so if I have 2 or more houses in a row (built as the same building), any key for one of the houses, will also unlock the others... which ofc isn't a great feature, so I decided to build them individually. I do have some alleys here and there, but it's based on the true location, and I kinda need the style of the buildings to remain the same. 

I think I will have to complete the cells buildings, then delete them all off the cell, then place them again making sure the overlaps are correct, then export... but this is one HUGE ballache if I think about it... :(

-TG

So I've just loaded up again, out of the possible 17 overlap points so far, 5 of those points are now incorrectly overlapped. 
That doesn't mean I have to delete those 5 buildings and replace them, I need to replace all overlaps that connect to the building, effectively replacing all the buildings above or below that particular building... and this is just 1 small street.... if I have streets where buildings overlap for 20/30 in a row, I'd have to replace ALL of those buildings, given an overlap issue :'( 

-TG

Well, let me know how you get on with that, there will be several buildings on my map that will bring me challenges too. Once my first cell is complete, I'll be starting a thread for it, I'll also start a thread on some useful hints and tips I've found while using the tools ... as to help anyone else encountering the same issue as me.

-TG

I have also tried the priority thing, using walls2 over walls... but the WHOLE tile is replaced, due to the building which 'overlaps' the other. 

So... for example:

Building A & Building B share a wall.

Depending of the positions of the buildings this will change, but lets presume:

A B

-----

Where ---- is the road the houses are on. 

In order to get this to work correctly, I would first create building A, then when creating building B, i'd use both BuildingEd and TileZed to make sure the alignment is correct, build Building B and use the overlap on this building to overwrite the tiles on Building A. This works because Building B was placed over building A, and given the way isometric works, the overlap (from my experience) is always written > Left to Right : Top to Bottom. 

So generally, the Top Left building would be placed first, then then one to the right of that... 
Then below that place the next row or whatever.... 

in the screenshot depicted is this:

_______

A B C  |

D  |

E  |

In this particular case, the buildings are placed in alphabetical order... 

Meaning, B overlaps A, C overlaps B, D overlaps A,B&C and E overlaps D.

This way, the 5 buildings work perfectly, but when reloaded that ABCDE order isn't the same, and cases are popping up all over the place where the overlaps have appears -_- .... I'm sure you see my frustration here... And I only have 20/30 buildings so far. 

-TG

Edited by The Googlator

Haha, tell me about it... I just don't know how to control this... if I can... I was hoping placing the buildings in the correct order would solve this! But it doesn't! lol... I literally think I'm gunna have to complete the cell, then delete the buildings off the cell, and place them all in 1 session, exporting the final piece, but... given if I need to fix a bug... i'd then have to replace all of those buildings AGAIN... to export the bug fix... I'm crying... PLEASE be a solution to this! 

-TG

The issue with the black/empty tiles is that the overlapping _.tbx-files, overwrite each other.

If I look at your example, in the OP, it looks like the wooden fence is on both _.tbx-files.

Did you try and remove the wooden fence on the _.tbx-file with the tent-kit inside the garden, so they overlap but don't overwrite?

Yes, I have tried this, but the problem actually lies in the TILES overwriting each other.... Even if they are blank in the Buildings file.

When you create a building that is 20*20 lets say, you actually get an extra tile (in tile mode) on the bottom and right side. This is because walls sit on the top/left side of the tile.... so in order to have a building edged with a wall or fence, it requires that extra tile. 

This means that if 2 or more buildings want to share a wall, they MUST share the tile also. I need to test whether the objects actually exist on the overwritten tile. 

For example the tiles you are talking about, if I destroy a fence panel, will there be another one underneath? 

Good suggestion - But not a fix I'm afraid. 

There is a reason I decided to build the fences on both buildings, I'll be damned if I can remember why.... I think it was because I realised the overlap issue, made an assumption and have failed to test this as yet. 

And, on top of this, there are cases where the tiles will NEED to be a specific building... There may be a way I can actually develop the buildings with no overlap... but that could be incredibly difficult due to the shear size and amount I am planning on doing. Plus, the buildings wall tiles NEED to overlap if they are sharing an inside wall.... 

I have spent a few months so far using the tools, and this is the only issue I really don't want to deal with xD I just want to build my damn map!!!! xD 

-TG

Hello! Building files cannot overlap... if you have (say) a fence that connects to two different buildings, you can either:

1) build both buildings in the same .tbx file,

2) build them in separate files with the fences that are attached to the building one tile or so outward, then fill in the missing fence tiles in tilzed

Ok, so I'm testing this by opening and closing TileZed... 

I placed 2 of the buildings that keep overlapping on an empty street... 

Save.

Close and reopen, buildings are overlapped incorrectly - make no changes, close and reopen, buildings are fine... 

rinse and repeat, no consistency .

- I think TileZed is broken.... 

-TG

Thanks for the reply Mash!! 

Thing is, the building files Can overlap... just very inconsistently... I have played and tested a map created with pretty much all buildings overlapped, and it worked perfectly... It was the loading the cell in TileZed that seems to forget the order the buildings are in (top to bottom as such)... 

I literally NEED to overlap the building tiles... in order to share the inside walls to join houses or buildings together, it's pretty much the key concept to the map.... 

I can avoid it generally when the actual walls of the building aren't shared, but in most cases here, there are shared walls. 

I think I have my answer - TileZed Does not remember the order buildings were placed.

From the screenshots I have shown in the OP .... these kinds of buildings are ONLY possible by overlapping the building files. 

[EDIT] {Or by creating in 1 building file, but that leaves me with the 'keys' issue, which I was also trying to avoid }
Generally speaking, the only tiles that need to be replaced are the bottom and right side tiles of any building file.

I would love for whoever made the tool to create a quick fix for this, so when saved, a TMX file would remember the order buildings were actually put on the map. That would solve my issue 100%... 
But, that's asking a lot I guess.... So I'm prepared to create all the buildings, then delete them off the cell, then replace them all correctly before exporting the cell... 

I have tested this like previously stated, the overlapping buildings will render correctly, if exported correctly. 
I still need to test whether the tile that gets overwritten would still exist underneath the overlapping tile; but I presume not, given the blank tiles created when the overlap issue occurs. 

So, I guess I actually get to leave you with some info on that one Mash, you CAN overlap buildings files, but it is inconsistent. 

-TG

Edited by The Googlator

Just as some confirmation, I did just test the overlaps in game. They work fine when exported correctly. 

The order you place them in is effectively bottom to top. 
The first building you place will have it's tiles overwritten by anything placed after and on top of that first building.. 

Where I had fixed the overlaps in TileZed (leaving some out for the testing purposes), and exported, in game the same was depicted as in TileZed. Where buildings that were correctly overlapped were fine, buildings which were incorrectly overlapped were not fine, and, as shown in TileZed, the blank, black tiles were there; at my surprise could be walked on... [See OP]

I couldn't find a sledgehammer out of the 5 buildings I've actually furnished so I will test whether an overwritten tile actually exists underneath the higher building.

-TG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Thank you for this, I'm just starting out with Mapping, and it's good to know that overlapping is possible... That was a big concern for the map I plan on making!!

Tried placing buildings in the order you diagrammed above and it appears to work.... (Top to Bottom) in my case..   I just have a very large building I want to make that runs 800 or so tiles North/South.... And this info will make it possible (hopefully) to get it done.

• 1 month later...
On 31/3/2018 at 6:53 PM, Arsenal26 said:

Thank you for this, I'm just starting out with Mapping, and it's good to know that overlapping is possible... That was a big concern for the map I plan on making!!

Tried placing buildings in the order you diagrammed above and it appears to work.... (Top to Bottom) in my case..   I just have a very large building I want to make that runs 800 or so tiles North/South.... And this info will make it possible (hopefully) to get it done.

How's the progress going ? 

-TG