Smalltown USA

critical jim

Got tired of waiting for a way to clean grime so I figured I'd build my own town. I'll post pics of buildings as I finish them. Inspired heavily by the aesthetics of West Point, in fact, it's a bit of a clone. Didn't want to move but I'm a germaphobe. I'm not great at roofing yet, and I havent quite finished the inside/upstairs windows, but it's late, and here's my first building ever:

grocer.png

15 hours ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

Looking really awesome so far, I love that office building.

Thanks, had to change it up a bit; wanted my police station in the grey bricks. Then I just had to figure out a way to make those pillars more aesthetically pleasing. As long as y'all keep liking what you see, I'll keep posting. Things will get a bit less elaborate as we get further from main street, but charming nonetheless. Any criticisms are welcome, I'm quite new at this. Suggestions on buildings etc are welcome too. I'm thinking if I owned that big building, I'd lease the main street facing spaces to commercial shops, and the rest would be office space. So that's my next move. Got a Seahorse almost ready for display.

Okay, I'll preface this by reiterating that this is gonna look a lot like my favorite parts of West Point. There is some originality but it's not my priority. Even so, I took the opportunity to renovate the town hall... just one or 2 things to make it feel more cozy...

mainst.png

townhall.png

Edited by critical jim

@Queen Glory threw some quick shops together with the aesthetic I'm kind of aiming for. taking a break from gaming, too busy this time of year, but I didn't want leave you hanging lol. I might move it south and put a small fancy restaurant on the corner, not really logical for specialty shops to get the prime real estate, and not even use the main street frontage haha

newshops.png

See that's what i'm talking about man looks good!

2 hours ago, critical jim said:

threw some quick shops together with the aesthetic I'm kind of aiming for. taking a break from gaming, too busy this time of year, but I didn't want leave you hanging lol. I might move it south and put a small fancy restaurant on the corner, not really logical for specialty shops to get the prime real estate, and not even use the main street frontage haha

On 29/11/2016 at 5:44 PM, critical jim said:

Okay, I'll preface this by reiterating that this is gonna look a lot like my favorite parts of West Point. There is some originality but it's not my priority. Even so, I took the opportunity to renovate the town hall... just one or 2 things to make it feel more cozy...

mainst.png

townhall.png

Reminds me a lot of West Point for some reason.

40 minutes ago, critical jim said:

haha that would be the town hall and the coffee shop? if it aint broken don't fix it. although the town hall is being converted into a mansion. i have my reasons..

I'm not hating or anything but it would be better to make something with more creativity, Using buildings that are already in the game seems kind of cheap imho.

2 hours ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

I'm not hating or anything but it would be better to make something with more creativity, Using buildings that are already in the game seems kind of cheap imho.

Then read the first post and make your own town. You've been directly condescending to me 3 times in like 24 hours so yea you are hating. I do have plans to make changes to the police station (it's actually just got a roof, and an east and south wall, just blank space beyond... and its my creation so bit off topic) and the coffee shop (just a filler really, until I can think of something to fill the streets with. funner to zoom out on my town when there are buildings in it), but no, I'm not changing the town hall. Well, other than the amount it's already changed, if you took 2 seconds to compare it to the map. Shall I make my own game? Or at least my own textures. Seems a bit cheap of me just to use the same tiles. Maybe I should invent some other mode of transport; roads are so played out. I'm not hating but gtfo imho

EDIT: If it wasn't your 3rd offense, or if at least you spaced them out a bit, I would take your comments in stride, as I have so far, but now youre just a troll and your opinion means nothing

Edited by critical jim

20 minutes ago, critical jim said:

Then read the first post and make your own town. You've been directly condescending to me 3 times in like 24 hours so yea you are hating. I do have plans to make changes to the police station (it's actually just got a roof, and an east and south wall, just blank space beyond... and its my creation so bit off topic) and the coffee shop (just a filler really, until I can think of something to fill the streets with. funner to zoom out on my town when there are buildings in it), but no, I'm not changing the town hall. Well, other than the amount it's already changed, if you took 2 seconds to compare it to the map. Shall I make my own game? Or at least my own textures. Seems a bit cheap of me just to use the same tiles. Maybe I should invent some other mode of transport; roads are so played out. I'm not hating but gtfo imho

EDIT: If it wasn't your 3rd offense, or if at least you spaced them out a bit, I would take your comments in stride, as I have so far, but now youre just a troll and your opinion means nothing

You must be joking right now.. 1st time was because of this "this game could kill my father and rape my mother and id still play it" And the 2nd time is because you copy pasted buildings which takes very little effort and I don't know what the third one is, Feel free to enlighten me. I'm not trying to be an asshole or anything but you need to stop saying stupid things. (How am I a troll for stating obvious facts??)

Edited by xXSly_WolfyXx

2 minutes ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

You must be joking right now.. 1st time was because of this "this game could kill my father and rape my mother and id still play it" And the 2nd time is because you copy pasted buildings which takes very little effort and I don't know what the third one is, Feel free to enlighten me. I'm not trying to be an asshole or anything but you need to stop saying stupid things. (How am I a troll for stating obvious facts??)

well the first one was a quote from family guy, about cigarettes, which I could have explained, but... 2nd was me politely asking you to clarify and you smugly telling me it was obvious. 3rd, not copy pasted. not even the same building. I copied the general aesthetic because I like that specific building, and it looks like a government building, which is a bit difficult to pull off. not to mention the entire original town I'm building around it but wtv. the 2 little towns they just added prob took months. I go to university and have a full time job, so I'm sorry if the town that I'm building for my own enjoyment isnt quite up to your standards, but I've got other shit to do than worry about whether my buildings are different enough for your approval.

1 minute ago, critical jim said:

well the first one was a quote from family guy, about cigarettes, which I could have explained, but... 2nd was me politely asking you to clarify and you smugly telling me it was obvious. 3rd, not copy pasted. not even the same building. I copied the general aesthetic because I like that specific building, and it looks like a government building, which is a bit difficult to pull off. not to mention the entire original town I'm building around it but wtv. the 2 little towns they just added prob took months. I go to university and have a full time job, so I'm sorry if the town that I'm building for my own enjoyment isnt quite up to your standards, but I've got other shit to do than worry about whether my buildings are different enough for your approval.

All I said was that those buildings could use more creativity. It's called constructive criticism from a fellow mapper. Once again I feel I should state that i'm not trying to be an asshole but I feel like that's how you are viewing my comments.

It certainly is how I'm viewing them, and if you aren't being condescending then you should definitely work on your communication skills. Try things like "I'd like to see your interpretation of what a government building might look like, I sure liked your other buildings" or "could you elaborate" instead of "what the shit" "you must be joking..." "kind of obvious" 

EDIT: In your defense @xXSly_WolfyXx, your last comment was more carefully worded. If you make that effort with all your constructive criticisms, we'll get along fine. And maybe I'll make more of an effort in turn to build my town to your specifications

Edited by critical jim

22 minutes ago, critical jim said:

It certainly is how I'm viewing them, and if you aren't being condescending then you should definitely work on your communication skills. Try things like "I'd like to see your interpretation of what a government building might look like, I sure liked your other buildings" or "could you elaborate" instead of "what the shit" "you must be joking..." "kind of obvious" 

Fair point but it was obvious what was wrong with your comment, I assumed you could figure out what was wrong with what you said. Saying "I would still play this game if it killed my father and raped my mother" is a stupid thing to say and could be offensive to the wrong person.

23 minutes ago, critical jim said:

EDIT: In your defense @xXSly_WolfyXx, your last comment was more carefully worded. If you make that effort with all your constructive criticisms, we'll get along fine. And maybe I'll make more of an effort in turn to build my town to your specifications

Well said sir. (tophat)

5 hours ago, critical jim said:

https://www.tumblr.com/

How did you add that fireplace? I've been dying to add those to my buildings but they along with other things like the entire Mall tileset are just a bunch of red question marks.

Also I kinda like how you're making it look just like West Point it's refreshing from all the new location / new state / new country maps with those crazy buildings (as in good crazy of course) it's like you're giving us a kinda different and (much?) bigger version of West Point with the developers art and building style along with a bit of your own flavor?

Size

On 2.12.2016 at 11:30 AM, hunger john said:

tumblr is okay its not all that bad and that link works better towards feminists and extremely sensitive / annoying people

Edited by zoeyflower