Question about map making

ryanzec

So at some point I would like to (whether or not I actually get to it is another question) create some mods both on the mapping side of things and on the new items / crafting side of things and had a questions on the mapping stuff.

The first question related to overlapping of maps with other mods and even new maps the TIS might provide in the base game. From my understanding of the limited time I have spent in PZ (15-20 hours) and the overlaying feature of map.projectzomboid.com, it seems like that mods can both add new sections to the map (like New Denver) or add content to the existing map (like The Walking Dead Prison). How does PZ handle it if 2 maps occupy the same same in the game world? This can be a problem with multiple map mods if they both add content to the same location but also for maps added by TIS (I mean the latest build added a new map content to the existing map and what if The Walking Dead Prison map was made in the same location that TIS wanted to put Rosewood (or Roosewood, however it is spelt))?

The other question related to the upcoming creative mode. Will this mode be able to completely or partially replace the existing tool set for creating maps / buildings? While I know just because it has been announced and we have seen preview videos of it, that does not determine that it is close for release however it seems like the tools that were shown in the preview videos would be a lot easier to use than what I have heard about creating maps / buildings in PZ and I would not want to spend time learning one tool set when another one is going to replace it. If creative mode would be able to completely replace the current set of tools for map making then I would just work on the items / crafting mod type stuff first.

Edited by ryanzec

On the first question, map mods are readed and overlapped in order, so if i remember right, the last one loaded is the one over.

On the second, i hope Creative will change the way maps and buildings are created now, and i think thats the idea TIS has in mind for it, for all the pieces of info that we have on it here and there, but can tell you for sure on this one. :)

When you create your map, your final map files will be named as the cell they will be placed on. E.g 25_25.lotheader. 

So, given your worries about maps being overwritten and therefore invalid, you would be able to recompile your map using different cords, therefore moving your map entirely. So don't worry about the location of the map you want to make, it can be moved if necessary. 

Regarding compatibility, the map tools should be 100% compatible with creative mode, it would be very difficult for TIS to continue map work if all of Mash's previous work would go to waste. So don't worry about that either. However, The tools are relatively simple to use, although there are some rather annoying issues you may bump into. 

I'd advise at least give it a go with the map tools :)
Nothing to lose. 

I'm currently building a map also, I will be creating a thread once the first cell is done. 

Happy Modding!! 

-TG