Reusable Jars

Aztib

http://pz-mods.net/weapons-items/ReusableJars/

This mod creates a new item - an "Empty Jar with Lid" that can be reused. The jar and lid are treated as one single item and it will be returned to you after it's emptied, so that you can use it over and over again. The game's original jars and lids still exist, but this item will spawn in home kitchens, although it is moderately rare.

Please note, this will only work with the default canning foods - carrots, potatoes, etc. If you have a mod that allows you to can meat or anything else, this jar won't work for those recipes. 

10 hours ago, Crazy ManMan said:

Interesting idea, though that I am not sure that real life canning jar lids are able to be re-used (assuming realism was the goal here).

It depends -- one piece lids are discouraged mainly for safety concerns in the US, outside of commercial usage. Those you can certianly reuse until the lid fails (antique ones were often made of zinc, so they can 'rust' through) or the rubber gasket fails.  Simply making them deteriorate over time and have a higher chance of causing illness (or just rolling the dice on it becoming rotten upon opening) could balance it.

A game-y compromise could also be making lids have a high chance of failure past the first usage, accumulating in uselessness after X uses, with current disposable lids. It'd at least add to the gameplay and end some of these discussions, even if it might not be a good idea (or possibly even possible) in real life.

Likewise with using commercial one-piece jars (e.g. pickle and jams bought at the grocery store)  -- you can do it, but you're taking more of a risk than using accepted practices. Some jars / lids won't take the canning process. Apparently some Amish do reuse these jars until the rubber-rings fail.

Then  you also get into alternatives -- like pickling without sealed jars, wax plugs, and fermentation that aren't represented in the game right now. (And may never be? I mean, the devs eventually have to say "enough." Who knows)

As it's a mod though, none of this really matters -- it's a mod, solving a problem that the OP felt needed to be addressed.

Yeah, I saw the debate about the jar lids in another thread. I'll have to confess I don't know the first thing about canning in real life, but I think it's important to be able to suspend our disbeliefs sometimes when it comes to video games - I'm not sure how realistic it is to be able to kill zombies with a butter knife or climb a rope to a second story window with a backpack full of canned food, either.

As for this mod, I've tried to make sure it's not TOO overpowered - I'm testing right now - cleared almost half of the homes in Muldraugh and I've only found one of my jars so far on normal loot settings. If anyone else is currently using this mod I'd be interested in feedback on whether the jars are too common or too rare.

• 1 year later...
On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 8:41 PM, Crazy ManMan said:

Interesting idea, though that I am not sure that real life canning jar lids are able to be re-used (assuming realism was the goal here).

They are. In RL, you can can goods with glass Mason jars and even gallon-sized pickle jars. You have to seal and boil them. The key is that it has to be an airtight seal to disinfect and pressurize the canned goods. This means that plastic lids don't work in RL, and, assumably, PZ uses modded lids as well.

• 1 month later...