Tired of waiting for NPC's? (SOLUTION)

$SCREAMER$

Now we all know, and respect* that the devs are working very very VERY hard on NPC's but some of us have just been waiting for a really long time, and want to fill our empty single player survival world with some friends. (Now sure, you can just play multiplayer or whatever, but me, throughout my life I've been playing games with bots w/o people and I really enjoyed it. NPCs in this game will have a greater impact to your PZ experience when it does get implemented, but all I really wanted was to have some type of companion/enemy/survivor in the background in my single player play-through.

These mods will give you the ability to spawn NPC's on demand and they will move around and shoot by themselves, Ill let the videos and the mod explain itself.

Recommend Installing Both.

Epic Battle Mod (To spawn survivors on demand, END+DELETE Keys)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=776479138&searchtext=

^Videos in the link

Survivors! Mod (More intellegent survivors)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=786130456

^Videos also in link

THIS GUY UPDATES THIS MOD LIKE EVERYDAY AND IT KEEPS GETTING BETTER, This guy is my favorite PZ modder or overall modder in general. :)

I hope you enjoy these mods as a fill-in for the upcoming NPC's s. :P

EDIT: Use controller if you dont want your NPCs to aim at the same place as you. (Thanks to davisilva26)

*IMPORTANT EDIT* NOLAN UPDATED THE SURIVORS MOD, THEY JUST FOLLOW YOU NOW, W/O FOLLOWING YOUR EVERY MOVEMENT! READ MOD DESC AND DOWNLOAD.

Edited by $SCREAMER$

6 horas atrás, $ SCREAMER $ disse:

Ora, todos sabemos, e Respeito * Que OS devs estao Trabalhando Muito, Muito duro com NPC, mas Alguns de Nós ERAM APENAS esperando por hum ritmo Muito Longo, e QUER Encher O Nosso Mundo Vazio Único SOBREVIVÊNCIA Jogador COM Alguns amigos.

Estes mods LHE dara a CAPACIDADE de Gerar NPC soluçar demanda e ELES VAO se mover e atirar POR si ASSIM, deixar Ill OS Vídeos EO mod explicar-se.

Recomendamos Uma Instalação Ambos.

Epic Battle Mod (Paragrafo Sobreviventes desovar soluçar demanda, END + Delete)

^ Vídeos NA Ligação

Sobreviventes! MOD (intellegent Sobreviventes mais)

^ Vídeos também em Ligação

Espero Que Rápido Rápido Rápido rápido Você APROVEITE cessos mods Como hum preencher PARA O Próximo s do NPC. :P

I played with xbox control, and the survivors will not follow me with this mod.eu quite liked this much fun mod. sorry I was using google translator.
Edited by davisilva26

6 hours ago, $SCREAMER$ said:

Now we all know, and respect* that the devs are working very very VERY hard on NPC's but some of us have just been waiting for a really long time, and want to fill our empty single player survival world with some friends.

These mods will give you the ability to spawn NPC's on demand and they will move around and shoot by themselves, Ill let the videos and the mod explain itself.

Recommend Installing Both.

Epic Battle Mod (To spawn survivors on demand, END+DELETE Keys)

^Videos in the link

Survivors! Mod (More intellegent survivors)

^Videos also in link

I hope you enjoy these mods as a fill-in for the upcoming NPC's s. :P

I played with xbox control, and the survivors will not follow me with this mod.eu quite liked this much fun mod. sorry I was using google translator.

11 hours ago, Zorak said:

Tbh If you want to play with NPCs and you cant wait for PZ to have them, play other zombie games with NPCs. Death Road to Canada is one of my favorite.

Good old state of decay. They are not as deep as PZ but NPCs there are a lot better than in PZ mods.

I mean, I would, its just that there are no other zombie games is like PZ, which is atm one of the most "realistic" zombie survival game. And it just gets really lonely in my single player survival play through. :P and i also played state of decay for like 2 years and i got tired of it :P but it was pretty fun

Edited by $SCREAMER$

1 hour ago, $SCREAMER$ said:

I mean, I would, its just that there are no other zombie games is like PZ, which is atm one of the most "realistic" zombie survival game. And it just gets really lonely in my single player survival play through. :P and i also played state of decay for like 2 years and i got tired of it :P but it was pretty fun

Play multiplayer.

Here's an alternate solution!!

Just grab a old version (1.5d and 0.2.0q are dead. get 2.0r 2.5)

Alternate Solution #2

Try to code a NPC mod yourself. You'll have to deal with the game's limitations though.

Alternate Solution #3

Just wait. be patient.

Edited by Noober84555

On 10/26/2016 at 0:42 PM, Noober84555 said:

Here's an alternate solution!!

Just grab a old version (1.5d and 0.2.0q are dead. get 2.0r 2.5)

Alternate Solution #2

Try to code a NPC mod yourself. You'll have to deal with the game's limitations though.

Alternate Solution #3

Just wait. be patient.

Ive tried doing all of those xD

What if the promise of how good NPC's could be isnt actually possible. Its hard enough sometimes for me to survive a month on the hardest settings. NPC's would most likely be munched within the first couple of weeks in most play throughs on challenging difficulties.  Lets face it, one of the great things about this game is that it can be HARD!  Since Lemmywinks had his breakdown here back in May 2015, stating that he no longer enjoyed  working on the NPC code we have heard nothing at all.  Now as a human being i totally understand that post of his, it was heartfelt and genuine but as a customer i feel that that attitude to a promised feature is unproffesional.  About 2 years ago i wondered to a friend that maybe the NPC bar was set far too high to be achived, and still we wait and see...

Edited by NebNebber

I smell another NPC drama in the air.

NPCs are about to do all the stuff that we can, the problem is that some of those things are not implemented yet.

There is no point in releasing NPCs if you have to redo some parts of their code because they added new skills, mechanics and animations.

The dev team is small so they cant waste so much time on things that get change in future.

And dont expect PZ AI to be next skynet. If you look for unpredictable and interesting interactions with other survivors then play multiplayer.

Yeah i get that, but lets face it that NPC's will have to be smarter than the average noob on MP otherwise all we will find are their corpses and over run safe houses.  I think that Survival Hardcore is too hard for an AI to survive long enough unless they are exempt from Zed detection until the player finds them or something, and i only play thay difficulty and love it.

4 minutes ago, NebNebber said:

Yeah i get that, but lets face it that NPC's will have to be smarter than the average noob on MP otherwise all we will find are their corpses and over run safe houses.  I think that Survival Hardcore is too hard for an AI to survive long enough unless they are exempt from Zed detection until the player finds them or something, and i only play thay difficulty and love it.

Its quite simple, when you see NPC on a screen hes simulated like normal player so all the AI needs to do is not to get killed.

When you dont see NPCs the game will probably just do some simulation. Some stats and skill checks to determinate if loot run was a successful or not, what did he found etc. There is no point in real combat and movement simulation for every NPC in game. As long as you dont see you wont care.

10 hours ago, NebNebber said:

What if the promise of how good NPC's could be isnt actually possible. Its hard enough sometimes for me to survive a month on the hardest settings. NPC's would most likely be munched within the first couple of weeks in most play throughs on challenging difficulties.  Lets face it, one of the great things about this game is that it can be HARD!  Since Lemmywinks had his breakdown here back in May 2015, stating that he no longer enjoyed  working on the NPC code we have heard nothing at all.  Now as a human being i totally understand that post of his, it was heartfelt and genuine but as a customer i feel that that attitude to a promised feature is unproffesional.  About 2 years ago i wondered to a friend that maybe the NPC bar was set far too high to be achived, and still we wait and see...

Oh no, how dare the guy taking most the flak for the  status of the game become somewhat cynical  and develop the attitude that his passion project is now a "job." After several dozen minor crises during the years and realizing your work is the underpinning for most of the criticism of the game, maybe you'd occasionally to feel the same way, too.

It may be unprofessional to not have one's thoughts restrained by a PR team, but I'd be hoping honesty and human reaction is one of those things someone looks for in an indie company, otherwise what's the difference between indie and AAA? I know I certainly feel the same way on my darker days.

It's been mentioned in the Mondoids several times the past few months and on the forums-- animations are part of the NPC code; we'll talk more about NPCs and start their release cycle once animations are out.

Yeah i get it dont freak out bro.   

It often appears that WE are not allowed to speak of NPC's just because TIS have decided not to, its a decision i respect and understand but i would like to point out the etymology of the word 'Forum'.  Its meaning is rooted in concepts of an Open/Public place, a place for Public Discussion.  I dont think i have broken any rules worthy of Moderator intervention, i am just expressing my open opinion in a public place and the fact that it may differ from the most popular views could be seen as a benefit to an Open public discussion, thats how we as a community grow socially rather than just become a dev worship echo box.

Are we not free to discuss NPC's, our hopes and fears respectfully in this place for public discussion?

Im not tryna cause trouble im simply asking, it seems far too often that any negative opinions are shouted down and that simply does not seem very grown up or progressive.

P.s  All hail TIS, saviours of the zombie game genre and indy games! 200+ hours of money well spent!!

Where do you see a moderator intervening?

I'm just expressing my opinion about your opinion on a private forum open to the public about a video game. Just because we might differ in that opinion doesn't mean you're being oppressed. (Hint: I don't necessarily disagree with certain aspects of the above.)

I wouldn't say unprofessional and at this point in my life I appreciate and prefer honesty, especially with an explanation, in this field Devs here are way better than most of the moderators (here or, in general, in other forums) that usually limit themselves to a WAY-MORE-irritating "close topic, because I say so" (one coming to mind right now... :) )

I agree with you NebNebber, I do like PZ and I play it a lot (A Lot!), sometimes I just want tell my opinion and get a rude reply for no reason, so I think I know where you're coming from, but...

Maybe next time use something like: 

"Inb4 topic closed because of people complaining about NPCs..."

:D

Anyway, not only bar is too high, it just can't work the way the vast majority of people expects.

In this game a CPU controlled player can't survive and act "smart" (I mean, without "cheating" and not being predictable-repetitive), the kind of planning and quick decision you have to make sometimes is just too much for NPC; of course you can create a NPC character, but you would end with easy exploitable bots or predictable characters to shoot on sight and/or steal from on a regular basis.

It could be an interesting topic for a discussion, personally I prefer no NPC than a dumb, repetitive NPC, after all, I guess nobody wants a CPU player doing the same things or talking saying the same things all the times with 2-3 variations. It could be good in a game with an end, that maybe lasts 2-3-7-8 hours, where you meet a character once /a static NPC) in a specific point of a "Quest", not in a game like PZ where, let's keep in mind, you can play for 10000000+ hours....

Unless they plan to do a : while you were there somewhere else this happened, but that requires to be random or at least different every time and just requires too much work, for something that could end being just frustrating for the player.

All this especially considering how zombies move in game and how the game handles the cells you're not in...

Edited by Marco1

I sure am glad I bought the game long after NPC's were first implemented and then taken out.

I have nothing but positive things to look forward to.

Unfortunately, It makes a difficult pie where the filling is simmering resentment in the community and the crust is a flaky layer of me not really understanding what the big deal is.

This game is dirt cheap for the value it provides. It is also the most realistic zombie survival simulator on the market, and will remain so so long as the very dedicated team of devs hold on to their dreams and keep plugging away at it.

"When you love something, really love it, you take the good with the bad. I forgot to be grateful, and I'm sorry." -I dream of Jeanie

8 hours ago, NebNebber said:

That is the AI of an NPC from 2 years ago (Holy fuck i feel old, make time stop)

From the looks of it, it has some flaws but still plays better than the normal new-mid player in MP, the idea of that AI from what i remember was that they would be able to survive on the 6 Months Later setting, if i recall correctly they made progress on that.

Now we know that the NPCs have the skill to survive in the game without going full Rambo and shooting everyone with shotguns (like the good ol' days), but the important thing that i expect from the NPCs is when they are handicaped.

Since they are going to have personalities, some NPCs are going to be more able to survive than others, some will leave the doors open, maybe others will be too noisy, not putting sheets on the window, panicking and screaming (this was in the old NPC code, i recall seeing a video of a NPC just saying "THERES TOO MANY OF THEM" running to the other side while leaving his team alone getting muched on).

Here is the mondoid that caused the whole "No NPC in mondois allowed"

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2014/07/its-an-npc-related-mondoid1-no-hype-pls/

The system is there now, the AI is there, i know that they can deliver, its only a matter of waiting.

Not sure you were replying to me too, or only OP...

In first case:

I obviously have watched all the videos about NPC, I know about that , I read mondoids, all ok.

Luckily for me I have no interest in the whole NPC thing, really couldn't care less, of course it would be a nice feature in game, but there are many directions Devs can give to this game (and that's what I like about it) to improve it, with or without NPCs.

I was just trying to be realistic and I will be the first one happy if I am wrong about this...

Honestly I think NPCs should be last thing to add in PZ, when it will be a complete game, not before, that means years and years from today (unless they decide to "drop the ball" at some point or put a ribbon and say "voila' it's complete" as I said in the past in some of my previous post), so even if I was a fan of NPCs, I would be ready to wait for them.
I am sure they could manage to create a working NPC , no doubts about that, but I play PZ a lot (A LOT), please allow me to be skeptical about the final result, that is all I care about.

One thing is to tell them to "do the trick", another one is, for example to make them survive in the long run, and more importantly, in what way, always keeping in mind how the game works and deals with part of maps we are not in, for example; not to mention how they will handle the interaction with human player (I fear all that work will result in a shot-them-on-sight or a even worse "you provide for me... you belong to me..." :D )

I can't see how they can succeed in this considering Devs often struggle with easier tasks (and I say that with the utmost respect, I love the game, I like how they take the time to reply to people on forum and listen what players have to say, RJ is the best and really I could make a great list of good things, however this is not a praise post) and in general smart NPCs in gaming are a rare rare kind and I fear at the moment PZ (in my opinion) is not the kind of game they could work well (I always mean decently, no immersion-breaking, etc. etc.).

I know I am repeating myself so I don't think another post is needed, just writing to say: I hope I am wrong on this one!

If you guys are old enough to remember that one mondoid about the metaverse, I was like holy shit this is amazing, it could do soo much stuff already, and guess what that was 3 years ago, imagine how hard they have been working on it and how much better it is now. 

Tales from the Metaverse.

https://projectzomboid.com/blog/2013/01/tales-from-the-metaverse/

If you haven't already, make sure to check it out, this is pretty much my favorite mondoid in PZ ever :P

On 11/6/2016 at 0:45 PM, NebNebber said:

"We’re tantalizingly close to being able to grab some awesome uninterrupted footage of it working in-game"      

xDDDDDD Oh i can never forget that line xDD However, after the videos, shit started going haywire af, so the devs like, destroyed all evidence. All that you can ever find is some commentary summing up one of the videos done by a youtuber years ago. Damn, if the NPCs could do ALL THAT back then, imagine what they should* be able to do now :P 

On 11/3/2016 at 11:04 AM, Blasted_Taco said:

That is the AI of an NPC from 2 years ago (Holy fuck i feel old, make time stop)

From the looks of it, it has some flaws but still plays better than the normal new-mid player in MP, the idea of that AI from what i remember was that they would be able to survive on the 6 Months Later setting, if i recall correctly they made progress on that.

Now we know that the NPCs have the skill to survive in the game without going full Rambo and shooting everyone with shotguns (like the good ol' days), but the important thing that i expect from the NPCs is when they are handicaped.

Since they are going to have personalities, some NPCs are going to be more able to survive than others, some will leave the doors open, maybe others will be too noisy, not putting sheets on the window, panicking and screaming (this was in the old NPC code, i recall seeing a video of a NPC just saying "THERES TOO MANY OF THEM" running to the other side while leaving his team alone getting muched on).

Here is the mondoid that caused the whole "No NPC in mondois allowed"

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2014/07/its-an-npc-related-mondoid1-no-hype-pls/

The system is there now, the AI is there, i know that they can deliver, its only a matter of waiting.

Bro, I dont think i could have summarized as good as you did. I could not have said it any better :P You are 100% correct bro, imagine, those NPCs could do that back then? imagine what they could do now, after all that "undercover" editing and improvements, Im pretty sure you can even have some sort of walking dead thing happen to you in that game xD like with Negan and everything, except you can play any role in that scenario xD Im rly hyped

NPCs are the biggest thing to me, its taken up years of my life, because I knew how high they were aiming, and Ive believed in them since, for years, i spent countless hours, days, even weeks, researching and waiting for anything NPC related. But overtime, ive come to learn to respect the fact that, "theyre ready when theyre ready" and its been like that ever since for me. But I am entrusting them in their 5 step release plan after the Animations (animations being probably the first step) and I just really hate how people are giving hate on this game, just let them work, and people complain that the 5 step roadmap is "JUST STARTING??" no its not, they even stated on a reply that "who said we werent working on the other steps while pushing out other updates?" You guys, please think before you post is all im trying to say, and please research too, ive found out way more than I wanted in doing so, and thats whats made me come to the mindset to trust the devs because they know what they are doing, and I respect that, even if it takes another 6 years xDDD (Please dont :P) they want this game to finish (including NPCs) 100 million times more than we do. Like many people who has believed said, its only a matter of patience. 

^
This post was just to state my opinion on the game, please, no hate. :P