Help!, Workshop downloads failing on dedicated server startup

aricbee85

Having issues setting up a dedicated server, i made my server using the host button and renamed the ini's servertest, on startup however the window closes after failing a workshop mod download. any help is much appreciated, id really like to get a server up and running

• 1 month later...

I had an issue with this as I just started a server for me and my friends the other day. Basically the steam workshop directory is different than that of the one the server uses when you run it. I'll do my best to walk you through what worked for me.

Go to your steam directory and go to your workshop folder, then continue to content and then 108600 (This is the PZ content):

Yourdrive:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\108600

Now you are going to see a bunch of folders with numbers, each number represents a different mod by ID. Clicking on a folder will open up to a 'mods' folder, do into that will present you with a folder with the name of that mod. Here is an example for a mod I have

Yourdrive:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\108600\532252577\mods

You're going to want to copy the folder that has the name of the mod, and all of the contents with it. Now in another window, go to the following directory:
Yourdrive:\Users\YouUser\Zomboid\mods

From here you will want to paste that folder you copied into the 'mods' folder located in the Zomboid directory. This is the location from which your server is running its mods from from what I understand. Now you will have to do this for each mod that you want to run on the server. After doing this you can delete the mods from the steam workshop directory if you want. If not, you will just have each mod listed twice in the games interface when selecting what mods to enable. Have them both enabled doesn't seem to have any negative impact for me on my sever so I just left them in there. Hope this helps.

The only thing I couldn't seem to figure out was how to get my server to prompt people for a download on the files that they don't have to play on the server. As a result I have had to just send my friends all the mods I am using so they can download them themselves prior to joining the server.

By . . . not doing the above.

Just fill out the workshopID and mods id lines in the servertest.ini file. You can get the workshopID from the URL of the  mod. The mod id can be found inside the mod's structure: workshopID/mods/modName/ It'll be in a text file with id=

The server has its own steamapps directory from which it pulls mods. It downloads these mods itself from the workshop ID. The mod ID then tells the game to load these mods on both the server and the client.

Just now, EnigmaGrey said:

By . . . not doing the above.

Just fill out the workshopID and mods id lines in the servertest.ini file. You can get the workshopID from the URL of the  mod. The mod id can be found inside the mod's structure: workshopID/mods/modName/ It'll be in a text file with id=

The server has its own steamapps directory from which it pulls mods. It downloads these mods itself from the workshop ID. The mod ID then tells the game to load these mods on both the server and the client.

Yeah the above method definitely wasn't my first choice, it just seemed to be the only thing that I could get to work that allowed me to run the server. I did try filling out the appropriate fields in the servertest.ini but looking at where you're saying the mod ID is I may have been using the wrong ID's. The issue was for me that the server would start but then close due to not being able to download them from the workshop.

I just removed the mods and replaced them with the steam workshop items and made sure to use the correct ID's and everything seems to start up just fine. Ill have to wait for a buddy to get on to make sure it works on his end but it looks like you've helped once again. Thanks!

Yeah, it's not the most intuitive process in the world. :(

If your mods still won't download, just delete the manifest file  /Project Zomboid Dedicated Server/Steamapps/. Sometimes Steam doesn't properly do its integrity check, thus failing to download the mods.

Hope I didn't sound too harsh above -- the way you did it is the only way to have a "-nosteam" server for example. :)