Fighting for the wall's HP

Keshash

I don't know, if it's possible to implement some things in this post, so if I sound stupid, please correct me.

The new stage system for carpentry is great, so why not expand it a little bit more?

1. Preparation

Some kind of not required pre-buildings on a tile, foundations and other helpful stuff.

• Trench for the wall. Would require a shovel before and after installation of wall, but no consumables. Minor HP improve.
  • Improved trench with wooden foundation. Requires some planks and a shovel. Moderate HP improve.
  • Even better trench filled with concrete. High HP improvement.
  • Supports from the sides. Requires plank (Or stick) and some sharp thingie like a knife or a saw. Moderate HP improve.  Not compatible with concrete trench.
  • Stacks of materials. Piles of logs, planks and metal. Could work like a container-furniture with only 1 time of item allowed (Could it be done? Like the keyrings.)  © BayCon

2. Correct tools

Bonus points for having all tools needed in inventory! If items like:

• Hammer. It's a basic item for most building recipes, but it would be cool, if one could use crude tools (Stone hammers, stones, etc), instead, to make less sturdy walls.
  • Saw. Isn't usually required, but could be an additional tool, that can improve wall's HP.
  • Ruler. Could come in 3 versions - school ruler, smallest HP improvement; rolling ruler, small HP improvement, but has very low "weight"; special ruler for building, that has some liquid in it, so you couldn't make a wry wall for the best HP.
  • Chisel. Both for metal and woodworking. 
  • Pencil/pen and paper, simulating that character is making blueprints, thus decreasing building time.
  • Toolbox. Similar to current First Aid Kit, contains all needed tools for building, but is very rare loot.

3. The last, but not least

Repairing walls. with some planks/metal in exchange for unusable wood/metal.

What do you think about it? Leave a like and subscribe!

Edited by Keshash

Your ideas are amazing! However, I don't think that having a pencil should increase wall HP. I think a better, more realistic approach is to increase Carpentry experience a little more if they have a pencil to simulate drawing blueprints. 

Now, I've wondered for awhile why you can't repair walls with spare planks and just smack them over it. I also wish that zombies would break one barricade at a time and we'd be able to see it in the sprite for each barricade. That way, hope is not lost if your window is already broken and your barricades break. In RP, you can have a carpenter constantly feeding the window an extra line of defense while everyone else in the base packs their stuff to get ready to leave. 

I also have another carpentry-related suggestion. Perhaps they could create an actual object that shows a pile of planks or longs, so you can stack them in places! You can place more planks in its inventory to increase the size of the pile. However, this would obviously have to be balanced so people don't just drop planks in front of doors and use them as ghetto barricades. That would be OP. 

This would allow me to create a cool little shed to store piles of planks and logs, or just have them stacked next to certain windows for a quick rebuilding of barricades. This could also help the little RP scenario I came up with in my last comment.

I wish we could barricade wooden walls with metal scrap, I don't recall any way to turn wood walls to metal when you have the materials, and tearing down walls is annoying and wasteful. I mean, it wouldn't be like metal walls but it would be better than wood. i'd also like the see how weak a wall is from damage. So you know which walls you'll have to watch out for in case they break.

Yes, seeing damaged wall's sprite would be neat. 

13 hours ago, BayCon said:

I don't think that having a pencil should increase wall HP.

Well, maybe, blueprints instead could decrease building time or something. Imagine, that character is measuring planks, marking places for joints etc.

Originally, I thought that "preparation" part could be an additional stage of building. Like:

Foundation (Optional) => Wall Frame => Wall lvl1 => Wall lvl2 and so on.

13 hours ago, BayCon said:

I also have another carpentry-related suggestion

I added it to the OP, if you don't mind.