Trucking On

nasKo

108600_screenshots_20161008164529_1-712x

It’s a bit of a quiet Mondoid this week, as we continue ironing out the remaining bugs in the new animation system. As such, there’ll be no animation video this week, but we know the wait’ll be worth it. We’re fully aware this is taking its time and some people are frustrated at the wait, but we’d rather take a bit of flack, than release something that will disappoint. Often short 30 second videos give the impression that everything is ready to release so we understand the frustrations, but there really are still too many game-breaking issues that would leave many more people much more frustrated, but we’re getting through them all. We know we can take our time, but when we do deliver we’ll deliver what we’ve promised.

Build Status

Romain continues hammering away on IWBUMS build 35.18, adding the ability to access and modify the server’s database directly, simplifying server management, and hopefully limiting the need for mods to have direct access to the server’s file system.

admindetails.png

He’s also attempted to slay the multi-headed hydra of save scumming, this time by implementing transaction IDs for player actions, commonly used for financial transactions in the real world, so no more copying saves between computers whilst on multiplayer (sorry!) or reloading a backup. This will hopefully solve a lot of problems with cheating that still exist in the game, though its too early to tell if there’ll be any complications that will arise.

Additionally, General Arcade continues putting out new, more stable VOIP builds. Internal testing continues, we’re trying to make sure it won’t crash servers or corrupt saves, not to mention introduce lag. We’re also trying to get the default VOIP settings just right, a Goldilocks task if ever there was one.

WordZed

Turbo has released the first version of WordZed to the modding and translation community! You can find a link here along with a tutorial video  – this will both allow for modded radio and TV data to be added to the game, allowing modders to build in their own lore into the world. In addition to this, Turbo has updated all the language translation files to allow for us to get all the community translations of the radio and TV content into the games. Thanks again to our dedicated translator communities, bringing the news along with Spiffo cartoons to our non English speaking players! After this, Turbo is going to explore how to integrate the in-game radio system with the VOIP, allowing players to transmit their voices across Muldraugh’s virtual airwaves.

Cool Mods

Over on the workshop, someone’s managed to add a lightsaber into the game, for all your zombie-chopping needs.

Nolan appears to have suffered a cloning disaster, perfect for your latest plan to Take Over The World!

Be sure to check out South Wuxburg, USA, as well!

And, Finally

The Small, but Important thread, detailing all those little issues people have with the game that have so far not been addressed, a big focus of build 35, is now over 270 suggestions. If you think of anything small, but annoying, things about Project Zomboid, please add them to the list!

This week’s Multiplayer disaster is courtesy of Lenin, over on steam. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right here! The CBOIT now also flags that our Discord is now open for chat and hijinks.

33 minutes ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

I don't want to be rude or anything but really? How long does adding animations really take because holy shit dude.. At this rate we will be lucky to see them mid next year.

Yeah, Zomboid covered by new wave of frustrating negative reviewes in Steam. I am patience, but many fans can't keep patient anymore. :-(

Edited by Unghin

37 minutes ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

I don't want to be rude or anything but really? How long does adding animations really take because holy shit dude.. At this rate we will be lucky to see them mid next year.

However long it takes, like everything else over the past five years.

28 minutes ago, Unghin said:

Yeah, Zomboid covered by new wave of frustrating negative reviewes in Steam. I am patience, but many fans can't keep patient anymore. :-(

2 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

However long it takes, like everything else over the past five years.

For me the biggest HYPE maker was mondoid from 25 july

Until the animation stuff drops in, we’re also going to refrain from producing and showing videos of the animation build, because there comes a point in the final stages of development where working toward getting a cool video out there for Mondoid detracts from work required to get the system finished off and releasable, and we’ve reached that point now where we need to just knuckle down and get the remaining stuff fixed and out there, a lot of it not very exciting but very necessary. Hopefully there won’t be many Mondoids between now and then anyway, likely one, but it’s too early to know for sure either way.

I didnt expect 1 or 2 weeks but its october now :) I remember when I told my friends back then - lets wait with new co-op play for new animations, 2-3 weeks :D

I can wait but im quite sure that this part hyped a lot of the community.

Yeah, advocating for more depressing / less enthusiastic Mondoids from this point forward. Obviously they were shown off too early and talked about into enthusiastic of a light. Lesson learned, again. :( TIS obviously thought they'd be out sooner, as well, but some bigger issues cropped up once everything was put together.

I dont want to sound rude or anything either, but at this rate and the amount of work that has been put into the animations, i almost expect a very very big overhaul that wont need future updates on the animation department more than testing and optimizations.

The wait for the backpacks and all of that has been since the start of the year, i am patient as many others, but my biggest concern is if we are truly get the full animation build.

For example, from June 13, 4 months ago, we had Career Zeds mondoid, and here is a quote that from that point ondward has been there in a few mondoids:

It’s still unknown just how much of Martin’s work will be going into the first animation build, we’re not sure whether backpacks-on-zombies will be in there for example. 

Then after that there was another Mondoid where they stated that after the animation build drops (stable i guess), RJ would start working on coding the career zombies to different parts of the map, meaning that we wouldn't get the first iteration completed.

By this point i guess me and others are expecting almost everything to be tied into the animations, misc stuff like cooking, reading or even eating since this is the foundation for NPCs and we need to have visual feedback of what they are doing. Also i just hope that the career zombies are in place or some sort of code is working.

There are 3 recent negative reviews complaining about the slow dev time,  which have around more people finding them useful than the positive ones, those people dont have the same patience that we do.

If the animation update is not feature completed when it comes out, the backlash will be huge, it kinda reminds me of RC 1,2,3 (the NPC build) back in October of 2013 or 2012? cant recall, but i do recall the backlash when people who were expecting the NPCs to be amazing started talking shit about the game so other people dont buy it with the typical "We waited so long for this?".

Lets just hope that everything goes fine.

11 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Happy enthusiastic mondoids give them impression things are just about to be released, no matter how unsure TIS is of when it'll actually be ready.

That's bad and should change.

We have yet again the case of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" where if its a entuhiastic mondoid, hype arises and the waiting gets bigger, if you do a quiet mondoid like this, people get upset.

The community (steam wise, we are pretty comfy here) is a boiling pot and each mondoid is just increasing the temperature

7 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Haanicsppy enthusiastic mondoids give them impression things are just about to be released, no matter how unsure TIS is of when it'll actually be ready.

That's bad and should change.

This is totally understandable, I'm as eager as the next man for Animations update but can certainly appreciate the amount of issues involved in basically rewriting the game mechanics, it's exciting to see the new stuff being worked on, it's great to have those cool videos to show work is being done, but nothing is going to keep half of the community from - not trying to to be rude here be - be rude.

I'd like to have a Spiffo cartoon to cheer me up though!

(Kudos on the radio / tv thing though - this gives a whole different (and less technical) bunch of modders a chance to add to their gaming experience)

But oh shit the haters are gonna hate

I don't want to be rude, but I can't say that I don't understand people who are fed up with waiting. I'm find myself checking the forums less and less often as well, looking for other indie games to play. I still hope PZ is going to be finished one day as I'm curious what our devs have up their sleeves. I'm also very fond of finding out how the N... I mean Dragons are going to turn out. Other than that, I even got into 3d modelling a car especially for PZ.

7 hours ago, strategiry said:

so no more copying saves between computers whilst on multiplayer (sorry!) or reloading a backup

As worded, a  MP player is locked to one computer, specific OS install, and a specific hard drive.   Is this correct.

Edited by strategiry

On 10/10/2016 at 3:40 PM, Blasted_Taco said:

I

We have yet again the case of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" where if its a enthusiastic mondoid, hype arises and the waiting gets bigger, if you do a quiet mondoid like this, people get upset.

The community (steam wise, we are pretty comfy here) is a boiling pot and each mondoid is just increasing the temperature

That's a problem whenever you announce a big change to a game. I've seen it happen over and over again. But i'm sure it will be fine when it comes out, things take time, and another reason I don't go to steam for my reviews is because what was said before this about "slow dev time" amongst other things isn't something we need to hear about becasue we already know why. (It's a rather small team doing things from basically scratch)