Composting - How Long Does It Take?

CaptKaspar

I built a compost bin outside, completely filled it with rotten vegetables/foods (no meat, dairy, etc) and have waited for what I think is a week or two. Still no compost. There is no sprite to indicate that there is anything in the compost bin. I have an empty dirt bag in my inventory and a trowel. Do I need a shovel instead?

I know that composting can take a long time IRL, I just wanted to check to see how long it is supposed to take in game. Am I doing something wrong? Or has it just not been long enough? Didn't know if I was experiencing a bug or something.

The compost bin is a usable object. Once you have vegetables/meat in your inventory, or on the ground beside the compost bin, right click on the bin in your inventory screen and there should be an option to make compost. Then you have to stand there while your character manually makes the compost.

It is not, unfortunately, set up to simply leave your rotten vegetables in the bin and let them compost by themselves. I wish it were; right now I have all my rotten vegetables and compost bin in my living room as I have no desire to get eaten or rained on when I make compost (it is not the quickest process). Not very realistic sadly.

Edited by LlostSoul

@LlostSoul Really? Haven´t tested it yet but if that is the case than it should be changed IMO. To my liking PZ has already to much looking at progressbars and with the newly introduced rain-collection with pots/bowls it´s already a similiar system implemented to compost the stuff over time.

Edited by Dr_Cox1911

Update: I did eventually get compost. I wish I knew exactly how long it took, but I estimate it was roughly 2 weeks in game or so.

Eventually a sprite showed up in compost bin indicating I had compost available. An empty dirt bag and a trowel was all I needed to 'harvest' it.

9 hours ago, CaptKaspar said:

Update: I did eventually get compost. I wish I knew exactly how long it took, but I estimate it was roughly 2 weeks in game or so.

Eventually a sprite showed up in compost bin indicating I had compost available. An empty dirt bag and a trowel was all I needed to 'harvest' it.

So, all we need to do is wait? Or do we need to do what said by @LlostSoul ?

1 hour ago, blackteapie said:

Just put rotten food in there and wait (not sure how long, can't recall, must try again with an empty one), at some point you just go there once in a while with a Sack and get the fertilizer (Sack -> Compost Bag) A sack contains 10%, you just go near the box right-click with mouse and select 'get compost' (you'll see how full it is in %); also you can see compost inside (instead of an empty box). I noticed that when it increases you can find worms inside...

With a full Compost Bag you can fertilize 4 times (-20 hours to next growing phase each time) then it's empty again (Compost Bag -> Sack).

Edited by Marco1

6 hours ago, blackteapie said:

I did not have the option to do what LlostSoul said. I can not interact with the compost bin that way. LlostSoul did you have a shovel equipped to do this or anything?

I simply put the rotting veggies (no meats/dairy - I don't know if you can leave them in or not, but for realism/testing I made sure they were not in there) in the compost bin and waited. Eventually the compost bin sprite changed to show compost in it. Once that happened I was able to collect compost with an empty dirt bag.

On 9.10.2016 at 8:00 AM, LlostSoul said:

The compost bin is a usable object. Once you have vegetables/meat in your inventory, or on the ground beside the compost bin, right click on the bin in your inventory screen and there should be an option to make compost. Then you have to stand there while your character manually makes the compost.

It is not, unfortunately, set up to simply leave your rotten vegetables in the bin and let them compost by themselves. I wish it were; right now I have all my rotten vegetables and compost bin in my living room as I have no desire to get eaten or rained on when I make compost (it is not the quickest process). Not very realistic sadly.

Erm, that's how composting works with the hydrocraft-mod compost bin. For Vanilla compost it works as CaptKaspar described it.