Different Forms of Sheet Rope

Gurluas

With Metalworking becoming a thing, and the injury chance on sheet ropes becoming a thing too, I think it'd be nice if we could craft or use different types of ways to ascend floors, with different chances of causing damage.

Heres what I suggest:

1. Sheet Rope: Same as today, same chance to break and cause injury as today.

2. Rope: Cannot currently be crafted but can be found in warehouses and such, greatly reduced chance of breaking compared to the Sheet rope (Being overweight increases it a bit)  but can cause pain, or even hand injury if your strength level is low or you have thin skin. (Can be mitigated by wearing gloves)

3, Ladder: This one is crafted through level 10 metalworking. Ladders cannot break but are extremely hard to craft. They essentially work like pre-35 Sheet ropes. Also ladders are permanent, and need to be removed with a sledgehammer.

This way you can gradually make your hideout safer, but not without working really hard to get the "Almost Zombieproof" hideouts you can have now.

Feel free to contribute.

Edited by Gurluas

I was just about to suggest portable, extendable ladders as an alternative to sheet ropes myself, which are a bit too reliable. But it'd be a pain to move the ladders. Anyway, I think this is a decent way to do it too. Maybe if extendable ladders would eventually break but crafted, permanent ladders don't? Or at least last much much longer.

23 hours ago, Wveth said:

I was just about to suggest portable, extendable ladders as an alternative to sheet ropes myself, which are a bit too reliable. But it'd be a pain to move the ladders. Anyway, I think this is a decent way to do it too. Maybe if extendable ladders would eventually break but crafted, permanent ladders don't? Or at least last much much longer.

The idea is to add risk with both ropes and sheet ropes, but make it possible to make a somewhat safe hideout once you've mastered metalworking. But only safe from Zombie, as you can't just pull up the ladder. When NPCs are added (Or in MP servers) this can be a big deal.

Edited by Gurluas

3 hours ago, Wveth said:

I like the idea of having a ladder that you can pull up, though :D

Wouldn't that just add the same imbalance the current sheet ropes have now though?

The idea is that you have to work hard to get a zombie-safe hideout, but you can't necessarily make it Human-safe too.

Well a human could thwart my pulled-up ladder with a ladder of his own. But I personally care more about what makes sense in the universe of the game than balance. My problem with the sheet ropes now is not so much that they're unbalanced, but that they don't make much sense. You shouldn't be able to climb a sheet rope with two full dufflebags on each arm and one on your back and a bunch of crap in your pockets and and and...

Also, I don't think you should be able to climb a ladder that way either :P  You should only be able to take a very limited amount of stuff up and down ladders. I think that would be pretty balanced.

Well if you strap the dufflebags on your back, you can definitely take them up a solid metal ladder.

Not so much with a sheetrope xD

That and if you have real solid rope, why would you use sheet rope? I think it should be possible to have more options.

Edited by Gurluas

When you equip three dufflebags at once, the idea is that you've got one on your back and one in each hand. You can then carry additional weight up to an absolute maximum of 50 units... somehow? But yeah, it's ridiculous that you can climb a SHEET ROPE like that. But even climbing a ladder like that would be hilarious!

3 hours ago, Wveth said:

When you equip three dufflebags at once, the idea is that you've got one on your back and one in each hand. You can then carry additional weight up to an absolute maximum of 50 units... somehow? But yeah, it's ridiculous that you can climb a SHEET ROPE like that. But even climbing a ladder like that would be hilarious!

I assumed the second was wrapped around the other shoulder. I could carry two duffles IRL, at least for a moment up a ladder.