Things I want to see back in Zomboid (Aiming | Combat | Becoming a Zombie)

LeoIvanov

The things I'd basically want to see back in the game :

The Aiming indicator :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xu-Jendxy4

Aiming at the particular zombies when you shoot a pistol was always nice, especially when you have the ability to level it up as shown in the video (We already have skill in "Aiming").

The Combat Indicator :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWnedqBBpd8

Combat doesn't feel as intuitive right now, although it was partially changed with the addition of RMB clicking to aim, but what would feel even more intuitive is when some sort of indicator is added to indicate where you are aiming or going to hit at. Doesn't have to be that same circle, since the character now hits the -direction- where he's aiming, and not particular place.

Becoming a Zombie (skip to 2:55) :

Becoming a zombie and spectating my corpse wandering about was always an awesome addition for me. With the addition of crawlers now, I'd also love to see the guy who is -torn- apart by hordes to become a crawler, while dying from "a bite in a cozy house" will turn you into regular walking corpse.

Discussing is welcome.

The ability to aim at the head is a big thing in a zombie game imo and I've always somewhat missed that. It's sometimes a bit immersion braking to just mash the feet of a zombie until at some point its brain gets mashed. So a yes for both of the top thingys from me. I'm not entirely sure if the shrinking circle needs to be there though. I'd like to just aim and hope for the best. It could work the same way, but just not show the circle to the player. For example when I aim with a weapon, I always think that I'm aiming precisely at the target but when I shoot I usually miss by a mile :-D. This would have course change with experience.

The last part was discussed at some point and iirc the majority was in favor of the return of the zombie cam.

Some sort of indicator under/near the cursor, to indicate that you've primed a melee swing, or aimed your pistol, would be useful. Despite how obvious it seems to be on the surface, sometimes the character pulling the bat to their shoulder, or levelling a pistol into a firing stance isn't that obvious. I've ended up thwacking doors with a bat on many an ocassion as a result.

Perhaps a little icon popping up to the right of your mouse cursor (handgun, bat, etc. Perhaps the inventory icon of the weapon you're about to use?) or some red text (MELEE, FIRE) when holding down Ctrl would be a good idea. Just a little visual indicator you can toggle on or off in the options screen. Admittedly this isn't the samething as a targeting reticule, but, eh. I think it would be a nice little addition.

I'll always advocate "less is more" for these things, beyond the "become a zombie" when dead. I don't see a need for indicators when other cues already exist for them, such as sounds and the rather obvious effect of a critical hit after charging for X. I'd even go so far as to say replacing the pointer with a simple white dot would be an improvement, rather than a large morphing circle or the regular mouse pointer.

Aiming was in 2.0r 2.5 -- a critical hit, if anything, required aiming and clicking on the head of a zombie.

-snippetysnip- I'd even go so far as to say replacing the pointer with a simple white dot would be an improvement-snap-

Funny you should say that 'coz I typed the exact same words on my comment but because of divine intervention (morrowind anyone?) they teleported when my browser crashed. But yes I agree with you on that. I would like to see aiming regardless, as a higher chance of critical hit.

I'll always advocate "less is more" for these things, beyond the "become a zombie" when dead. I don't see a need for indicators when other cues already exist for them, such as sounds and the rather obvious effect of a critical hit after charging for X. I'd even go so far as to say replacing the pointer with a simple white dot would be an improvement, rather than a large morphing circle or the regular mouse pointer.

Aiming was in 2.0r 2.5 -- a critical hit, if anything, required aiming and clicking on the head of a zombie.

Some sort of indicator under/near the cursor, to indicate that you've primed a melee swing, or aimed your pistol, would be useful. Despite how obvious it seems to be on the surface, sometimes the character pulling the bat to their shoulder, or levelling a pistol into a firing stance isn't that obvious. I've ended up thwacking doors with a bat on many an ocassion as a result.

Perhaps a little icon popping up to the right of your mouse cursor (handgun, bat, etc. Perhaps the inventory icon of the weapon you're about to use?) or some red text (MELEE, FIRE) when holding down Ctrl would be a good idea. Just a little visual indicator you can toggle on or off in the options screen. Admittedly this isn't the samething as a targeting reticule, but, eh. I think it would be a nice little addition.

-snip-The ability to aim at the head is a big thing in a zombie game imo and I've always somewhat missed that. It's sometimes a bit immersion braking to just mash the feet of a zombie until at some point its brain gets mashed.-snip-

I wouldn't mind maybe a menu option for all of the above? It sounds to me like a personal preference and I like all those ideas. But I'd want to try a few and see which ones worked best for me. I can't be alone on this one